Waiting for jump school :ANGLICO
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Waiting for jump school :ANGLICO

A Marine friend of mine visited me recently before shipping to Afghanistan, i told her how i'm joining an ANGLICO unit and how i get to jump.

She told me i will likely have to wait years to get to jump school.Iknow many people have to wait years to go, but it's literally apart of my job so i think i won't have to wait nearly as long.

I hope this is the right thread because i was suggested to ask it here.I used the search feature and couldn't find a post like mine

Any thoughts?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If your MOS demands you go to jump school then you won't wait, you will go straight there and pick up with a class. Kinda like being a rigger I would assume. SOI to Ft. Benning, then to MOS school after that

Thank you for the answer Marine.

1) Youre a poolie, how the hell do you know if your joining ANGLICO or not?

You haven't made it through boot, MCT, 0861/FRO/JTAC/FAC school yet sooooo.....

You don't.

2) If you were really doing your research, you would know that although it used to be required, Jump school is not mandatory for ANGLICO members anymore

It's also most definitely not 'literally part of your job' nor is it essential for mission accomplishment yet.

I'd do a little more research before you go bragging about how you're going to be in ANGLICO, unless ofcourse you're somehow moving across the country to long beach, CA to be a reservist with 3rd.

Oh and I know you arent going around telling people it's special operations either there.

*I also stand corrected if you going to be a reservist with 4th too

look at the big bad pfc in the forums now lol you sure told him

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    1) Youre a poolie, how the hell do you know if your joining ANGLICO or not?

You haven't made it through boot, MCT, 0861/FRO/JTAC/FAC school yet sooooo.....

You don't.

2) If you were really doing your research, you would know that although it used to be required, Jump school is not mandatory for ANGLICO members anymore

It's also most definitely not 'literally part of your job' nor is it essential for mission accomplishment yet.

I'd do a little more research before you go bragging about how you're going to be in ANGLICO, unless ofcourse you're somehow moving across the country to long beach, CA to be a reservist with 3rd.

Oh and I know you arent going around telling people it's special operations either there.

Yes sir i am a reservist so i do know i am filling a billet at 4th ANGLICO, and i spoke to a 4th ANGLICO member a few months ago and he said it will be required of me to jump.No braggin here sir. And i know it's not special ops.(Would be awesome though)

Green light....

You leg!

Get some Army, Whoa -- Airborne!

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    You leg!

Get some Army, Whoa -- Airborne!
    Call me dumb but i don't get what just happened lol

Are you an 0861?

0621 sir.

For what it's worth PoolieM, most ANGLECO guys I cam accross did have their lead sleads "Jump wings". These Marines that I speak of were active duty however, this is congruent with their possible job demands. They have a unique comunications job that entails schooling that includes, but certainly not limited to, JFO and JTAC schools. These jobs at times dictate that they be temporarily detached from their unit and attached to a unit that is jump orriented.

Who's leg?

Quote Originally Posted by PoolieM View Post
    Call me dumb but i don't get what just happened lol
    When and IF, you go to Army Airborne training the Sgt. Airborne's - black hats who basically act like DI's and run the place, they will call you a dirty nasty leg, among other things (they love Jarheads) which basically means that you are not jump qualified, and have not earned your led sled. I know, I know, what does a leg have to do with jumping? Someone who knows, or cares could probably trace some meaning or reason to calling a non-jump-qualified person a leg, but I just think it's part of the whole madness that is the Army.

Whoa.

I see now, thanks to all the Marines who gave the valuable advice.

Thank you Sergeant Airborne Wookie!

"Leg" comes from a post WWII-Mid Korea term. Those who were 'Airborne' qualified were allowed to 'blouse' their trousers. Those who were NOT Airborne wore there trousers 'straight legged'. Therefore, you were a 'leg'.

(Recall in Band of Brothers where the kid gets reamed in the first episode for his trousers looking wrinkled because he was blousing them prior to earning his wings?)

Of course, nowadays, and since the 60's or so, everyone in the army blouses so it doesn't mean as much.

Airborne soldiers are still the only ones allowed to blouse their 'Alpha' trousers and wear jump boots with them, although that is likely going to go by the wayside with the introduction of the 'blue' uniforms. Personally I think it looks sorta stupid, but I understand the history behind it.

v/r
    The Airborne Leprechaun....Benning, '84, 42nd Company.

Thread Information