Marine Officer Programs - Page 18
Create Post
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    hey new to the site. i went to a Marine recruiter today because i had a question on PLC. but he wasn't sure because the school i go to (technical school) is a year round school and he thinks that schools degree system might not count..so he gave me the number of a Officer recruiter today but its a little too late to call him tonight so i will tomorrow. but i tried looking up the information online but couldn't find anything so i figured someone here could help so, if anyone here knows or can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

i am a freshmen at a tech college that doesn't have a ROTC program or anything and right now i am enlisted in a associates program (electrical/re new-able energy.. only associates degree available) but once i graduate from that my tuition is already locked in to transfer for a bachelors program(electronics engineering).i made sure i was enrolled in the bachelors program as well so after graduation i can peruse OCS . so i would assume that the school i am in now and the degree paths is ok?

but here is my question... in the summer since my school is year round.. i will have ONLY a 6 week summer break.if i choose not to take classes, but i really want to go to PLC but what are the odds that the PLC 6 weeks fall on the same 6 weeks i have off?

does anyone know when the PLC programs take place during the summer?

any help would help me SO much.

You can probably get an idea about the dates for PLC classes at marineocs.com.

However, I would not count on the dates lining up. I would recommend pursuing PLC once you are in the bachelors portion of your education, assuming it has a normal scedule with summers off. If not, you will need to strongly consider OCC after you graduate.

And one last recommendation: please use proper capitalization and grammar. You can carry yourself with confidence in the 'real, physical world,' but your typing is how you present yourself in the electronic world. And if you do not have time to press 'shift' I am not convinced you have time to lead Marines.

Hello Marines,
    I am a senior in college right now and a while back decided that the route of the Marine Officer Program is for me. I have spent the last couple months doing as much research as possible and I think it is time to goto a recruiter/OSO to get further information. However after doing the research i have found that acceptance to OCS is very competitive and that everything can be a test. I am in the process of improving physically after a recent injury and am at around a 185 PFT score. I am a little apprehensive, however, that arriving to speak with an OSO in this physical shape will reflect poorly on me. Is this irrational or should I wait to go until my fitness is improved?

Thanks for your help.

1. We never do anything because it's easy.
    2. Sounds like you know what you need to work on, so keep at it.
    3. Never hurts to speak up, ask for info, convey your intent, and maybe even get some help or motivation.

Just my $.02

Thanks for the answer, sir.

I'm not sure if I understand the first bullet point, but in regards to the rest, yes, at this point I feel like I do have a good understanding of what I should be doing(Improving my PFT). However, I feel like it definitely couldn't hurt to get some info and show that I do have definite intent, but I dont want my present condition to reflect negatively on me in the future in the eyes of the Marine Corps. I am thinking that I may be being too cautious, but, I guess I'm just very worried about putting together the best and most competitive package possible.

Thanks again.

[quote=phi519;743655]Thanks for the answer, sir.

I'm not sure if I understand the first bullet point,
    quote]

You seemed concerned about putting together a good package because OCS is very competitive. My point was that none of us became Marines because it was easy or not as competitive. Or in other words, don't let the fact that OCS is competitive deter you from doing what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by phi519 View Post
    I am in the process of improving physically after a recent injury and am at around a 185 PFT score. I am a little apprehensive, however, that arriving to speak with an OSO in this physical shape will reflect poorly on me. Is this irrational or should I wait to go until my fitness is improved?
    You are a senior, so time is a critical factor. Here's my two cents...

I would not advise going to the OSO when you're only running a 185 PFT. The bare minimum to qualify to ship to OCS is a 225, and most candidates going nowadays are looking at a minimum of 250. I have heard some receiving the advice to not plan on shipping unless they are at 285 or better. Of course, a lot depends on the area that you are shipping from -- your competition is local / regional.

If your injury was such that you will recover quickly, then by all means, push yourself hard. It would be okay to reach out to the OSO via email or phone, but I wouldn't plan on seeing him until you are at least running a 225. An inventory PFT will be one of the first things he'll want to do.

Why is the PFT so important? All of OCS is a test, and they know that the type of stress used at boot camp won't be effective on officer candidates, so they use PT as a stressor. They run your butt ragged with the ever present threat of dropping you if you fall out of a run or score less than a 225.

OCS being competitive, you need to be well above the minimum required. Minimum acceptable standard won't cut it for someone vying to become an officer of Marines.

Keep working on your PFT - especially your pull ups... Good luck.

ammermda-
    Ok I understand what you meant now and I agree. I know it's going to be a difficult path and I welcome the challenge. I think adversity is what makes life interesting. I am very headstrong and stubbornely motivated once I commit myself to something. I believe I have what it takes to earn that title but I guess only time will tell.

03Mike-
    Thanks for the answer. That's mostly what I was getting at. I am completely recovered from the injury, I just find myself out of shape due to the downtime of the recovery. I have no doubt that I can get there, its just going to take some time to get back to where I used to be. I will hold off contacting the OSO until I reach at least a 225.

As far as the pull-ups go I am using the Armstrong Pull-up Plan. Would that be the best?

Another question I had was a timeline one. What is the average timeline from contacting an OSO to being accepted into OCS and then to shipping to OCS?

Thank you to everyone for all of your help.

I am a senior in high school and I want to be an officer. I enlisted in the reserves so I can still go to college. But I don't want to be a reservist very much. Would it be better if I went active and did online courses? Or should I just stay in the reserves and do PLC?

Hello Marines I have been a member of this site for about a month or 2 so far and I am looking to get an Intel MOS I have also been thinking about possibly hitting up OCS.

I have been trying to find the requirements for OCS but havent been too, too successful in doing so. I'll give you guys some info to see if that will help you Marines advise.

I am going to be 27 this April. I am going to try and join the DEP by the end of the month latest the beginning of next month. I have already taken my ASVABS my total score wasnt that great it was a 67 my line scores were Mechanical was like 130 my GT was 119 my elect was about 110 or so and my clerical was 107. I presently have my Associates degree from a technical school with about 89 to 90 credit hours, and by the time I graduate from boot (knock on wood) I'll be just shy of 28.

Does the deck seem stacked against me for getting into OCS, or is it just going to be really tough inorder for me to get into OCS?

Thank you Marines for your assistance I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by phi519 View Post
    As far as the pull-ups go I am using the Armstrong Pull-up Plan. Would that be the best?

Another question I had was a timeline one. What is the average timeline from contacting an OSO to being accepted into OCS and then to shipping to OCS?
    Armstrong is a good program - the key to this one, or any of them - is to do it regularly and without fail. Folks who say it doesn't work generally are those who do it intermittently.

Timeline - well, that all depends on your local situation. As a senior in college you're quickly running out of time. It also depends on how many other folks in your area are looking at going to OCC. Wouldn't hurt to give the OSO a call here in the next couple of weeks, but I'd recommend waiting for the face to face meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by James321 View Post
    I am a senior in high school and I want to be an officer. I enlisted in the reserves so I can still go to college. But I don't want to be a reservist very much. Would it be better if I went active and did online courses? Or should I just stay in the reserves and do PLC?
    If your goal is to become an officer of Marines, then go to college.

If your goal is to enlist, enlist.

Getting your degree on active duty is feasible, but don't count on doing it on your first enlistment. Just as a basic picture, figure that you'll probably have 8 - 10 years of active duty before you complete your degree. Yes, some folks can do it faster, but from my experience 8-10 years is a realistic estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Hello Marines I have been a member of this site for about a month or 2 so far and I am looking to get an Intel MOS I have also been thinking about possibly hitting up OCS.

I have been trying to find the requirements for OCS but havent been too, too successful in doing so. I'll give you guys some info to see if that will help you Marines advise.

I am going to be 27 this April. I am going to try and join the DEP by the end of the month latest the beginning of next month. I have already taken my ASVABS my total score wasnt that great it was a 67 my line scores were Mechanical was like 130 my GT was 119 my elect was about 110 or so and my clerical was 107. I presently have my Associates degree from a technical school with about 89 to 90 credit hours, and by the time I graduate from boot (knock on wood) I'll be just shy of 28.

Does the deck seem stacked against me for getting into OCS, or is it just going to be really tough inorder for me to get into OCS?

Here's some basic info, but I'd encourage you to talk with an OSO.

Maximum Commissioning Age: before your 31st birthday for ground MOS's, you cannot be older than 29 1/2 to be commissioned under an aviation contract.

Vision: Must be correctable to 20/20 for ground officers.

Degree: Must have a 4-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited college of university at the time of commissioning. Must be making satisfactory progress toward that degree (or have the degree) in order to enroll in a commissioning program (OCS). You must have a minimum GPA of 2.0

Must pass the Marine Corps PFT with a minimum score of a 225. (Minimum pull ups = 8, minimum crunches = 70, minimum 3 mile run = 24:00. Please note, that if you score the minimum in each category, you still won't score a 225 or above. However, even if you score above a 225 but don't achieve the minimum in one of these categories, you are not qualified).

Must meet height and weight standards.

Must pass a physical.

Must pass the ASVAB with a QT score of 74 or higher or have an SAT score of 1000 or better or an ACT score of 22 or better (these are minimums - and to the best of my knowledge are correct, but that's why I say talk to an OSO)

Must be a U.S. Citizen.

Must be of sound moral character (waivers are much more rare than if you are trying to enlist).

Keep in mind what I said about minimum standards - OCS is pretty competitive, but it isn't impossible.

So, with that being said, if you are interested reach out to your local OSO.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post

You've received some good advice here, not much I can add. However you don't mention anything about PFT. Are you working out? At your age getting and staying in shape will be more difficult than someone who is 18/19 or even 22

Also take a look at this, it's similar to LN . You'll need to register but you'll find lots of help

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Best of luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    You've received some good advice here, not much I can add. However you don't mention anything about PFT. Are you working out? At your age getting and staying in shape will be more difficult than someone who is 18/19 or even 22

Also take a look at this, it's similar to LN . You'll need to register but you'll find lots of help

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Best of luck to you
    Thank you for the info sir. I honestly am not sure of my PFT (it is probably terrible though) I am not in the DEP yet by the end of the month I hope to be though.

Now would my recruiter be able to help with me getting in contact with an OSO or helping me with the OCS information or do I need to speak with the OSO directly?

Thread Information