Marine Officer Programs - Page 9
Create Post
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by themostwanted1 View Post
    monster,
    so plan to have your package put together and turned in no later than nov. the deadline date is normally a month before the actual board meets.
    If you wait until November, it wont get there in time. Say for example your with a Battalion. After you get your package together, it needs to to go the Battalion CO for an endorsement, then to the Regiment, then Division, before finally going to MCRC for the board. That takes lots of time. Once the MARADMIN comes out the endorsers will put out when they want to see the package. So if it is due 15 November, the division will want to see it by 15 October so they can read the package and put in their .02, and the Regiment will want to see it before 15 September, and the Battalion before that. If I remember correctly I had to have mine done before I think 10 July of the year I applied.

For Brovowisky:
    You only have to go to a college with an NROTC if you are doing certain programs like MECEP or have a NROTC scholarship. If you just planning on doing something like PLC then you can go to whatever school you want. I'm not positive what the cutoff date is off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you looked at the Marine Corps website and pulled the MCO's or MARADMIN's, you'll find what your looking for. You should probally contact and OSO for those questions though, they'll be able to get you better info than me.

It's amazing how long this topic has been going....let me continue it. I have approximately 3 years worth of college credits under my belt and am currently on Reserve Status with the 14th Marines in Richmond, Virginia. I'm interested to learn more about this "bulldog" commissioning process. Is it too late to apply and be accepted into the MECEP with only a year or so left of college? Any and all information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Is it still common for one to enlist in the Reserves and finish college then proceed to OCS? Trying to gather a list of questions to ask my recruiter tomorrow.

Going into the reserves exposes you to the possibility of deployment before graduation. You'll probably need to miss a semster to get trained. I went to Parris Island in January and did not finish MCT and MOS school until July or August. Plus, the command may not release you to go to OCS. Better to graduate or try PLC if the goal is to be an Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutic View Post
    Going into the reserves exposes you to the possibility of deployment before graduation. You'll probably need to miss a semster to get trained. I went to Parris Island in January and did not finish MCT and MOS school until July or August. Plus, the command may not release you to go to OCS. Better to graduate or try PLC if the goal is to be an Officer.
    Thank you, Capt.

Sirs, I'm curious - What percentage of applicants to OCS actually get accepted? (That is, non-prior college grads whose package actually makes it in front of a board). Thank you!

Sorry, but I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcguiregc View Post
    Sirs, I'm curious - What percentage of applicants to OCS actually get accepted? (That is, non-prior college grads whose package actually makes it in front of a board). Thank you!
    There are two options: OCC and PLC (well there is ROTC, MECEP and the academy too), OCC is for college grads only and PLC is for people still attending college. I want to say the split between the two is almost 50/50. If you get a firstclass PFT, have a fairly clean police record and solid GPA (2.0 is the minimum) you shouldn't have any issue being accepted. Though, there is always a possibility you are in a really competitive district so your OSO has higher standards for candidates.

NROTC Scholarship Status

Sirs,
    I'm currently a senior in high school that is enlisted and has a bootcamp date a month after graduation. I have applied for the NROTC Scholarship Marine Option and wanted to know how the announcing process goes? I've heard from my local recruiters that I should be hearing pretty soon on whether or not I recieve the scholarship and I was wondering if you knew maybe a specific day the announce it or in what order of states its done? I asked the Capt. who interviewed me and he didn't reply to my question so I assume that he must not be able to say anything which I understand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Poolee Moura

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    OK, YOU NUMBNUTS!!! Here's a TRUE STORY! Best friend, Bruce Harris, from Naples Florida, got his A.A. Degree, same time as me....66'. He was offered OCS, Lt., AND Flight School....in the ARMY!!! WELL......GUESS WHAT?? My buddy became a Med-Evac Pilot!! He was shot down 3 TIMES, in 10 months!!! ARMY sent his AZZ HOME....TOO MUCH COMBAT!!! Came home, picked up a few things, and drove to West Texas, joined a Commune....and disappeared off the face of the Earth!

IF....YOU really want/need to be an officer, RESPONSIBILITY, is a BIG WORD.....YOU MUST GET ACQUAINTED WITH!!! Acceptance of that word, in the military, means life, and death....for your men!.....DOC

One more question, Sirs. Is it hard to get an age waiver if you're going to be 30 at the time of your commission? Many thanks.

There were 3-4 in my OCS class with age waivers and that was during a time of peace, so I would not worry about it.

Lt. Fairman -
    I am joining the military, but currently am deciding if I should do army or marines. i've always wanted to be a marine, but i am currently in college and am needing help paying for it, and since the army has the most benefits because of their larger budget, that is looking tempting. I have recently been told though that I could do army reserves while in college and also do the marines plc program, and upon graduating with my degree I would switch over to the marines right away without having to finish my army reserves stint (depending on the fine lettering of my contract with the army of course). If you could verify this for me that would be great.

Last edited by atgeorge84; 03-08-09 at 03:05 PM. Reason: bad grammer

Quote Originally Posted by atgeorge84 View Post
    Lt. Fairman -
    I am joining the military, but currently am deciding if I should do army or marines. i've always wanted to be a marine, but i am currently in college and am needing help paying for it, and since the army has the most benefits because of their larger budget, that is looking tempting. I have recently been told though that I could do army reserves while in college and also do the marines plc program, and upon graduating with my degree I would switch over to the marines right away without having to finish my army reserves stint (depending on the fine lettering of my contract with the army of course). If you could verify this for me that would be great.
    This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I do know the Marines Officer Program offers some tuition help, however, by accepting the tuition assistance you are also agreeing to a 4 year contract once you finish your training and receive your degree. Also, please take the time to create your profile.

Quote Originally Posted by atgeorge84 View Post
    Lt. Fairman -
    Fill out your profile and you'll get some answers. Also, Marine is capitalized, read the rules of the site before you start asking questions.

Thread Information