Marine Officer Programs - Page 21
Create Post
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody243 View Post
    Hey Lt. Fairman. I am looking into the USMC for basically the same reason your in it, I want to fly. I am 18 years old, and about to graduate High School, but i currently cannot join because i am recovering from a shoulder injury. My thinking right now is while i wait to be healed back up to 100%, i will just get a semester or maybe my freshman year at college out of the way, and then during that summer join the Reserves, then apply for PLC after i get back. Do you think that would be a good path for someone to take? Also, dunno if it means anything, but I scored a 97 on my ASVAB, so would that help my chances of getting accepted to the PLC program at all? And I am also working towards getting my civilian pilots license as we speak, so do you think that would increase my odds of getting into the Aviation community? Also, my eyes are bad, so i would have to get PRK lasik, which im sure would lower my chances of getting in. Just curious about the thoughts of someone who is doing basically the same thing i want to be doing 4 years from today. Semper Fi LT. and thanks in advanced
    Cody the last time Lt Fairman was on LN was June of 2005 so I don't think he's going to respond. And didn't Commander O'Shea, who did what you want to do, give you advice on this subject????? To have a Naval Aviator and officer take time to give you advice and then you ignore it and ask the same questions of some one else is just disrespectful

Best if you go talk with a recruiter son

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

My bad :P sorry about that

Quote Originally Posted by Cody243 View Post
    I am 18 years old, and about to graduate High School,
    My $.02: you need to focus on your college education right now. It's great to have goals (a mission) but that by itself is not enough. You need to have a plan. And step one for you is getting your degree. If you're about to graduate HS, you need to do everything you can to go to college (at this point, getting scholarships to pay for your education) and do well (study, study, study...and STAY OUT OF TROUBLE). Once you get a year or two under your belt, proving you have some level of commitment, you'd be ready to talk to an OSO about PLC.

I can't stress staying out of trouble enough. Seems like there have been more and more folks getting on here wanting a warm fuzzy about the Marine Corps overlooking something they did that was stupid. Well, let me make this clear: why would the Marine Corps want to put people that can't even take care of themselves in a position of leadership where they'll be expected to take care of someone else? Just something for everyone to think about. (My $.02 anyway.)

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    My $.02: you need to focus on your college education right now. It's great to have goals (a mission) but that by itself is not enough. You need to have a plan. And step one for you is getting your degree. If you're about to graduate HS, you need to do everything you can to go to college (at this point, getting scholarships to pay for your education) and do well (study, study, study...and STAY OUT OF TROUBLE). Once you get a year or two under your belt, proving you have some level of commitment, you'd be ready to talk to an OSO about PLC.

I can't stress staying out of trouble enough. Seems like there have been more and more folks getting on here wanting a warm fuzzy about the Marine Corps overlooking something they did that was stupid. Well, let me make this clear: why would the Marine Corps want to put people that can't even take care of themselves in a position of leadership where they'll be expected to take care of someone else? Just something for everyone to think about. (My $.02 anyway.)
    Excellent points Capt. And I agree, with the way things are why should any branch bend over to accept a sub-standard candidate when there are so many who excel in so many areas?

Absolutely Sir. I have to say, I am becoming more and more disconcerted with the number of "I did something stupid" posts. I'm not sure where the problem originates, but it seems that this new generation is substantially deficient in creativity, critical thinking, judgment, and responsibility. Hopefully the tid-bits offered on this forum will encourage some of these young bucks to think before they act (e.g. stay in school, think twice before getting tattoos, don't break the law -- underage drinking, theft, assault, etc.) And hopefully for those that do make a mistake, they develop the moral courage to admit their fault, pick-up, and keep moving forward!

Oorah Sir.

Credits
    Savings
    I hear you on that. No worries there. I am a straight A and B student with no criminal record other than 1 parking ticket. And also, college is my first step i think. And to respond to a couple previous posts and express my apologies, I did not mean any offense to anyone who has given me advice before ( i.e. USNAVIATOR, or the others) i am just trying to get more opinions to help me make an informed decision if and when i choose to make it. Thank you all for the advice

Absolutely Sir. I have to say, I am becoming more and more disconcerted with the number of "I did something stupid" posts. I'm not sure where the problem originates, but it seems that this new generation is substantially deficient in creativity, critical thinking, judgment, and responsibility. Hopefully the tid-bits offered on this forum will encourage some of these young bucks to think before they act (e.g. stay in school, think twice before getting tattoos, don't break the law -- underage drinking, theft, assault, etc.) And hopefully for those that do make a mistake, they develop the moral courage to admit their fault, pick-up, and keep moving forward!

Oorah Sir.
    Sir, Thank you for a post like this. I leave for PI August 8th and my brother is set on being a Marine as well. He is under the impression that he can give up now on school and hard work since he will enlist and they will take him. At 15 he is heading towards some serious mistakes and I will be showing him your post and USNAviator's. I have so much respect for the Marines I know. Nobody is perfect and I am far from it but too many people use that as an excuse not to try. Thank you sir.

Credits
    Savings

Oorah Sir.
    Capt. I think a lot of it comes from peer pressure, as it always has. But we all have a moral compass and when the compass is showing us we're heading in the wrong direction it's time to make a course correction and get back on track. Those who can do that will be OK, it's the others who end up in trouble

Thank you spending some of your time helping out these youngsters

Fair winds Capt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Most have a moral compass, but with many, it is in the "off" position.
    Dave, just like a magnetic compass, I think that many of them forget to factor "declination" into their moral compass settings.

Seriously, many of the examples in our current society - from celebrities to athletes to politicians... even clergy - show that there are minor consequences (if any) for certain moral choices. We are a "forgiving society" and in many ways, that's good. In other ways, not so good. The societal paradigm has shifted to seeking forgiveness without the requisite pennance or remorse. Overall, in my opinion, it's a lack of societal accountability - and that's a rude awakening for many when they run into accountability for the first time.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    Dave, just like a magnetic compass, I think that many of them forget to factor "declination" into their moral compass settings.

Seriously, many of the examples in our current society - from celebrities to athletes to politicians... even clergy - show that there are minor consequences (if any) for certain moral choices. We are a "forgiving society" and in many ways, that's good. In other ways, not so good. The societal paradigm has shifted to seeking forgiveness without the requisite pennance or remorse. Overall, in my opinion, it's a lack of societal accountability - and that's a rude awakening for many when they run into accountability for the first time.
    Well said Major!!! I see you got that Thesaurus I sent you......

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    As usual, 03Mike has hit the nail on the head. No one's accountable. When that happens, guess what happens???
    When no one is accountable, society becomes accountable... and just like making decisions by committee, nothing ever really gets done. We all own 1/300,000,000th of the responsibility - so, who cares? Right?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfairman View Post
    Hello All.
    My name is Lieutenant Fairman, and I invite any of you who are interested in becoming a Marine Officer to post your question. I will do my best to answer it myself, and should I not have the knowledge, I will do my best to find out and get back with you.
    I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves in '98 and worked as an FDC man for HQ Btry, 14th Marines throughout college. I was commissioned a second lieutenant through the PLC program on 01AUG02. I am currently in flight training pursuing those coveted wings of gold. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here, just wanted to give an idea of my background. SO... any questions concerning officer programs, fire away.
    hello sir your just what i need- im thinking about applying for a scolarship for NROTC in my junior year- i have a 3.8 GPA and run track and cross country i run a 6:43 miles, and i need to know these things please:
    1. how do i apply?
    2. based on the info above would i be legible for scholarship?
    3. what are people looking for when offering scholarships?
    4. whats the basic timeline of steps from applying to graduating NROTC?
    thank you for the help- its well apreciated!

futureMarine19, the Officer you quoted hasn't been on this site since 2005, and the post you quoted was posted on 10-28-03, 06:46 PM. I don't think he'll be back anytime soon.

While this is the internet and you may not think it's a big deal, but to some of us it is, try using some proper sentence structure, like capital letters at beginning of sentences, capitalizing the letter "I", periods at the end of sentences, and punctuation marks were needed.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    futureMarine19, the Officer you quoted hasn't been on this site since 2005, and the post you quoted was posted on 10-28-03, 06:46 PM. I don't think he'll be back anytime soon.

While this is the internet and you may not think it's a big deal, but to some of us it is, try using some proper sentence structure, like capital letters at beginning of sentences, capitalizing the letter "I", periods at the end of sentences, and punctuation marks were needed.
    Thanks Lisa, I don't think he got my message. You've asked this before and I responded. You have a 3.8 GPA ? Based on what, 10.00 scale. Read the rules, don't double post and show respect.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by futureMarine319 View Post
    hello sir your just what i need- im thinking about applying for a scolarship for NROTC in my junior year- i have a 3.8 GPA and run track and cross country i run a 6:43 miles, and i need to know these things please:
    1. how do i apply?
    2. based on the info above would i be legible for scholarship?
    3. what are people looking for when offering scholarships?
    4. whats the basic timeline of steps from applying to graduating NROTC?
    thank you for the help- its well apreciated!
    Listen $sswipe, you have Navy Commander, an aviator (pilot to you) trying to help you out. Listen to him. Don't rock the boat or it will surely dump you in the brine

Thread Information