Marine Officer Programs - Page 15
Create Post
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Geagle05 View Post
    I'm not exactly positive how it works if you go into the Academy as a prior, but only a minority commission as Marine officers upon graduation from the Naval Academy. Let me ask you, does it matter if you go into the academy? Would you still want to be a Marine officer if you don't?
    Yes I would and I know all the other way, but I would perfer going though the Academy. NROTC would be second.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    No, all Naval Academy midshipmen who desire to become Marine Officers must compete for selection. This includes prior enlisted Marines.
    So if I did not make the selection I would automatically switch branches to the Navy.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxhero View Post
    So if I did not make the selection I would automatically switch branches to the Navy.
    You "switch branches" upon entry into the Academy. You receive a DD-214 (discharge from Active Duty) when you report to USNA for induction as a midshipman. You are an active-duty midshipman in the Navy while you are attending the Academy. You must compete for selection into the Marine Corps otherwise you will be automatically commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy upon graduation.

Why are you so determined to enlist prior to seeking an appointment?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well I am already enlisted and just looking around

Quote Originally Posted by xxxhero View Post
    Well I am already enlisted and just looking around
    You're not an enlisted Marine, you are in the DEP. That doesn't automatically make you a Marine. Going thru 13 weeks of boot camp to EARN the title, and then graduating makes you a Marine. There is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    I'm just popping in for a quick look around. Still not going to be active, but thanks for the note. I've missed all you rabble rousers. Still monitering the e-mail so if you need me, you know where to get me.

Semper.
    Nice to see you here again Sir.......even if it's only for a quick look around.

Semper Fi!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Oh yeah Thank you for reminding me. but i am about to go the way of enliting first

Thanks, Lieutenant. I was wondering, what does it take to become and infantry officer? I've heard that there are a certain amount of billets to become and infantry officer and I want to know how to get one of those billets. And if it's not too much trouble, sir, I want to fully understand what infantry officers do in their work. Thank you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by NSCCShipmate View Post
    Thanks, Lieutenant. I was wondering, what does it take to become and infantry officer? I've heard that there are a certain amount of billets to become and infantry officer and I want to know how to get one of those billets. And if it's not too much trouble, sir, I want to fully understand what infantry officers do in their work. Thank you, sir.
    Just curious...who are you calling Lieutenant?

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Just curious...who are you calling Lieutenant?
    The guy who started this thread.

I believe that the hard charger is simply stating that he "has enlisted". I see no reason to quarter-deck the lad. I hope that his recruiter has cleared up any reference to him and Marine. By the way Happy Birthday Maine.

Well I posted this question before but apearantly I posted it in the wrong spot. So here we go again. To Those who posted on the other section Thanks.....
    I am actually asking a question pertaining to my son. he is a high school senior going to college next year and interested in getting a commission via PLC. The recruiter he spoke with advised him he has to join the reserves first to be eligble for PLC. Is this the case? he was also told he would be non deployable while in the reserves, that his "job" is to go to college but will still be required to all drill days. So what do you think. Is this a fact or could we have possible heard him wrong. I would hate to think he was less than honest. Thanks Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Waycoolrob View Post
    Well I posted this question before but apearantly I posted it in the wrong spot. So here we go again. To Those who posted on the other section Thanks.....
    I am actually asking a question pertaining to my son. he is a high school senior going to college next year and interested in getting a commission via PLC. The recruiter he spoke with advised him he has to join the reserves first to be eligble for PLC. Is this the case? he was also told he would be non deployable while in the reserves, that his "job" is to go to college but will still be required to all drill days. So what do you think. Is this a fact or could we have possible heard him wrong. I would hate to think he was less than honest. Thanks Rob
    No, this is not correct. You do not need to be in the reserves to be qualified for PLC. Upon going to college, your son would do PLC-Jrs in the summer afterwards, go back to school, then do PLC-Srs in the subsequent summer. Each Jrs/Srs program is 6 weeks. If he successfully completes the program, he will go back to school to get his degree and then receive his commission shortly after graduation (the position I am in now except I did the 10 week PLC combined program for college juniors).

I would recommend contacting an Officer Selection Officer who deal with officer candidates directly. It's not that enlisted recruiters are telling you wrong, it's just that they might not know. Your OSO will have all the information regarding the officer programs.

Can't thank you enough for the answer and for the quick reply... Kid is actually out running as we speak. He is pretty motivated and I could not be prouder.
    Again thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSCCShipmate View Post
    Yes, there are only a handful of infantry officer slots out of TBS. I do not have the exact numbers, but just know that not everyone gets to be a grunt. MOS selection at TBS is done in the later training stages and is based off your class standing. The class is divided into thirds, and basically the top of each third gets their top MOS pick which is also based off of needs of the Corps, your abilities, etc. Essentially, the only way to get your top MOS pick is to finish top of the class.

As far as what IO's do, I am not one so I cannot give you a great answer. But based off my limited experience from OCS, IMO, you've got to be the best: physically and mentally. You will carry the highest responsibility of leading your Marines and all Marine officers lead from the front. I've never met an Infantry officer that didn't look and act sharp. It is no joke. We've all heard the stories of what a bad infantry officer is...they get their Marines killed because of their poor leadership. I say this, because I hear everyone and their mothers say they want to be an infantry officer because it's "cool" or whatever have you. It's a HUGE responsibility. Again, I am not yet a commissioned officer and have only done OCS, so Marines please correct me if I'm wrong...just my .02.

Thread Information