Marine Officer Programs - Page 20
Create Post
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob824 View Post
    Thank you sir. I will have an Associates Degree before I leave for PI. Does that make any difference? I did a dual enrollment program with the local Community College so I will graduate HS and CC at about the same time.
    Read this

- Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program, i.e., MECEP. The Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) is designed to provide outstanding enlisted Marines the opportunity to become Marine Corps Officers. MECEP is open to all active duty Marines and Marines in the Active Reserve (AR) program who meet the eligibility requirements. Marines successfully completing the program receive a Baccalaureate Degree and a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps Reserve. Selection is based on an individual's potential for commissioned service as demonstrated by their service record, previous academic record, and evidence of career and academic self-improvement.

The basic eligibility requirements for the program are as follows: Corporal or Above

At least 20 years of age but less than 26
    Ranked in the Top 50% of high school class or GED score of 75
    SAT score of 1000 or ACT of 45 or EL score of 115

- Meritorious Commissioning Program. MCP. If you are recommended by your chain of command, and have a little bit of college (75 credits), you can apply for commissioning. If selected, you attend OCS, get commissioned, and then have to complete your degree on your own within a certain time period. Board meets several times a year.

The Meritorious Commissioning Program allows commanding officers to nominate qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program, who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential, for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process is contained in MCO 1040.43A.

MARADMIN 278/02Highlights major changes to the MCP.
    MCO 1040.43A
    • MARINES WITH AT LEAST 75 SEMESTER HOURS OF ACTUAL COURSEWORK
    • A LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE FROM AN NROTC AFFILLIATED COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY
    • U.S. CITIZEN
    • BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
    • GOOD MORAL CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY
    • NOT PREVIOUSLY FAILED ANY OFFICER PROGRAMS
    • AT LEAST 21 BUT NOT OLDER THAN 30
    • AFQT => 74 OR SAT=>1000 OR ACT=>45
      NO WAIVERS OF TEST SCORES WILL BE CONSIDERED.

The Enlisted Commissioning Program allows qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program to apply for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process are contained in MCO 1040.43A.
    MCO 1040.43A
    • MARINES WITH A FOUR YEAR BACCALAUREATE DEGREE
    • U.S. CITIZEN
    • BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
    • AFQT =>74 OR SAT=> 1000 OR ACT=>45

Excellent. This spells it out very clearly. The MECEP program looks to be the option that I should set my sights on for now. Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Read this

- Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program, i.e., MECEP. The Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) is designed to provide outstanding enlisted Marines the opportunity to become Marine Corps Officers. MECEP is open to all active duty Marines and Marines in the Active Reserve (AR) program who meet the eligibility requirements. Marines successfully completing the program receive a Baccalaureate Degree and a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps Reserve. Selection is based on an individual's potential for commissioned service as demonstrated by their service record, previous academic record, and evidence of career and academic self-improvement.

The basic eligibility requirements for the program are as follows: Corporal or Above
    At least 20 years of age but less than 26
    Ranked in the Top 50% of high school class or GED score of 75
    SAT score of 1000 or ACT of 45 or EL score of 115

- Meritorious Commissioning Program. MCP. If you are recommended by your chain of command, and have a little bit of college (75 credits), you can apply for commissioning. If selected, you attend OCS, get commissioned, and then have to complete your degree on your own within a certain time period. Board meets several times a year.

The Meritorious Commissioning Program allows commanding officers to nominate qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program, who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential, for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process is contained in MCO 1040.43A.

MARADMIN 278/02Highlights major changes to the MCP.

MCO 1040.43A
    • MARINES WITH AT LEAST 75 SEMESTER HOURS OF ACTUAL COURSEWORK
    • A LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE FROM AN NROTC AFFILLIATED COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY
    • U.S. CITIZEN
    • BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
    • AFQT => 74 OR SAT=>1000 OR ACT=>45
      NO WAIVERS OF TEST SCORES WILL BE CONSIDERED.
    The Enlisted Commissioning Program allows qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program to apply for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process are contained in MCO 1040.43A.
    MCO 1040.43A
    • MARINES WITH A FOUR YEAR BACCALAUREATE DEGREE
    • U.S. CITIZEN
    • BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
    • AFQT =>74 OR SAT=> 1000 OR ACT=>45
    Awesome that actually helps me because i think ive got 89 credit hours so the MECEP might be something i can try for. As I've only got an associates and I scored a 69 on the ASVABs.

ETA: Im dumb Im already 26 so thats out. That MCP I guess would be the only real way of becoming an officer for me.

To start I'd like to say there is a GREAT amount of information on here that I couldn't find about a year ago! Thanks for all the help to you guys! I've read all the posts and if anything on here is redundandt I do apologize in advance. I have some questions and would appreciate the insights of everyone.

I'm currently in the DEP and am going into the USMC Reserves on May 9th as a PFC. I was previously a HSSR (high school scholarship recipient) for the USAF and did a year of ROTC. I drop the scholarship for personal reasons and decided the Corps was where I wanted to be. I am now trying to find the best route to become a Marine Officer. I have already made contact with my OSO but this is great place to get solid advice. My MOS is currently 0355 but I plan to change that soon. My recruiter knows as well that my ultimate goal is to be an Officer, I was told I qualified for Officer programs at MEPS and I need to find the best route. I have 3 years left of college. My ideal route would be MECEP but thats only for Active Duty if I understand correctly. Also, the Naval Academy is not out of the question for me. I'm open to the BEST route I can find.

As far as MOS after commissioning goes I want to pursue an Air Contract. Whats my best route?

Thanks for all of the help!

Credits
    Savings
    First of all I'm glad I was able to help you all. I'm also glad you're considering going the officers route and thank you for being respectful.. Rare on this site, unfortunately

I'm enclosing three links. The first is probably the most useful. It's the Marine OCS site. It's similar to LN. Just log on and start searching

The second link is about PLC. Perhaps some of you are not familiar with it. It was the way I obtained my commission

The final link is admissions to the Naval Academy

Someone asked about an air contract. Only Air and JAG are the guaranteed MOS at OCS. I went Navy Air and it took nearly 3 years to train me. You must be active duty. Also you have an 8 year commitment, all of it active duty and it doesn't begin until you earn your wings, not when you are commissioned. So expect to be in for the long haul. The Navy/Marines aren't going to spend years training you so you can leave after 5 years

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

http://www.marineofficerprograms.com...-class-plc.php

http://www.usna.edu/admissions/

I do have another question: My ASVAB is 68 and needs to be higher. Do you know if I can retake it before I ship? My ACT is 49 so I do have a qualifying score. Again I appreciate the help, sir.

I think you only have to meet one of the test requirements. So your ACT of 49 should qualify you.

Also, for those of you planning to enlist and pursue MECEP, MCP, ECP...make sure you work hard and prove yourself in the fleet! Your SNCOICs and OICs will (likely) have a significant part in submitting your package or not -- you need to prove to them that you're worthy for consideration.

Just something to think about. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfairman View Post
    Hello All.
    My name is Lieutenant Fairman, and I invite any of you who are interested in becoming a Marine Officer to post your question. I will do my best to answer it myself, and should I not have the knowledge, I will do my best to find out and get back with you.
    I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves in '98 and worked as an FDC man for HQ Btry, 14th Marines throughout college. I was commissioned a second lieutenant through the PLC program on 01AUG02. I am currently in flight training pursuing those coveted wings of gold. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here, just wanted to give an idea of my background. SO... any questions concerning officer programs, fire away.
    Im not entirely sure it this was answered here, and I also dont want to waste space making a new topic unnecessarily. Can anyone or any Marine who knows alot about the Platoon Leaders Course Option message me as much as they can about it? Im being pushed into a corner here in terms of when I want to enlist, and whether or not becoming an officer is the right decision for me.

Last edited by FutureDevilDog7; 04-02-11 at 01:48 PM. Reason: I forgot to specify Marine(s)

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog7 View Post
    Im not entirely sure it this was answered here, and I also dont want to waste space making a new topic unnecessarily. Can anyone or any Marine who knows alot about the Platoon Leaders Course Option message me as much as they can about it? Im being pushed into a corner here in terms of when I want to enlist, and whether or not becoming an officer is the right decision for me.
    I posted these links in a few posts above. The first one is about PLC, the second is the OCS Portal but has a PLC section

http://www.marineofficerprograms.com...-class-plc.php

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Thanks for the links great info on these sites!

V/R Jrr0801

Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    I think you only have to meet one of the test requirements. So your ACT of 49 should qualify you.

Also, for those of you planning to enlist and pursue MECEP, MCP, ECP...make sure you work hard and prove yourself in the fleet! Your SNCOICs and OICs will (likely) have a significant part in submitting your package or not -- you need to prove to them that you're worthy for consideration.

Just something to think about. Good luck.
    Thank you sir. I was told at a pool function yesterday that I may yet get the NROTC Marine Option Scholarship. Either way I am ready to earn the title of US Marine.

This question might have already been answered but I'm going in enlisted but plan on going to OCS at some point in my career. I will take all classes necessary to get a bachelors degree, however I haven't taken my SATs or ACTs in school. Are they necessary to go to OCS or can I go without?
    Thank you for your time.

Hello Sir, I was wondering if you pass the ASTB and score high on your PFT and pass all physical/mental examinations, are you good to go to be accepted into OCS?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey Lt. Fairman. I am looking into the USMC for basically the same reason your in it, I want to fly. I am 18 years old, and about to graduate High School, but i currently cannot join because i am recovering from a shoulder injury. My thinking right now is while i wait to be healed back up to 100%, i will just get a semester or maybe my freshman year at college out of the way, and then during that summer join the Reserves, then apply for PLC after i get back. Do you think that would be a good path for someone to take? Also, dunno if it means anything, but I scored a 97 on my ASVAB, so would that help my chances of getting accepted to the PLC program at all? And I am also working towards getting my civilian pilots license as we speak, so do you think that would increase my odds of getting into the Aviation community? Also, my eyes are bad, so i would have to get PRK lasik, which im sure would lower my chances of getting in. Just curious about the thoughts of someone who is doing basically the same thing i want to be doing 4 years from today. Semper Fi LT. and thanks in advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Cody243 View Post
    Hey Lt. Fairman. I am looking into the USMC for basically the same reason your in it, I want to fly. I am 18 years old, and about to graduate High School, but i currently cannot join because i am recovering from a shoulder injury. My thinking right now is while i wait to be healed back up to 100%, i will just get a semester or maybe my freshman year at college out of the way, and then during that summer join the Reserves, then apply for PLC after i get back. Do you think that would be a good path for someone to take? Also, dunno if it means anything, but I scored a 97 on my ASVAB, so would that help my chances of getting accepted to the PLC program at all? And I am also working towards getting my civilian pilots license as we speak, so do you think that would increase my odds of getting into the Aviation community? Also, my eyes are bad, so i would have to get PRK lasik, which im sure would lower my chances of getting in. Just curious about the thoughts of someone who is doing basically the same thing i want to be doing 4 years from today. Semper Fi LT. and thanks in advanced

Try talking with an OSO.......and also do a search on the site, PRK/Lasik Surgery has been covered before.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

Thread Information