Marine Officer Programs - Page 17
Create Post
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ÓGlaisne View Post
    If there are any folks on here who are presently or have previously gone the route of PLC, I would be very interested to hear about the expectations of the student going in. As well, I would appreciate any kind of insight on what the process of initiating talks with a Officer Selection Officer to get the ball rolling is like.

I had only recently learned of this program and would love to know more but I hesitate to bother the Officer Selection Officer before I'm more familiar with the particulars of the program.

Thank you.
    Yes, marineocs.com is very helpful. Bottomline, get to your OSO. They will have the most accurate information and can get the ball rolling for you. Do not hesitate to ask questions, that is their job. Be advised that this past cycle and the winter cycle have been very competitive as another Marine mentioned. We had potential candidates denied with 280 PFTs and good packages. So PT away!

do the students get paid when at ocs?

Yes, they are paid at the rank of Sergeant (E-5).

I've filled out the NROTC scholarship and am currently waiting to find out whether or not I was accepted. My question is: What happens if I'm not accepted into one of the five universities I listed on the scholarship application? I haven't been able to reach the Capt. in charge of my package, and we don't have an OSO at our recruiting office, so any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for anyone who can help!

Goodness Lt. Fairman, I'm quite a bit late but thank you very much for answering ALL of my questions.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Lt Fairman,
    I actually have multiple questions. First off I am currently enlisted in the Navy and have found it boring and useless. I am ready to take the next step in maturing and take on some real responsibility and a real challenge. I wanted to join the Marines originally but was talked out of it by my family,gf, and Navy recruiter. So I figure now is the time to do what I want and should have done. I would like to become a Marine officer but have no idea how besides OCS or ROTC. Are there any programs to go Navy enlisted to Marine officer that you know of? Also do you know anything about ground intel? And how are officer MOS's selected? And also how is Marine OCS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cschlegel12 View Post
    Lt Fairman,
    I actually have multiple questions. First off I am currently enlisted in the Navy and have found it boring and useless. I am ready to take the next step in maturing and take on some real responsibility and a real challenge. I wanted to join the Marines originally but was talked out of it by my family,gf, and Navy recruiter. So I figure now is the time to do what I want and should have done. I would like to become a Marine officer but have no idea how besides OCS or ROTC. Are there any programs to go Navy enlisted to Marine officer that you know of? Also do you know anything about ground intel? And how are officer MOS's selected? And also how is Marine OCS?

Thanks
    Know this isn't directed towards me; hope you don't mind if I try to answer some of your questions. First, I am unaware of any official programs for Navy enlisted to Marine officer. As far as I know, you would have to go through a Marine Officer Selection Station and speak to an OSO. You would go through the same main officer ascension route that most officers come from. Essentially you can go through either a six, ten, or twelve week session of OCS depending on where you are in college, NROTC, or have already graduated college. Go to www.marineofficer.com or www.marineocs.com for more info on these programs. I do know for certain that there are officers that were enlisted in other branches that went this route, but I've never heard of a specific program. I apologize if I'm wrong.

I don't know specifics of ground intelligence. I do know that it is a tough MOS to get and that you will go to Infantry Officer's Course (IOC), and a ground intel school post TBS.

Now for MOS selection. After OCS, all officers (whether Naval Academy, NROTC, or PLC/OCC) will go to The Basic School (TBS). This is where I'm at now. MOS selection is basically based off a quality spread, needs of the Marine Corps, and other variables such as your Staff Platoon Commander (SPC), being uniquely qualified, etc. You will rank your MOS' in order of preference. Certain MOS are more competitive based off high demand, and some are competitive off the sole fact that there is a small amount of slots each class. For example, infantry officer is not the easiest to get because many officers want it. The Intels (ground, air, human, and sigint), tankers, etc. is hard to get because there are only a handful of slots each class. The quality spread is broken into thirds. Thus you can be the top of the bottom third and have a better chance to get your top MOS choice than bottom of the top third. Just a way to make sure every MOS has quality Marines.

I won't get into trying to describe OCS in detail. You can probably get a good idea reading around here or the other websites I listed. Think of it as a leadership screening school. There's the elements commonly associated with boot camp...just add more emphasis on leadership.

Hope this at least gives you a better understanding of the process. Good luck!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Ok so my next set of questions. First off what if any are the Marine Corp policy on tattoos and what about the prt (physcial readiness test)? Also is there any reading material you would suggest to read before going to OCS? I know when I was in Navy basic they issued us a book "The Blue Jackets Manual" which is an overall guide line to naval history rules ands regs different boats/ships and so on. It was just a book of everything useful during basic and your time in. Is there such a book for the Marines? What else could I do over the next three years while still in the Navy to better prepare myself for Marine OCS?

The most important thing you need to do is get in shape. You should be able to run three miles close to 20 min and be able to do 20 pullups, 100 crunches. If you can't, your peers and instructors are going to think you are a sh!tbird and not respect you. You'll find out about "spear-evals". I went to OCS about 6 months after I graduated recruit training from Parris Island so I thought I was in shape. The vast majority of candidates were star college athletes. The PT is WAY harder than bootcamp.

I don't think you need to read or study anything to prepare for OCS. There are several books available from amazon on Marine leadership and such but I have never read any. The following is a reading list I found which may or may not be up to date:

Private, Private First Class, Lance CorporalForesterRifleman DoddHeinleinStarship TroopersHubbardA Message to GarciaMillerThe Bridge at Dong-HaSimmonsU.S. Marines: 1775-1975VariousU.S. ConstitutionWebbFields of Five
    Corporal, SergeantBarberThe War of the Running Dogs: The Malayan Emergency, 1948-1962CampbellThe Old Man's TrailCardEnder's GameChapinUncommon Men: Sergeants Major of the Marine CorpsCraneThe Red Badge of CourageDavisMarine: The Life of Lt Gen & USMC (Ret) Lewis B. (Chesty) PullerHammelFire in the Streets: The Battle for Hue, Tet 1968LeckieThe Buffalo Soldiers: A Narrative of the Negro Cavalry in the WestMarshallSoldier's Load and the Mobility of a NationMcCormickThe Right Kind of WarSchellBattle LeadershipSwintonThe Defense of Duffer's DriftThomasonFix Bayonets!UrisBattle CryWestThe Village
    Staff Sergeant, Warrant Officer, Chief Warrant Officer 2, Warrant Officer 3, Second Lieutenant, First LieutenantAmroseBand of Brothers: E Co. 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne: From Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's NestAmbrosePegasus Bridge: June 6, 1944AspreyWar in the Shadows: The Guerilla in HistoryCollinsCommon Sense Training: A Working Philosophy for LeadersEnglish & GudmundssonOn InfantryFuller Grant and Lee: A Study in Personality and GeneralshipGiapHow We Won the WarHaganAmerican Gunboat Diplomacy and the Old Navy, 1877-1889HolmesActs of War: The Behavior of Men in BattleHynesFlights of Passage: Reflections of a World War II AviatorKeeganThe Face of BattleLaquer & AlexanderTerroism ReaderLiddell HartStrategyLindManeuver Warfare HandbookManningThe Middle Parts of Fortune: Somme and AncreMoore & GallowayWe Were Soldiers Once and Young: La Drang, The Battle that Changed the War in VietnamMoskinThe U.S. Marine Corps StoryMoskosThe Military: More Than Just a JobNolanOperation Buffalo: USMC Fight for the DMZNyeChallenge of Command: A Reading for Military ExcellenceRommelAttacksRossIwo Jima: Legacy of ValorSajerThe Forgotten Soldier: The Classic World War II AutobiographyScalesFirepower in Limited WarShaaraThe Killer AngelsSherrodTarawa: The Story of a BattleSulzbergThe Fall of EaglesSun TzuArt of WarVariousU.S. ConstitutionWillockUnaccoustomed to Fear: A Biography of the Late General Roy S. Gieger
    Gunnery Sergeant, First Seargeant, Master Sergeant, Chief Warrant Officer 4, CaptainArdant Du PicqBattle Studies: Ancient and Modern BattlesChaliandGuerrilla Strategies: A Historical Anthology from the Long March to AfghanistanDoughtyThe Breaking Point: Sedan and the Fall of France, 1940FallStreet Without JoyHackettProfession of ArmsHastingsBattle for the FalklandsHeinlVictory at High Tide: The Inchon-Seoul CampaignHiggenbothamThe War of American Independence: Military Attitudes, Policies, and PracticeHoffmanOnce a Legend:"Red Mike" Edson of the Marine RaidersHooker Maneuver Warfare: An AnthologyHorneThe Price of Glory: Verdun 1916Infantry School (U.S.)Infantry in BattleIsley & CrowlThe U.S. Marines and Amphibious War: Its Theory, and its Practice in the PacificKeeganThe Price of Admiralty: The Evolution of Naval WarfareKrulakFirst to Fight: An Inside View of the U.S. Marine CorpsLupferThe Dynamics of Doctrine: The Changes in German Tactical Doctrine During the First World WarMacArthurReminiscencesMcDonaldCompany CommanderMao Tse-TungMao Tse-Tung on Guerilla WarfareMcDonoughDefense of Hill 781McPhersonBattle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War EraMellenthinPanzer Battles: A Study of the Employment of Armor in the Decond World WarMeyerCompany Command: The Bottom LineMillett & MaslowskiFor the Common Defense: A Military History of the United States of AmericaMooreheadGalipoliMoranThe Anatomy of CourageMyrerOne an EagleNavmc 2890Small Wars ManualNewmanFollow Me: Human Element in LeadershipO'BallanceNo Victor, No Vanquished: Yom Kippur WarPeppersHistory of U.S. Military Logistics, 1935-1985PullerFortunate SonSearsLandscape Turned Red: The Battle of AntietamSledgeWith the Old Breed at Peleliu and OkinawaSmithDouglas Southall Freeman on LeadershipSummersOn Strategy: A Critical Analysis of the Vietnam WarTurleyThe Easter Offensive, Vietnam, 1972Van CreveldAirpower and Maneuver Warfare
    Major, Chief Warrent Officer 5BaynesMorale: A Study of Men and CourageCattonGrant Takes CommandClausewitzOn WarD'estePatton: A Genius for WarFallHell in a Very Small Place: The Siege of Dien Bien PhuFehrenbachThis Kind of War: A Study in UnpreparednessFrankGuadalcanal: The Definitive AccountFraserKnight's Cross: A Life of Field Marshall Erwin RommelGriffithForward into Battle: Fighting Tactics from Waterloo to VietnamGuevaraChe Guevara on Guerilla WarfareHammelChosin: Heroic Ordeal of the Korean WarHigginbothamGeorge Washington and the American Military TraditionLejeuneReminiscences of a MarineMerskyU.S. Marine Corps AviationParetMakers of Modern Steategy: From Maciavelli to the Nuclear AgePrangeAt Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl HarborRobertsonDieppe: The Shame and the GlorySchwarzkopfIt Doesn't Take a HeroSherrodHistory of Marine Corps Aviation in WW2ShyA People Numerous and Armed: Reflections on the Military Struggle for American IndependenceSlimDefeat into VictorySpectorEagle Against the Sun: The American War with JapanVan CrevaldCommand in warVan CrevaldSupplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton
    Master Gunnery Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Lieutenent ColonelBaerOne Hundred Years of Seapower: The U.S. Navy, 1890-1990 BennettUltra in the West: The Normandy Campaign, 1944-45BuellThe Quiet warrior: A Biography of Admiral Raymond A. SpruanceGordon & TrainorThe General's War: The Inside Story of the Conflict in the GulfJamesThe Year of MacArthurKeiserThe U.S. Marine Corps and Defense Unification, 1944-47: The Politics of SurvivalKohnEagle and Sword: The Federalists and the Creation of the Military Establishment in America, 1783-1802KrepinevichThe Army and VietnamLongPersonal Memoirs of Ulusses S. GrantMillettIn Many a Strife: General Gerald C. Thomas and the U.S. Marine CorpsMurrayThe Making of StrategyNewmanFollow Me II: More on the Human Element in LeadershipPagonisMoving Mountains: Lessons in Leadership and Logistics from the Gulf WarTraversHow the War Was WonVauxTake That Hill: Royal Marines in the Falklands WarWhiteThe Enlightened Soldier: Scharnhorst and the Militarische Gesellschaft in Berlin, 1801-1805Woodward100 Days: The Memoirs of the Falklands Battle Group Commander
    COLONELAmbroseThe Supreme Commander: The War Years of General Dwight D. EisenhowerBrennanFoundations of Moral Obligation: The Stockdale CourseChandlerThe Campaigns of NapoleonCohenMilitary Misfortunes: The Anatomy of Failure in WarCrayGeneral of the Army: George C. Marshall, Soldier and StatesmanDoughtySeeds of Disaster: The Development of French Army Doctrine, 1919-1939EcclesLogistics in the National DefenseFlickeWar Secrets in the Ether: The use of Signals Intelligence by the German Military in WW2ForesterThe GeneralFriedmanFrom Beirut to JerusalemHorneA Savage War of Peace: Algeria, 1954-1962HorneTo Lose a Battle:, France 1940KennedyThe Rise and Fall of British Naval MasteryMillett & MurrayMilitary Innovation in the Interwar PeriodMurrayLuftwaffeO'NeillA Democracy at war: America's Fight at Home and Abroad in WW2PalmerThe 25-Year War: America's Military Role in VietnamPotterNimitzRidgewayKorean WarRyanA Bridge to FarShulimsonThe Marine Corps Search for a Mission, 1880-1898SimpkinRace to the Swift: Thoughts on Twenty First Century WarfareSmythePershing, General of the ArmiesThucydidesThe Peloponnesian WarTraversThe Killing Ground: The British Army, the Western Front, and the Emergence of Modern Warfare, 1900-1918Van Tien DungOur Great Spring Victory: An Account of the Liberation of South VietnamVandergriftOnce a Marine: The Memoirs of General A.A. Vandergrift, USMCWeigleyEisenhower's Lieutenants: The Campaign of France and Germany, 1944-45
    GeneralsBartlettLejeune: A Marine's Life, 1867-1942FullerGeneralship, Its Diseases and Their Cure: A Study of the Personal Factor in CommandHalberstamThe Best and the BrightestKaganOn the Origins of War and the Preservation of PeaceKennedyRise and Fall of the Great Powers: Economic Change and Military Conflict from 1500-2000KissingerDiplomacyMacDonaldGiap: The Victor in VietnamMcNamaraIn Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of VietnamMooreA Woman at War: Storming Kuwait with the U.S. MarinesMurrayAirwar in the GulfNewmanWhat Are Generals Made of?PowellMy American JourneyRoysterMemoirs of General W.T. ShermanSchmidtMaverick Marine: General Smedley Butler and the Contradictions of American Military HistorySheehanA Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in VietnamTimbergThe Nightingale's SongTwiningNo Bended Knee
    All Marines - Military Affairs and National Security IssuesGreenwood & NeimeyerAmerica's Cutting Edge: U.S. Marine Corps Roles and Missions (Roles and Missions)SmithAngels from the Sea: Relief Operations in Bangladesh (Peace Operations)DrewNATO: From Berin to Bosnia (Peace Operations)McKenziePeacekeeper (Peace Operations)Murray1995-1996 Brassey's Mershon American Defense Annual (Revolutions in Military Affairs)Toffler & TofflerWar and Anti-War (Revolutions in Military Affairs)ScwartauInformation Warfare (Information Warfare)CampenThe First Information War (Information Warfare)LibickiWhat Is Information Warfare? (Information Warfare)Van HamManaging Non-Proliferation Regimes in the 1990s (International Nuclear Proliferation)ReinerNuclear Non-Proliferation (International Nuclear Proliferation)BraestrupBig Story (Military and the Media)FialkaHotel Warriors (Military and the Media)
    All Marines - Professional and Societal IssuesCoveySeven Habits of Highly Effective People (Professional Development) SmithTaking Charge, Making the Right Choices (Professional Development)WaltonThe Deming Management Method (Professional Development)SengeThe Fifth Discipline (Professional Development)ThomasBeyond Race and Gender (Cultural Diversity)BuchenCultural Diversity Manual (Cultural Diversity)HackerTwo Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal (Cultural Diversity)BennettBook of Virtues (Ethics)CarterIntegrity (Ethics)VariousPresidential Commission on the Assignment of Women in the Armed Forces (Women in the Military)WebbStep Forward (Women in the Military)YianilosWoman Marine (Women in the Military)ElshtainWomen and War (Women in the Military)

Age waiver for aviation

Hello,
    I am an corporal with five yrs in as a 6113/6199. I am currently an Aerospace Engineering junior at UW, and am planing on graduation in 2012. I am currently 29, and my birthday is in june. I was told by the recruiter today that they don't take back years for prior enlistment for aviation contracts to meet the eligibility age of 28. I think that's just to secluded all the prior aviation contract "enlistee's" that didn't get selected for a Meceps or another comparable program. This is because of the mandatory five year contract, It is not likely to finish a degree before 28. The army offers waivers for aviation up to 42, and the "Well go join the Army then" response has certainly been offered. Why do the Marines seclude such a prime target pool of applicants.

... First off I am currently enlisted in the Navy ... I would like to become a Marine officer but have no idea how besides OCS or ROTC. Are there any programs to go Navy enlisted to Marine officer that you know of?
    Thanks
    Something I didn't see mentioned was the possibility that you may need to pursue an interservice transfer, depending on your contract and amount of required service you have left. Get in touch with an OSO, and ask about it; you don't want to be surprised later down the road.

First off I am currently enlisted in the Navy and have found it boring and useless. I am ready to take the next step...

I would like to become a Marine officer but have no idea how besides OCS or ROTC. Are there any programs to go Navy enlisted to Marine officer that you know of? Also do you know anything about ground intel? And how are officer MOS's selected? And also how is Marine OCS?
    I served at one point with a second lieutenant who commissioned through the Navy BOOST program, so you may want to look into that. He was a complete turd and ended his "career" in the brig, but that doesn't necessarily change the efficacy of that program.

Sir,

I am prior enlisted and looking to go back in as an officer on active duty. I am 29 with a wife and three kids so the OSO told me that I simply wouldn't be competetive enough to get in and it really wouldn't be worth my time applying. Even with a 300 pft, prior service etc...etc. Is it really that competetive these days?

He informed me that going reserve and applying for the RECEP program would be a smart way to go because it is less competetive. The only down side to that is that I would be a reservist and I really would prefer to be active duty. Is there a way to switch over?

And lastly the option is there I suppose to go back enlisted and hope for the MECEP program. Maybe it has changed since I was in but it used to be very competetive.

Any help you or anyone else could give would be appreciated.

Semper Fi

1. From what I understand OCS slots are very competitive these days. First, the Marine Corps is one of the few organization recruiting and hiring. Second, we are facing likely future cuts. So, available slots are shrinking and the pool of candidates is increasing...

2. I've never heard of RECEP. But, it might be worth asking about going to the dark side in the reserves and then going "active reserve." I have no clue if its possible or how you would do it, but surely someone in the recruiting arena knows.

3. Yes, I think MECEP is still very competitive. But of course, none of us joined the Marine Corps because it was easy...

Good luck! SF

hey new to the site. i went to a Marine recruiter today because i had a question on PLC. but he wasn't sure because the school i go to (technical school) is a year round school and he thinks that schools degree system might not count..so he gave me the number of a Officer recruiter today but its a little too late to call him tonight so i will tomorrow. but i tried looking up the information online but couldn't find anything so i figured someone here could help so, if anyone here knows or can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

i am a freshmen at a tech college that doesn't have a ROTC program or anything and right now i am enlisted in a associates program (electrical/re new-able energy.. only associates degree available) but once i graduate from that my tuition is already locked in to transfer for a bachelors program(electronics engineering).i made sure i was enrolled in the bachelors program as well so after graduation i can peruse OCS . so i would assume that the school i am in now and the degree paths is ok?

but here is my question... in the summer since my school is year round.. i will have ONLY a 6 week summer break.if i choose not to take classes, but i really want to go to PLC but what are the odds that the PLC 6 weeks fall on the same 6 weeks i have off?

does anyone know when the PLC programs take place during the summer?

any help would help me SO much.

Thread Information