Marine Officer Programs - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    My apologies for the typos. I hope that was understandable. I was trying to do several things at once and now I can't edit it.

Each year the Secretary of the Navy may nominate for admission to the Naval Academy 85 active-duty Navy and Marine Corps enlisted personnel and 85 Navy and Marine Corps Reserve personnel either on active duty or assigned to a drill unit.
    Qualified candidates are appointed to the Academy as midshipmen and receive monthly pay of approximately $500, plus tuition, room and board.
    Naval Academy applicants must be:
    • a U.S. citizen. at least 17 years old and not yet 23 years old on July 1 of the year of admission. unmarried, not pregnant and have no legal obligation to support a child or other individual.
      of good moral character.
      scholastically, medically, and physically fit.
    Active-duty personnel must have an active-duty pay entry base date (PEBD) one year prior to July 1 of the admission year. Reservists on active duty or assigned to a unit must have a PEBD one year prior to July 1 of the admission year.

Thank you for your time Captain.

I guess that means I'm SOL then. (if that reply was meant in response to my post) However, are those same qualifications in application the same to the other officer programs, such as PLC or OCC?

My last post was for someone else. To do PLC or OCS you need a BS or BA (4 year college degree). If you are healed up and can do the PT, you'll likely pass the physical. OCS is very differnt than boot camp. You don't stand on the yellow prints, they don't really yell so much, send you to the pit or quarterdeck, etc. If you mess up, you'll be writing essays instead of sleeping. I did both Parris Island and OCS in 1995 and would rather do PI again.

Fantastic, perhaps I should contact my local OSO.

Sorry for the confusion there, but your information was helpful anyway. Looks like the Naval Academy is right out for me. I'm way off on the age, and I'm married. Plus, I don't really fancy starting back and square one in academia when I'm over halfway to my goal already (which I'm sure they would have you do).

Thanks again, Captain.

Just a little update for anyone that might possibly be in a relative situation to my own. I spent hours on the internet last night looking at different OSO's web pages as well as the Marine's new officer page (they just recently updated it) and from what I've seen you still have to go through the whole MEPS deal. It seems no matter what branch you join (Army, Navy, Marine Corp, Air Force, and Coast Guard in officer, warrant officer, and enlisted) you have to go through the same MEPS ordeal. I haven't had confirmation on whether they examine you the same way or not but I can't imagine they have a special officers examination and an enlisted one. From being there twice already they seemed to just push us all through the same way through the same stations with the same examinations.

Even though I'm healed up and can PT with the best of them still the fact of having surgical implants in the form of screws and other various stainless steel parts diqalifies me. And when I would go in to do the "underwear olympics" being stripped down to skivvies the docs would notice the scars all over my body. I would be red flagged in no time. I have three main surgical scars, a big one down the top of my forarm, down the side of my leg and on my knee. Some on my face from more motorcycle injuries where I put my lower row of teeth out through my face, more scars on my left arm from a dog attack. Those things wouldn't be disqualifying but I would be grilled about them. I would definately be noticed, Im saying.

I take it from the lack of response by local OSO that the feeling must be shared, I can't say I blame them. Rules are in place for a reason. I tried to go back and get in so in so many times over the past decade they probably wrote my name down on a piece of paper and left it in the desk draw for each new officer saying "Do not let this person in the front door, ignore all phone calls and e-mails"

Oh well, I'm still not going to give up. I want to talk to a doctor about this if possible, a medical expert serving in the military or federal government and see what they see if there is some sort of special examination I can get proving my abilites, waviers, etc.

Thanks anyway Captain Hill (Blutic)

This is directed at any officer who went to AAV school:

I've been looking for a while on the internet, and since my OSO won't respond to me quickly enough I was curious if anyone here had any information they could share about AAV Officer's Course. Through some digging I found the training battalion's website, which isn't up to date and isn't completely filled out. I figured out it's roughly 3 months long, but that's about it.

So if anyone could assist me in gathering some information about the training schedule and the stuff other various information I'd appreciate it.

Good afternoon Sir. Congratulations and I wish you the best in your Marine career. I look forward to reading about the advances you experience in your training. Good luck, and Semper Fi Sir.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hello,
    New member with a question if you've got the time.

I'm currently doing my Junior year of college studies in Japan so I don't have such ready access to recruiters, so this is probably a fairly simple question. I am planning on joining the Marines after graduating from 4 years of college[good grades, B's or higher] but I am slightly confused from all the various readings I have come across on the internet regarding OCS and MOS options.

I want to serve in MOS 0300 level, Infantry, but I have heard that the officer path pretty much takes away your ability to chose an MOS for yourself. I've also heard that NO Marine is guaranteed their MOS, so my question is, specific to the Officer path, is the ability to chose MOS less open than regular enlisted?

If becoming an officer will limit/remove my chances of serving in the infantry then perhaps going the enlisted route[and receiving the Pvt1st class rank for having gone to College] is the better option?

Thanks for your time, and thanks for making this thread. I had a long post written up for "Ask a Marine" complete with more of my background, but then found this upon searching. I'd be happy to include any more information I can to you, but as I said, my availability to recruiters for the next month[until July 20th] is next to zero, until I return from Japan.

Credits
    Savings
    *edit*

I'm sorry, I need to clarify a bit. I am a legal US resident and attending school in the United States, but I am ONLY doing my Junior year in Japan.

I reread that and worried some might think I was a Japanese student... this is not the case. I will graduate from a 4-year United States college.

Thank you,
    Thomas Wilson

I was prior enlisted. I would not say being an officer is better than being enlisted, just different with certain advantages and disadvantages. Marine Officers consider their jobs to be leaders of Marines. Not Infantry Officer, Supply Officer, etc. You need to have the attitude that you want to lead Marines regardless of what MOS you get. However, you do have choices and may get your top pick. It's a lot harder to be an officer and you def have more responsiblity and input. If you qualify and think you can handle it, I'd recommend going to OCS.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutic View Post
    I was prior enlisted. I would not say being an officer is better than being enlisted, just different with certain advantages and disadvantages. Marine Officers consider their jobs to be leaders of Marines. Not Infantry Officer, Supply Officer, etc. You need to have the attitude that you want to lead Marines regardless of what MOS you get. However, you do have choices and may get your top pick. It's a lot harder to be an officer and you def have more responsiblity and input. If you qualify and think you can handle it, I'd recommend going to OCS.
    Thank you for the fast and helpful response. I agree that I really need to think it out and talk with a recruiter before following through.

Am I correct in my understanding that upon graduating from a 4-year college, but having taken no OCC/PLC type programs, that my best option is to do the Enlisted Commissioning Program [ECP]? Which means that I should mention to my recruiter that I wish to be considered for OCS and then simply go enlisted[but with the desire for OCS written in my...contract?]

Simple questions, I'm sure, but I trust this forum far more than the conflicting information that pervades the internet.

And not to give the air that I expect failure in any way[I have the courage, the drive, and the dedication to accomplish what I set out to do] but what happens if you do not pass OCS? Do you simply get put back into your enlisted area/MOS?

Thank you, again
    Thomas Wilson

If you are too far along in college to do the PLC program, all you have to do is contact an Officer Selection Officer and submit a package for OCS. Candidates don't fail out of OCS. They either quit or get hurt bad enough to be dropped. If you get hurt, you can always go back and try again. If you get dropped or quit, you can always enlist. In my class, a couple candidates went all the way through and did not accept the commision and went home.

Commissioning programs: Marine Corps

The Marine Corps’ regular enlisted to officer commissioning programs:
    Enlisted Commissioning Program

Leathernecks ages 21-30 on active duty or in the Active Reserve “who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential” may qualify for a commission through the Enlisted Commissioning Program, according to Marine Corps Recruiting Command. Candidates must meet eligibility requirements listed in Marine Corps Order 1040.43A; requirements include having a bachelor’s degree and being a U.S. citizen “of officer caliber.”
    Selected Marines will receive assignment to Officer Candidates School and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve.
    Meritorious Commissioning Program

Leathernecks ages 21-30 with at least 75 semester hours of college coursework and an acceptance letter from a college with a Naval Reserve Officer’s Training Corps program may be eligible for the Meritorious Commissioning Program. Enlisted Marines considered for the program must be able to complete their bachelor’s degree within 18 months. Marine Corps Order 1040.43A and Marine Administrative message 278/02 list eligibility requirements and the application process.
    Selected Marines will receive assignment to Officer Candidates School and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve.
    Reserve Enlisted Commissioning Program

Leathernecks ages 21-33 with a bachelor’s degree serving in the Selected Marine Corps Reserve may apply for the Reserve Enlisted Commissioning Program. Marine Corps Order 1040R.10L includes eligibility requirements and the application process.
    Selected Marines will receive assignment to Officer Candidates School and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the Marine Corps Reserve.
    Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program

The Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program is “designed to provide outstanding enlisted Marines the opportunity to become Marine Corps officers,” according to Marine Corps Recruiting Command. Leathernecks ages 20-26 serving on active duty or in the Active Reserve may apply for the program. Eligibility criteria and information on the application process for the program is listed in Marine Corps Order 1560.15L.
    Upon completion, Marines in the program will receive a bachelor’s degree and a commission as a second lieutenant in the Reserve.
    Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training

Enlisted Marines ages 19-25 on active duty and in the Active Reserve may qualify for the Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training program, a 10-month academic improvement course that includes remedial high school and college prep instruction. BOOST is designed to provide “education enhancement” for enlisted Marines seeking a college education and a commissioning program — including the Naval Academy, MECEP and the Marine-option NROTC scholarship program. Eligibility is listed in Marine Corps Order 1560.24D.
    Warrant Officer (regular, Reserve, gunner and recruiter)

Marines ranked sergeant or above and considered technical experts in their military occupational specialty may qualify for the Warrant Officer Program. Candidates with at least eight years of active naval service and no criminal offenses must be recommended by their commanding officer for appointment to warrant officer on active duty or in the Active Reserve. The program requires additional service and rank minimums for Marine gunner and career recruiter. Marine Corps Order 1040.42A includes eligibility requirements and application procedures.
    Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps

The Marine Option Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps’ four-year scholarship program educates and trains candidates for careers as commissioned officers.
    Each Marine Corps Recruiting District screens and selects applicants for the program. Selected candidates receive full tuition, books, fees and a monthly stipend at a college or university that hosts the program.
    Upon graduation and successful completion of required training, a midshipman is appointed a second lieutenant.
    Enlisted Marines compete with civilians for selection for the program. While attending a university as a scholarship student, active-duty Marines selected as scholarship recipients are released to the Individual Ready Reserve and do not receive pay and allowances.
    https://www.mcrc.usmc.mil/• Naval Academy/Naval Academy Prep School
    Active-duty and Active Reserve leathernecks may apply for nomination and appointment to the Naval Academy. Candidates must be single and 17-23 years old. Naval Academy Preparatory School accepts Naval Academy applicants who “could profit from an additional year of academic preparation,” according to the USNA Admissions Board. Marine Corps Order 1530.11G includes eligibility requirements.

Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate the info, thank you for taking the time to look that up for me. Now when I get back to the States in a month, I can go to my recruiter and understand my options a bit more before we start talking.

Cheers

Thread Information