detective wants to speak to me & my recruiter? whats that about?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

detective wants to speak to me & my recruiter? whats that about?

ok this detective or special investigator called me last week saying he "interviews people who want to join the military and a background check before they go to boot camp" and he is coming to speak to me and my recruiter. but i want to know why? and why me?
    my mom is curious of why he wants to speak to me. my brother was a marine and he says he never had to go through a interview with a detective before. and i dont think any of the other poolees has to go through this. so why me?

Credits
    Savings
    Makes no sense to me----
    If he wants to speak with you why does he need the recruiter there ?

If there is a problem you would already have an idea

Can't hurt anything,give him a meeting.
    I wouldn't offer to share any personal intel--
    Just in case it's a scam of some sort

Report back with results if you choose to share

Yeah, I've never heard anything like that. I'd be cautious. Talk to your recruiter about it. Unless he gives you proof he is a legitimate law enforcement officer (i.e. not some private I who "solves crime" out of his mom's basement) and a legitimate reason why you should answer his questions, I'd tell him "no comment."

i was thinking that. i wouldn't give any personal stuff out either. but hopefully my recruiter will brief me before this guy gets here. he said hes from the united states office of personnel management. something about a security clearance. im not sure what that is..
    the interview is next week. ill be sure to keep you guys informed

What occ field have you chosen?

OPM, that sounds normal. If you are going into a field that requires a TS clearance this guy is just trying to get ahead of the game and contacting you now.

He'll have a set of credentials you can look at but it sounds Legit to me.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    "Just the facts, ma'am"

"All we want are the facts, ma'am"

Credits
    Savings
    Background check before boot? And you haven't even passed through your schools? I had a secret most of the time and occasionally upgraded to top secret...and the investigations didn't take place until I was at Millington or had graduated...What's the point of vetting you before you become a Marine and get through school? But maybe times have changed...

I agree with GT. Security clearances cost thousands of dollars. Top Secret clearances cost tens of thousands of dollars. Can't imagine anyone paying for them until they are ready to pull the trigger and know their candidate needs one. Pretty much everyone in the military has a secret clearance. But think about how many drop out of boot camp. Doesn't make any sense to get the ball rolling early.

Credits
    Savings
    Name Rank Serial number
    Yes and no answers
    Volunteer nothing
    No personal intel

Verify credentials

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    clam up, dont tell him nothin ,tell em you dont want to enlist and you dont want no clearance, thatll teach them to check on you

Quote Originally Posted by tiffykinsx3 View Post
    ok this detective or special investigator called me last week saying he "interviews people who want to join the military and a background check before they go to boot camp" and he is coming to speak to me and my recruiter. but i want to know why? and why me?
    my mom is curious of why he wants to speak to me. my brother was a marine and he says he never had to go through a interview with a detective before. and i dont think any of the other poolees has to go through this. so why me?
    Times have changed. Ask for his/her credentials, look at them, ask who he/she works for and what the purpose is. If my daughter was joining and an investigator wanted to interview her, I'd be there.

I would just proceed with caution and not come off that you are trying to obstruct, but just that you want to be careful.

Couple links that might help:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/gener...rity+clearance

http://marinecorpsbootcampsurvival.c...-boot-camp.php

Cannot attest to the accuracy of the articles, but just as an FYI.

Again....it sounds, on the face of it, legit. OPM has for years been getting slammed for the lateness and delays of it's clearance process. It's possible this investigator (all of whom are contracted by OPM, by the way) is trying to get a jump on things.

Either that or your ENTNAC check got a 'hit' that got someone's attention.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Either that or your ENTNAC check got a 'hit' that got someone's attention.....
    That was what I was thinking, too, and he wants the recruiter to be present to hear what he has to say.

But only the tiffkin... would know if there is something out there that would flag someone's attention.

thanks for the responses. i think ill have my parent come with me along the interview.
    and for the links posted, ill check them out. i guess i have nothing to worry about

Thread Information