Marine Officer Programs - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    OCS and TBS are two very distinct animals. Yes, some of the same material is covered but way more indepth at TBS. I'll being TAD to OCS this summer so I'll let you know if it has changed from what I remember.

Thats what I thought Sir, I was just making sure I had my facts straight. Thank you for taking the time answer our questions.

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I doubt you'll be having many meetings like the ones in the DEP when you enroll in PLC, but it will most likely differ from office to office. My OSO office was out of Dallas, and we had very few get togethers other than the Marine Corps Ball and pre-OCS.

Mr. Augustus -

You are CORRECT and I am responsible for a typo. I typed "TBS" in the post above when I meant to type "OCS." Thank you for pointing it out!

PLC COVERS OCS in two 6 week programs and you are commissioned upon graduation.

MR Ventura
    MAJ USMCR
    1968-75

Dear Sir, No problem on pointing out the mistake although it was more out of confusion that I pointed it out. Just a question for all of the officers, what is the Marine Corps ball like?

Sir(s) Sgt Jolly here, I was wondering what you recommend the 6 weeks or 10 weeks, I am deciding between the two right now. My OSS is sort of pushing for the (2) 6 week program...

I'm not an OSO but from my understanding you start getting monthly $$ after you complete your first PLC summer. Hence, I would go to the (2) 6 week program.

Caesar Augustus - Not easy to describe what a Marine Corps Birthday Ball is like because no two are the same. I attended my 18th Ball last month and I can say that it was a very rewarding experience. My opinion has changed over the years -- I now feel very honored just to be able to attend because one day soon it will all be over for me.

Sir, I thought that even once you are no longer an active duty Marine that you could attend the ball. I was under the impression that current and former(for lack of a better term) Marines were welcome and that the oldest Marine always passed the sword down to the youngest Marine.

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I chose the ten week course. Both have their advantages. The main one with going for ten weeks is that you complete OCS one shot one kill. Taking the other route gets you more dollars. Thats what it basically comes down to.
    As far as the Ball, it really depends on the unit you are with and how much effort the Ball reps put into it. If you're in a tight unit, rest assured you're going to have a blast. Most start with a cocktail hour, then Officer's Call is sounded, dinner is served, and the birthday ceremony is carried out with the cake and General Lejeune's message. Its a pretty neat ceremony. Lots of history behind it. After that, the party gets underway.
    Please remind me if I forget anything Gentlemen. Flight school is underway and my brain is generally fried by the end of the day.

Cocktail hour wouldn't be any fun for me seeing how I'm such a youngen. I'll only be 17 when I graduate from boot camp. I've heard that an advantage of doing the 2 six week courses is that you arent as likely to get hurt because of the intermissions and if you do get hurt you only have to tough it out a couple of weeks instead of several.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Talking Marine Ball

I attended my first Birthday Ball on 7 Nov this year. I was the youngest, so I was in the ceremony. I had been to a ceremony before, but it was kind of a mini one, not a Ball. It was at a poolee meeting a couple years ago. It was a great experience and I'm happy that I went. Don't worry, I'm only 18, but I still enjoyed cocktail hour... no cocktails required .

Jo

True, once a Marine always a Marine; however, sometimes things aren't so simple. We extend an invitation to the Marine Corps League members in our area but some units may not.

Ahh. Down here We have a big to do. If you went downtown you would see current and past Marines all in their dress blues. I think they had the ceremony at the Bass Hall this year. To say the least a lot of us poolee's went downtown just to see the new and old generations of Marines

Question 3yrs. of college and I want to join

Could an Officer or anyone help with the following questions.

I have 3yrs. of college and I want to join up. Should I go reserves and finish college then try to get the commission???

or should I go active and try to finish will serving active duty then get a commission??

Also can you have MOS 0311 in the reserves???:qmark:

If anybody could help me promptly I would be deeply greatfull.
    Because I want to join your corp!!!

P.S. I have no R.O.T.C. training.
    MY e-mail is posted if you prefer

Thread Information