I think I chose the wrong MOS
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think I chose the wrong MOS

Hello everyone, I've signed for 0451 Reservist, projected ship date:20120103.
    I chose this MOS as a secondary choice to Recon, I know think this was a mistake and I want to be Infantry. I wanna be on the front lines some day, I wanna be in the ****, ya know? As 0451 I would be attached to 4th Recon in San Antonio, which evidently is an opportunity for some cool training. But what matters most to me is being in the actual physical fight. I have considered applying for MARSOC but I cant find substantial information on who can be a CSO and getting in is not guaranteed. I'm just at a loss of what to do.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I think when you get to boot camp or when you get out sometime you get an opportunity to make sure you have the MOS you desire..it's not like this is the first time anyone changes their mind..although I may be wrong but this is what I have read.

Also, from what I have heard but not actually looked into (only because it's not my field of interest) is that if you are scoring perfect on your PFT and whatnot in bootcamp, you'll be asked if you'd like to reconsider and join Recon...

That's the best advice I have, based on rumor and other poolees and my recruiters...You may have to ask your recruiter or another Marine, although most aren't allowed to post in this part of the forum from what I understand.

Hope it helps. [:

Yeah, everyone wants to be in the sh*t bro. If you really think it's that sexy what is stopping you from calling up your recruiter? And why are you going reserves? If you want to be "in the sh*t" that's your best bet, active duty is always going to deploy. Reserves are just that, reserves.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW2011 View Post
    Yeah, everyone wants to be in the sh*t bro. If you really think it's that sexy what is stopping you from calling up your recruiter? And why are you going reserves? If you want to be "in the sh*t" that's your best bet, active duty is always going to deploy. Reserves are just that, reserves.

Really uncalled for...

Marines are Marines as far as I'm concerned active or reserve. He was asking a question. He stated he wanted to change his mind about being reserve anyhow.

Either way, if you both get through boot camp then you'll be brothers in the end. Treat others as you want to be treated. You won't get far with that attitude.

>Join as a Reservist POG
    >Want to be in the sh*t

Logic here is flawless, Crusader has admitted that he thinks he made a mistake, and I gave my honest opinion. Active duty, 03 infantry. In my experience poolees talk mad trash about how they can't wait to be slaying babies and bodies all day long, then I find out they're going to be admin or legal. Being able to work with 4th Recon would be cool, but it doesn't make you Recon. All those "high speed" outfits have support personnel as well. What the recruiters say he might do, could end up being total lies for all he knows. Unless he gets picked for 8th & I duty or something, infantry is probably going to throw you to a line company.

Like others stated tell your Recruiter to change it, simple as that.
    PNW, you hear that **** also at your local RS. Everybody wants MARSOC/Force Recon/FAST/EOD, I really would like to know the logic behind this because I mean just becoming a Marine should be enough. Maybe this old guy isnt seeing it but like I tell others, "I'll be that POG that supports yall....."

I'm going reserves *cant leave this cake fed gov job* but I'd really recommend if you want all the "coolness" go Active like PNW said.

When I went in for my interview at the reserve center a couple weeks back I asked when I would be able to deploy and from the looks of things now its 2014, yea.....then its a volunteer thing and I'm pretty sure alot of Marines who will have more time in and rank than me will snag that up before me. It is what it is.....Not looking for the slaying of babies while mounted up in a soft door hmmwv that I was not in earlier since I did a in air helo extraction while raining death from a M4 then screaming "GET SOOOOME!!!!!!"

No.....

Young man, you're really lucky that most Marines can't post here in the poolee forum, or they'd rip you a new one.........that was TOTALLY uncalled for! And don't say you didn't mean any disrespect either.
    Just because someone chooses to serve their country being in the Marine Reserves, it doesn't make them any less of a Marine. They go through boot camp just like everyone else does.
    Unless you've EARNED the title, been in the Corps for a few years, and maybe a deployment or two under your belt.......then you can say what you want, but until then, I'd keep your trap shut if I were you.

Oh......and my nephew is a Marine Reservist, and I'm damn PROUD of him!!!

My hats off to all you who are going reserves. No way I could do it, balancing civillian and military life, my current job sucks the big one so i dont even want to keep it. In a lot of ways Reserve is harder than Active duty you dont get paid every day like we do and you also have to keep your normal job on top of staying locked on for whatever your MOS is I know I personally couldnt handle all that.

I'd get ripped a new one for defining what a reserve force is? That's awesome for your nephew, I'm not hating on the reserves. I'm just acknowledging what it is. And from talking to reservists online and in person, the opportunities to deploy are significantly lower than active duty. I'm not saying "active Marines are better than reservists", active infantry battalions will always deploy somewhere. That is guaranteed, and that's why I said if you really want to be "in the sh*t", that would be the way to go.

Saying "you can't say that", doesn't make my statement invalid ma'am.

Reservist get deployed, they fight and get killed just like active duty.
    Whats stopping me from talking to my recruiter - left my phone charger out of town should be getting it back tomorrow.

I'd get ripped a new one for defining what a reserve force is? That's awesome for your nephew, I'm not hating on the reserves. I'm just acknowledging what it is. And from talking to reservists online and in person, the opportunities to deploy are significantly lower than active duty. I'm not saying "active Marines are better than reservists", active infantry battalions will always deploy somewhere. That is guaranteed, and that's why I said if you really want to be "in the sh*t", that would be the way to go.

Saying "you can't say that", doesn't make my statement invalid ma'am.
    Dude, I don't know if you recognize the fact that you are pretty much on your own right now. I understand you trying to stand up for yourself, but trying to convince her of your opinion (which, when you presented it, came off as demeaning) isn't going to help your case. She is a Marine, it is her website. You and I are guests. If I were you I would have taken her last suggestion.

Yes you are correct, 3% of the casualties in OEF have been reservists. They're not being called up as much for OEF compared to OIF, which was MUCH worse considering they were calling up Marines from the IRR to go fight.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    People probably wouldn't be jumping down your throat had you used more appropriate diction. The message isn't bad, but the way you said it is.

As for the OP: No one can really tell you what MOS you should go with, but don't feel too bad about it if you don't know yet. I feel like 80% of the people in my pool have no idea what they want to do. Either that or they change their mind about what they want to do every other week. If anything it's good that you're putting this much thought into it.

If you want infantry then don't leave without that contract.. stop beating around the bush and tell you're recruiter firmly but respectfully you want a UH Infantry contract. And just a warning I know plenty of reservist that want to deploy and arent given the opportunity. So unless you got a really great job or you are going to a great school I would go active duty. Just my advice from what i've seen. But what do I know I'm just a poolee.

Update

My recruiter has informed me that all slots are taken until 2012, so pretty much my only chance will be if someone gets discharged.

Thread Information