Ammo Dump Dong Ha Sept 3,1967 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedph View Post
    Harvey Harrison, did you know PFC Mickey Wilson. He was in Motor-T with 3/3 and on that day, 9/3/67, drove in with his truck and rescued a lot of guys trapped in bunkers while the ammo dump was going up.
    Think I remember a PFC called Wilson don't know what unit he was with can't even remember what he looked like. I supplyed so many units it hard to remember them all. As far as that day all I remember is being on the back burm of the dump then on the ground below the burm where I got blasted to.

PFC Mickey Wilson was a tall, 6'-3" redheaded, freckled faced Marine with 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marines, H&S, Motor-T. He made 3 trips into the ammo dump when it was going up on 9/3/67 with his truck and rescued a bunch of guys he didn't know (they were all from other units). I thought if anyone remembers him coming to their rescue, maybe they would like to know his name. Mickey is alive and well, but does not use the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedph View Post
    PFC Mickey Wilson was a tall, 6'-3" redheaded, freckled faced Marine with 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marines, H&S, Motor-T. He made 3 trips into the ammo dump when it was going up on 9/3/67 with his truck and rescued a bunch of guys he didn't know (they were all from other units). I thought if anyone remembers him coming to their rescue, maybe they would like to know his name. Mickey is alive and well, but does not use the computer.
    OK, looking for my pics from then and we had a tall PFC red hair that was sent to one of the units H&S when we first got to Chu Lai in 1966. Think I have some pics of him and the rest of the unit.

Thanks for checking your pics. Might be another Marine because PFC Mickey Wilson arrived Vietnam on 12/29/1966 and went directly to Dong Ha.

I was in comm center, that by the end no longer was left. Lucky we had another shelter inside center.

My name is Bob Kerr. I was a 2311 in the dump. When the incoming started, I was inventorying bombs in the berms at the far end of the installation. I laid in a old rice paddy for about 10 hours before I finally felt safe enough to head toward the main compound. It was pure hell! When I stood and crawled out, the entire compound was leveled and not a living soul was in sight. I was completely deaf or over 24 hours. I ran cross the air strip to the field hospital, dodging incoming rockets, before I found others.

Credits
    Savings
    I was unlucky enough to be in the shore party rear at Dong Ha right next to the ammo dump when it happened. I had a thing about bunkers I saw 2 get hit at Con Thien, the guys inside were cut to pieces by the splinters from the logs supporting the ceilings so I stuck to the zig zag trenches. When they started hitting Dong Ha I grabbed my 14 and made it to a trench. When they hit the dump It went off like an a bomb. It felt like someone hit me in the head with a baseball bat and it started raining shells and shrapnel and pieces of burning wood then everything started to burn. I skyed to a bunker and stayed there for I don't know how long, hours I guess with a bunch of other SP guys. When I went out there was absolutely nothing left of our rear just smoldering debris. Like a lot of the guys I couldn't hear **** for a few days and my jungles were scorched. A bunch of us went across the air strip near Charlie or Delta med and got some water food and cloths. I stayed there on some cots for a few days then they sent me out to 3/4. I was sure happy to get the hell out of Dong Ha

I was there working on a generator in mag 16 compound stayed in bunker till artilly died down went down hill stayed in slit trench till left on jolly green was ordanace everywhere

Sept. 3rd

I was there when the ammo dump blew up. Iwas on the hill by FLSU 1s Generator shak watching it go off and when the powder want off I thought it was a nuke. the shockwave came across the helo pad,(they had already run from the choppers when the first one had been hit trying to take off) seting fire to the fuel dump. I was backing up in awe of the rising mushroom cloud when the shock wave hit me picked me up and slamed me into my buddy Clair and we were boath throne into a bunker where we stayed all day.
    Hugh B Sullivan
    Sgt. 2140034

Thread Information