Pure Motivation
Create Post

Thread: Pure Motivation

Pure Motivation

I went to a church memorial service for 9/11 and it really was powerful. I've never felt so proud and loved my country so much. There was about 500 people there at the least. But there was one person that really stood out to me. It was a Marine in his dress blues sitting in a wheelchair. He was blind and could barley move and talk. He looked no older than 20 years old. During the service we recognized three sets of people. The innocent who lost their lives that day. The first responders including firemen and police who went inside knowing they would probably never come out. And those who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan in response to the attacks. He asked midway for all the veterans who have fought in Iraq or and Afghanistan to stand up. Everyone turned towards that young Marine in the wheelchair and clapped for what seemed like 5 minutes straight. The pastor had kept repeating this throughout. "You haven't really lived, until you find something worth dying for." That quote really stuck with me and made sense to me personally because I am willing to die for my country. At the end of the service I introduced myself and thanked him. I never asked him what happened because I thought that was rude. But I finally did ask him if he would enlist again knowing what he knows today. He replied 'Oorah'. I'm not a sentimental person in the least but today was really powerful and I thought I would share for motivational purposes.

Great Post. When I go on long runs I always think about 9/11 and the philosophy of the American warrior. Miles pass without me realizing it. And it motivates the hell out of me to do my best in everything I do.

^^^^I need some of those thoughts you have so I can run miles on end.

To the OP, stuff like that always makes me proud of the decision I made. Much respect on having the respect on not asking him any dumb or ignorant questions because I'm sure people do it all the time. I'd do the same thing you did and leave it as such. His current state showed enough of what happened.

Thread Information