Marine Officer Programs - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Yes it does sir. You're entitled to speak on whatever you want Not to mention its something interesting to hear that I'll never attempt. Here's a question. What do the OCC people skip out of OCS seeing how they only attend 1 10wk course while the PLC go to two six week courses? Couldn't think of anything else to ask but I didn't want to disobey a direct order

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up Interesting

You can talk about whatever you want, sir, especially that since I want to be a pilot .

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The PLC program has two options. (See earlier post) Freshmen and Sophomores are generally sent to two separate summer terms of six weeks. These courses are known as PLC Juniors and PLC Seniors.
    Juniors and Seniors (College juniors and seniors... not to be confused with the PLC juniors and seniors courses) are sent to what is known as PLC Combined. It is a ten week course identical to the OCC class. Remember... OCC is for those who already have a degree.
    As for the reasoning why one course takes 12 weeks total while the other is 10 weeks total.... keep in mind that candidates returning for PLC Seniors have been away from OCS for one or two years, and they have probably forgotten a few things. It probably takes about a week to get everybody spun up to where they need to be to pick up where they left off in the PLC juniors course.
    I know that all this is about as clear as mud, so if there are still questions, keep asking them.

Credits
    Savings
    WMJets... In your NROTC program, are there gauranteed aviation spots, ground spots, and law spots? I was wondering, because I've spoken to several Mids, and it seemed like a few of them had their air contract in the bag. But then again, one of my roommates at TBS went through regular MOS selection like everybody else.

Credits
    Savings

MOS guarentee

As I understand it, sir, if your grades in college are good and you're performing well in the battalion, you could get a guarentee, but this guarentee can be taken away if you screw up. The difficulty of the selection process varies depending on demand for certain types of officers. If you don't get a gurantee, I'm pretty sure you go through the normal selection process like everyone else.

Jo

Registered User Free Member gemntx's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Good Job!

Thanks to jdfairman and WMjets for taking this post to task.

I would like to help, but any information I give would be outdated (25+ years). I came through the NROTC scholarship program. I was one of the fortunate ones that switched from Navy option to Marine option. I received a lot of "special attention" from the MOI and AMOI. When I went through they (USMC) had an aviation guarantee. Does that program still exist?

Keep up the good work, it's valuable information.

jdfairman: Enjoy your time in P-cola, it's hard to believe that they actually pay you to do that. Just remember, the reason you're up in the air is to support that guy on the ground.

WMjets: Work hard and stay focused, your opportunity will come. Remember to have fun in school, get the education, the degree will follow.

Glenn McGlaun
    Phrogs Phorever

Credits
    Savings

Aviation guarantee

Welcome aboard, sir.

Yes, the aviation guarantee does still exist; that is what I'm trying to get. I don't yet know a lot about the process, only what I've been told, which is basically what I wrote in my last post. How did it work when you went through? I'm also curious to know how the whole NROTC program has changed since you went through. Thank you for your input, sir.

Jo

Credits
    Savings
    Major GMENTX, I notice you are from the colony sir... my neck of the woods. I graduated from Denton High School and went on to Tarleton State. My old reserve unit is located at NAS JRB.
    Anyways sir, when I went through TBS last fall, there were only two or three open spots for pilots and NFO's. Most of the spots are already filled by gauranteed contracts.

Semper Fi Sir...
    Welcome Aboard

Credits
    Savings

Wink Aviation Guarantee (In the old days)

When I went through the program, we had to take the AQT/FAR (Aviation Qualifying Test/Flight Aptitude Rating). I believe it was scored on a scale of 0-7. In order to be considered you had to score at least a 3/3. Since I had been in Aerospace Engineering, it was not that difficult. As you had mentioned in your earlier post, the underlying criteria is "Needs of the Marine Corps". Remember that phrase, you will hear it often in your career. Part of the equation is your performance at the unit. Personal performance is an important factor in everything that you will do in the Marine Corps.

As far as how the NROTC program changed? If I had to apply using today's standards, I probably would not get into the program. I was fortunate to go to Texas A&M and participate in the unit there. At the time (mid seventies) the Vietnam war had just ended and the military was drawing down. America still needed young, new officers. However, while I was at school I knew several Air Force cadets (Pilot designates) who were released from their contracts and found themselves looking for a job two weeks before graduation. I'm pleased to say that the Navy/Marine Corps did not have this problem. At the time the NROTC unit at school was in fact expanding. I just attended the 25th year reunion on the Company that I was a member. It was quite interesting to be back on campus. I've gotten a little long winded here. Bottom line, the cadets today are smarter and it appears that they rely on that intelligence a little more than raw strength and motivation.

Glenn

Credits
    Savings

ASTB

Now, sir, they have the ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery). It's a timed test with six subjects: Math Verbal, Mechanical Comprehension, Spatial Appreciation, Aviation and Nautical Biographical Inventory (not graded), and Aviation Interest (graded?). The minimums are: Pilot-3/4/4, NFO-3/4/3, and USMC-4/6/4 (I'm not sure what these mean...). I learned this stuff from a Navy lieutenant here at the unit, so I don't know the specifics as far as the USMC (i.e. is the USMC score the minimum regardless of what you do?). Your GPA is also 45% of your selection package, reccomendation of your Naval Science professor is 10%, and I'm assuming that all of the other 45% is the ASTB, but they didn't say.

If you hadn't already guessed, I'm only a 4/c (fourth class - basically means I'm a freshman) and I don't know a whole lot about this yet.

Jo

Credits
    Savings

My week

I did have another question, sir. How did your week then compare to mine now?

MY WEEK
    Monday ~ 0545-0700: Battalion PT
    Tuesday ~ 0545-0700: Remedial PT (PT for Navy options who failed their last PRT and optional for non-remedial midn -mmmmmmmmmmmmmiiMOs who fail PFT are switched to Navy option)
    Thursday ~ 0545-0700: Remedial PT
    mmnnii''''''~ 1530-1630: Battalion Close Order Drill
    mmnnii''''''~ 1630-1730ish: Marine PT (MECEPs and MOs only)
    Friday ~ 0600-0700: Marine Training (class to help prepare us for Bulldog/OCS)

Jo

Credits
    Savings
    Let me preface my comment with this statement: The Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M is like no other. Yes I am biased in this opinion and make no apology for it. With that out of the way, the different service branches (Army, Air Force and Navy/Marine) did not get involved with the daily operations of the Corps. Our schedule was fairly easy to understand:

0530 Reveille
    0600 Freshmen fell out for inspection and testing of knowledge.
    0645 March to chow
    0700 Breakfast
    0800 Rooms had to be ready for inspection
    1630 Unit activities (PT, Drill etc) This was the time that extracurricular organizations would meet (Drill Team, Recon Plt, Ranger Plt, etc)
    1730 Formation/March to chow
    1800 Evening Meal
    1900 Call to Quarters (All underclassmen at their desk studying)
    2200 Taps/Lights out

This is what I remember from my freshman year. Obviously the upperclassmen had different privileges in regards to Call to Quarters etc. When we had to run the PFT it was usually in the morning before breakfast. We would get the classroom prep for Bulldog during our Junior year with a Pre-Bulldog training period after finals of the Spring semester and before we shipped to Quantico.

Stick with it, you're going to do fine. Michigan is a good school. One of my Co-Pilots was from Michigan, and aerospace engineer. He's now flying for United. Outstanding pilot, officer and gentleman.

Good Luck
    Glenn

Credits
    Savings

WOW

I don't know how you had time for all of that, sir. Lack of time is my biggest problem, and that would still be true if I wasn't in NROTC! I'm still "adjusting" to college life... or least I hope that's all it is. Battalion functions don't take a lot of time here, especially compared when you were in the program, but U of M likes to monopolize on my time!

Jo

Chiming in here on the NROTC comments. College Program students do not get any funds from Uncle Sam until they get selected for advance standing (usually Junior year).

Marine Option (MO) Scholarship is by far the best way to go if your parents aren't rolling in the dough and you have good grades/SAT scores. College Program students can get selected for a MO Scholarship if they post a high PFT and good grades their freshman year. Competition is tough that is why I encourage Midshipman to take school serious.

You wouldn't happen to be a JAG would you Acts837? Just wondering because thats what I plan on becoming and if you are I would pepper you with questions

Thread Information