Marine Officer Programs - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Sorry not a JAG. Was an 0311 for 9 years and have been an 0402 for 9.5 years. Doing my last tour now as a Marine Officer Instructor (MOI).

Ahh ok. Well anything that you can think of that may be of help to me or any of the rest of us aspiring officers would be appreciated sir

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

College Program

Thank you, Captain for chiming in about College Program. I must have been mistaken. Thank you for correcting me.

If you don't mind me asking sir, what college are you the MOI for? How does the schedule there differ from mine (see my previous post)? I always wondered how standardized the program was.

Jo

Auburn <- take a look.

The MECEP/Marine Options are in the NROTC Battalion; however, I seperated them out into our own Platoon (Charlie Co, 2nd Platoon). Almost everything we do is specifically geared towards value-added, Marine specific training. We are trying to create an environment that closely resembles the fleet. I was a MECEP at OU from 91-94 and I can honestly say that Auburn has a very demanding program. Right now we have 34 bodies in the Marine Platoon.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey Skipper (ACTS837),

Congratulations on your years of service and what I am sure has been a rewarding and enjoyable career. Are you planning on sticking around after pinning on Major or are you heading for retirement!!!

SF,

SIXGUNS

About 95% sure I'll punch at 21 (which will give me 2 years TIG as Major) and then start another career. I will be the first to admit that Corps has been good to me.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    If I owned this site, had a computer crash and could only save one post and its threads

THIS would be the one I felt worth saving.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Smile

Hi! I am currently a highschool senior. I have made the mistake of applying for the Navy ROTC scholarship and not selecting MO. What can I do about this now? Should I try to correct this now or wait until college? Thanks for the help!

Gentlemen, Marines and Poolees:

A little scoop on the PLC (Platoon Leaders Class) program. As a college undergraduate you can opt for two six week courses (one must be prior to the summer between your junior and senior years - ie: summers after both your sophomore and junior years). It's the curriculum of TBS (The Basic School) spread over two summers, with a couple of extra weeks added that are necessary for paperwork, and getting back up to speed for the second summer session. You'll go to Quantico and get paid about $3500 for each summer. Your expenses to and from Quantico are paid. You can also receive a monthly stipend in the neighborhood of $300-$350 per month during the school year - but I believe that this is only after completeing the first six week PLC session (I could be wrong on this detail - it's been a few months since I reviewed the specs). This means that your "pay" during your junior and senior years in college can be in the neighborhood of $7,000 per year - not bad while you are still in school. You are commissioned a 2nd. LT upon college graduation. This gives you some TIG (Time in Grade) over those who will elect to attend the 10 week TBS course following graduation as your date of rank/commission will be earlier.

PLC is a great program and I urge anyone in college who is interested in becoming a Marine Officer to discuss it with their local Officer Recruitment Officer.

MR Ventura
    MAJ USMCR
    1968-1975

LT Fairman:

Am I to assume that your present duty station is P'Cola? "Fun in the Sun?"

I have fond memories of P'Cola circa 1969 as both Marine and Naval aviators started down the path to Wings of Gold there.

I regret the passing of a legendary P'Cola Naval/Marine flight institution this past year. The (in)famous Trader Jon's - THE classic "watering hole" closed. Along with it went a ton of Navy/Marine flight memorabilia and a couple of C-5s worth of memories.

My best to you in your pursuit of your Wings of Gold. When you earn them, wear them with the honor that they deserve!

Former Marine Aviator and A6 driver.

MR Ventura
    MAJ USMCR
    1968-1975

Poolees:

As PFC Roborobinson17 stated earlier in this thread, when addressing or responding to an officer, your comment or question should begin with the word "Sir."

You might as well learn this now.

MR Ventura
    MAJ USMCR
    1968-1975

Great interchange guys. Specifically good gouge about the MO... I felt that pain years ago at Duke when, realizing that I could never be a squid, I applied for MO only to be turned down twice in a row because my GPA was low (realizing I WAS at Duke, I was happy to be on track to graduate). However, I managed to pull up the GPS with the requisite fluff courses (Intro to... everything) and got accepted the semester before OCS. Many times I have seen the scene played out in my head where I could just have 'checked the box' for MO vice Navy Option- it's so simple then but sooo painful later. Anyway, I made it thru OCS, TBS a few other schools and 7 deployments so here I am today 15 years later.

You guys hit the nail on the head about little Officer Involvement here. However, in defense of my much-maligned Field Grade peers, most of us (me included) have family, kids, work and tons of stuff that keeps us off the computer during leisure time. No excuse for gaffing off an opportunity to 'mentor', so I will come online a few times a week as possible in case you want the advice of us 'older, mature, not quite yet broken' Officers of Marines. In the interim, the Lt and the Midshipman are doing just fine fielding all questions. And to think, I would have been off drinking and chasing girls if I were a Mid or Lt again....

Semper Fi Lads.

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Dear Sir, Thanks for the good scoop on the money available during college while completing the PLC program. I wish I had applied for all the available funds.
    For those wishing to apply, do your research and make sure you know about all of them. Like the Major said, there's alot out there.

Sir, Maybe I misunderstood but when you said that it was the curriculum from TBS spread out, I thought that it was OCS split into two six week course. In no way am I trying to correct you sir, just trying to get my information straight

Caesar

Sir, also once you are enrolled in the PLC do they have regular meetings like they do in DEP. Also is just up to the OSO to determine whether or not you go to mini OCS?

Caesar

Thread Information