Marine Officer Programs - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Sirs, I was perusing some of the action pics on www.ocs.usmc.mil and was struck by how difficult some of the obstacles looked on the O Course and Confidence Course. Are candidates given technical instruction on how to negotiate the obstacles, or are they more or less left to figure it out on their own? Some of them looked dang hard!

Also, what one or two obstacles seem to give guys the most trouble? Or does it vary from candidate to candidate? Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these questions - this has been a very helpful thread!

I have a question for the best suited:
    I am in my final semester of graduate school (criminal justice) and decided that it was time to apply for OCS. I made contact with my local OSS and began the process.

However, when I processed through MEPS I was disqualified from Officer Programs because I admitted to regular (125 times) marijuana usage while in high school (over 8 years ago). I have not ever used any other drugs other than marijuana.

My question is: does anyone know of a similar situation being waived? My recruiter is adamant that a waiver is not possible because it is over the allowed 10-time usage waiverable limit. He recommends that I enlist and attempt to come through MECEP.

Who should I appeal to?

My info: Masters in CJ cumulative GPA 3.33-ASVAB Comp 85-I have over 2 years local law enforcement experience as well.

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcguiregc View Post
    Sirs, I was perusing some of the action pics on www.ocs.usmc.mil and was struck by how difficult some of the obstacles looked on the O Course and Confidence Course. Are candidates given technical instruction on how to negotiate the obstacles, or are they more or less left to figure it out on their own? Some of them looked dang hard!

Also, what one or two obstacles seem to give guys the most trouble? Or does it vary from candidate to candidate? Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these questions - this has been a very helpful thread!
    The obstacles are a lot easier than you think. For the O course you'll get instruction on how to cross it before you do it the first time. Since I haven't gone to OCS yet I'm not exactly positive how they instruct on the Confidence Course obstacles; however, if they are similar to the ones at enlisted boot camp, don't sweat them, it will be easy.

OkieGrad: Fill out your profile and you'll get some answers.

Quote Originally Posted by DIBLO7 View Post
    Completed

The obstacles are a lot easier than you think. For the O course you'll get instruction on how to cross it before you do it the first time. Since I haven't gone to OCS yet I'm not exactly positive how they instruct on the Confidence Course obstacles; however, if they are similar to the ones at enlisted boot camp, don't sweat them, it will be easy.

They give you instruction and a demonstration. If I recall correctly you run through it several times (the first at a walking pace) before being tested. So far I have encountered little in the Marine Corps that wasn't 'broken down Barney style."

Quote Originally Posted by OkieGrad View Post
    I have a question for the best suited:
    I am in my final semester of graduate school (criminal justice) and decided that it was time to apply for OCS. I made contact with my local OSS and began the process.

However, when I processed through MEPS I was disqualified from Officer Programs because I admitted to regular (125 times) marijuana usage while in high school (over 8 years ago). I have not ever used any other drugs other than marijuana.

My question is: does anyone know of a similar situation being waived? My recruiter is adamant that a waiver is not possible because it is over the allowed 10-time usage waiverable limit. He recommends that I enlist and attempt to come through MECEP.

Who should I appeal to?

My info: Masters in CJ cumulative GPA 3.33-ASVAB Comp 85-I have over 2 years local law enforcement experience as well.

Thank you for your time.
    First, I can't speak to the Officer programs regarding a drug use waiver. I know that on the enlisted side you could get the wavier to join, my recruiter buddy isn't sure about the Officers though.

If you do choose to go enlisted first and put in an Officer package the program that you'll want will not be MECEP. MECEP is for Marines who don't already have a degree. The program you'd want is called ECP or Enlisted Commissioning Program.

First, I can't speak to the Officer programs regarding a drug use waiver. I know that on the enlisted side you could get the wavier to join, my recruiter buddy isn't sure about the Officers though.

If you do choose to go enlisted first and put in an Officer package the program that you'll want will not be MECEP. MECEP is for Marines who don't already have a degree. The program you'd want is called ECP or Enlisted Commissioning Program.
    Thank you Sergeant.

Would your friend have a recommendation on where I can begin appealing my DQ from OCS? The MEPS doc (who DQ'd me) wrote on my paperwork that he recommends a waiver but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

The reason I am posting questions on here is because it seems that my OSS recruiter gave up and referred me on to a different enlisted recruiter. I do not feel that I have exhausted all my options for being able to prove that I am worthy of the opportunity to earn a commission in the Marine Corps.

Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

Good afternoon Sirs,

I have my A.A. (need upper division courses to receive my B.S.), scored a 76 on ASVAB and signed up for MOS 06XX. I live in Los Angeles. Going in as a PFC. Just wanted to know (if I put my mind to it), how great are my chances to be selected for the MECEP program?

I know it also depends on "The Boss".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdfairman View Post
    You might be able to fly. Like I say, look into the PRK. Even if you have to pay for it yourself, if you really yearn to fly its probably worth it.

So wait sir, if even if I have horrible vision, if it can be corrected, I still have a chance? Also, is it easier to get commissioned as an Officer starting off as enlisted, reservist, or civilian student?

Thank you for you time.

MECEP Package

Hi, I am currently a LCpl, and am really considering putting in a MECEP package. I know last year one lance got accepted, so I am very optimistic. I was wondering if any experienced MECEPers could give me any pointers to putting in a worthy package. I feel like my weekest point is my time in service. Today is actually my one year anniversary. Mustangs please help. Thank you for your time, concern, and duty to your country Marines.

So I leave for boot in less than a month,I do have a BA and half of my MA,the reason I didnt apply for OCS is because i have a tattoo on my forearm which automatically DQ'd me for the program...So my question is after im enlisted,would a waiver be more likely for my tattoos?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What do you think of my plan?

Hello Sir, my name is Joseph Corn and I'm leaving for Boot in a couple of months 18 years old. Im and Eagle Scout, got around 15 hrs college credit great physical condition. I recently posted this as a thread on ask a Marine but after looking at your thread I think you are the perfect person to ask. I would like to hear your opinion on my plan to eventually get into flight training. First, my MOS that I signed for was AJ (UAV Operator) for 5 years active 3 reserve (because of the training length). I plan on finishing a bachelors degree in this time period. Is this out of the question? I am very determined and focused so if it is up to me I will do it. however, I still worry that I will not have enough time to complete college in my first enlistment? Then afterwords I want to apply For OCC or OCS. I heard OCC is a guaranteed flight school rout. I like the idea of earning everything my self but getting a guarantee would be nice. Will I be able to get into OCC or is it only available to civilians? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you!

Gentlemen,

This is my first post here. Many wonderful, informative posts on this thread. Thanks to all who have given information.

I am a Lance Corporal stationed in Camp Pendleton. I am a good performer, I scored a 98 on my AFQT, a 133 on my GT, and I have a 290 PFT score. I have 15 college credits. Is it possible for me to go to the naval academy? My enlisted contract doesn't expire until 20130608, and I just turned 22 two weeks ago. I've done much research into MECEP and have my sights set firmly on becoming a Marine Corps Aviator, but before I press onwards I'd like to know if it's even feasible for me to attend the naval academy in Annapolis.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Respectfully,
    -LCpl L

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by mpellie View Post
    So I leave for boot in less than a month,I do have a BA and half of my MA,the reason I didnt apply for OCS is because i have a tattoo on my forearm which automatically DQ'd me for the program...So my question is after im enlisted,would a waiver be more likely for my tattoos?
    Not likely!

You got a bit of work to do however -
    Occupation Gym rat Interests Running,wieght lifting, reading

I have some questions myself. I think I know the answers to these but it doesn't hurt to ask.

My little background story real quick. I wanted to be a Marine very badly, so I joined up. Went right through MEPS without so much as a hiccup. Memorized the entire handbook they gave you with all Marine Corps history, Hymm, ranks, general orders, etc. Had it down, no problems. Pull ups were 27, crunches were around 85 in two minutes and my 1.5 mile run was 9:40. I don't remember what my ASVAB was at the time becuase I took it like 12 years ago...but it was good enough to get an intelligence MOS. I know thats on the upper end of the scale. I just took the ************* test ASVAB and scored a 125 on my QT, I know I could of gotten more questions right, but there were a few questions that had very close answers. Like they had two right answers, but you had to pick the one that were most right. Anyway, I was cocked, locked, and ready to get some. I joined the DEP in November of 1998, and on June 12th, 1999, exactly 1 month before I was to ship out I got into a motorcycle accident. Needless to say I was relived of my obligation because I had alot of screws in my bones, and that made me PDQ.

OK, now we're in the present, that makes me have 2 questions. One serious and one just to satisfy curiousity.

1. When going to be an officer, do you have to still go through MEPS the same way? If so then I'm still SOL. In some way shape or form, even though I'm PDQ I've never fully given up on getting back in somehow. Probably will never happen, but I know I never will if I quit trying.

2. What is OCS like, .. as in... how do I say this... Even those of us that have never been to enlisted boot camp can get a vauge picture of what its like through stories from those that have been there and from all the media coverage. Well,...is OCS like that, only for officers? I know its more demanding because your going to be a leader of Marines, but do they still cart you in on a bus in the middle of the night and make you stand on yellow footprints? Do you still get that same "shock treatment"?

As far as my current status is concerned, I have also accumulated...68 credits I believe in college. I currently have an associates degree. I haven't upgraded to the 4 year degree because of how much college is nowadays. Its unreal, and it goes up every semester. And number 2, because I didn't have a direct need to justify the costs of borrowing all of that money for a job I was going to get. I would like to finish to the 4 year degree and being an officer would most certinly be justification in that.

Anyways, sorry for the long post.

Former Polee,
    Jason

Thread Information