Marine Officer Programs - Page 16
Create Post
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waycoolrob View Post
    Can't thank you enough for the answer and for the quick reply... Kid is actually out running as we speak. He is pretty motivated and I could not be prouder.
    Again thanks
    No problem. OORAH...I wish him the best of luck. Wish I had the maturity and the calling to serve at that age. Again, definitely talk to an Officer Selection Office...unfortunately, I've heard stories of guys going to recruiters who say they are the OSO but are not. Also you may want to look into NROTC-Marine option units. That's something I didn't realize until it was too late. I'm glad I went through the process my way as I got to live a normal college life, but having the college funding certainly is a plus. And if you're extra motivated, you'll enjoy being able to go through training while in school....and those NROTC units really do prepare you well (for OCS)...from what I've seen.

and Happy Veterans Day to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Geagle05 View Post
    Yes, there are only a handful of infantry officer slots out of TBS. I do not have the exact numbers, but just know that not everyone gets to be a grunt. MOS selection at TBS is done in the later training stages and is based off your class standing. The class is divided into thirds, and basically the top of each third gets their top MOS pick which is also based off of needs of the Corps, your abilities, etc. Essentially, the only way to get your top MOS pick is to finish top of the class.

As far as what IO's do, I am not one so I cannot give you a great answer. But based off my limited experience from OCS, IMO, you've got to be the best: physically and mentally. You will carry the highest responsibility of leading your Marines and all Marine officers lead from the front. I've never met an Infantry officer that didn't look and act sharp. It is no joke. We've all heard the stories of what a bad infantry officer is...they get their Marines killed because of their poor leadership. I say this, because I hear everyone and their mothers say they want to be an infantry officer because it's "cool" or whatever have you. It's a HUGE responsibility. Again, I am not yet a commissioned officer and have only done OCS, so Marines please correct me if I'm wrong...just my .02.
    I concur. You are in the black.

V/r
    Lt A

Sounds like you are well on your way to being a great officer. If you are able to keep that mind set and remember that the troops in your command are solely your responsibility no matter what the mission you and your Marines will be ok. I have had the opportunity of seeing the very Best and the very worst that the Marine Corps has to offer. I will opt for the very Best all of the time. Thankfully when the life was on the line the OIC happened to be one of the best. My best to you in the future sir.

Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    I concur. You are in the black.

V/r
    Lt A
    Thank you, sir. I hope I can do that at rifle qual as well!

MGySgt,

Thank you. Well as they say, actions speak louder than words, so I hope to act on that mindset when I do have Marines in my command...no matter the MOS.

R/S

Today's Washington Post had a pretty accurate article on OCS. Well written and front page no less! IMO, the reporter surprisingly captured some of the feelings of candidates pretty well, so it might be some good gouge for those interested in going to OCS. Part 2 will be in tomorrow's paper or online. There's a link to a fairly decent video as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...egister&sub=AR

Anyone, How do they decide when your going through flight training which aircraft you will fly? Is it merit based or do you have some choice? Im currently enlisted as reserves and am waiting for response on the NROTC scholarship. I have gotten into the University of MN so not sure how ill end up with everything. And lets say I don't get the scholarship but still go to a school with it, does everything still work the same and I just already attended bootcamp or how does everything work that way?

what the crap are you asking?

as for you finding out if you're fixed or rotary that's after your A school or whatever the first school is. I've heard is luck of the draw there as well as vision and medical requirements. If you want to know you'll have to wait or ask your OSO AFTER you start college.

Im sorry, I dont really know what the other part was about, but thank you I kind of figured it was the luck of the draw.

FY10 MECEP selections are out, as are the board stats. It was more competitive this year as they only selected 29% vice the traditional 50%.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If there are any folks on here who are presently or have previously gone the route of PLC, I would be very interested to hear about the expectations of the student going in. As well, I would appreciate any kind of insight on what the process of initiating talks with a Officer Selection Officer to get the ball rolling is like.

I had only recently learned of this program and would love to know more but I hesitate to bother the Officer Selection Officer before I'm more familiar with the particulars of the program.

Thank you.

How about saying...are there any Marines, not are there any folks.
    And try using the search bar on PLC and OSO.

Marine Officer
    http://officer.marines.com/

United States Marine Corps Platoon Leaders Course
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marin.../marineplc.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ÓGlaisne View Post
    If there are any folks on here who are presently or have previously gone the route of PLC, I would be very interested to hear about the expectations of the student going in. As well, I would appreciate any kind of insight on what the process of initiating talks with a Officer Selection Officer to get the ball rolling is like.

I had only recently learned of this program and would love to know more but I hesitate to bother the Officer Selection Officer before I'm more familiar with the particulars of the program.

Thank you.

Hey man, www.MarineOCS, has exactly what your looking for. The majority of your questions could probably be answered on first page and/or stickied threads. Go register over there and spend an hour or two searching the PLC forums. Make sure you follow the rules, post and intro and use the search bar though.

Good luck!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    Hey man, www.MarineOCS, has exactly what your looking for. The majority of your questions could probably be answered on first page and/or stickied threads. Go register over there and spend an hour or two searching the PLC forums. Make sure you follow the rules, post and intro and use the search bar though.

Good luck!
    That is indeed exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Hello MARINES, Ive been looking around and I still need help on my questions. If you are up to it let me know, my Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddyblaster View Post
    Hello MARINES, Ive been looking around and I still need help on my questions. If you are up to it let me know, my Thanks!
    And what questions might they be? You have no prior posts of any kind in this thread.
    And if you do have questions posted elsewhere....like the poolee forum, Marines can't post there. Your questions should be asked in the Ask A Marine forum.

Thread Information