Marine Officer Programs - Page 23
Create Post
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
    I would like to just post this because I realize how hard it is to find this information.
    This was posted on my RSS's facebook page

"MECEP (Enlisted Commissioning Program) facts: This year, 133 applications were submitted, 107 Marines were eligible, and 67 Marines were selected for this program."

Quote Originally Posted by richtimsmarttim View Post
    "Hello everyone. I would like to know more about the Enlisted To Officer Program. Is there any Enlisted Marine or Marine Officer that can help me understand it more through a private message?"

Hello Marines! I'd also like to find out any info on the Enlisted To Officer Program. I have limited understanding of the MCP and MECEP programs. I would really love to hear the experience of someone who has been through it before. Thanks!
    All the information you need can be found here. http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...201560.15L.pdf

Mecep

Thanks that helps alot!

Last edited by richtimsmarttim; 05-01-11 at 01:29 PM. Reason: N/A

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hello everybody, I am currently a LCPL hoping to pick up CPL soon. It is a goal of mine to pick up NCO and have a deployment under my belt before I go to OCS, which means I probably will not go until 2012. I earned my bachelors before I enlisted. Reason is, I wanted the best of both worlds, Enlisted and Officer.

It is difficult to obtain info and documents on ECP. The GYSGT in my shop found an application for ECP, but it is from 2002. Doesn't really help much. The OSO DO NOT deal with prior enlisted.

Would appreciate any help. Also, any Marines on this site graduate from Widener University. Hit me up.

Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post
    Hello everybody, I am currently a LCPL hoping to pick up CPL soon. It is a goal of mine to pick up NCO and have a deployment under my belt before I go to OCS, which means I probably will not go until 2012. I earned my bachelors before I enlisted. Reason is, I wanted the best of both worlds, Enlisted and Officer.

It is difficult to obtain info and documents on ECP. The GYSGT in my shop found an application for ECP, but it is from 2002. Doesn't really help much. The OSO DO NOT deal with prior enlisted.

Would appreciate any help. Also, any Marines on this site graduate from Widener University. Hit me up.

Sorry wrong post!!!

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    LCPL this might be of some interest to you

Hello Marine. ECP is a great program. You will be mingled with officer candidates who come from the civilian side - some who were prior enlisted and some with no military experience at all. During my OCS days, 1/2 of my platoon were prior enlisted, most Marines, some Army, some Navy, and some Air Force. The prior enlisted Marines had no problem with OCS. The Air Force guys DOR'd (Dropped on Request). All the Army guys survived as did the one Navy guy. Many of the Army guys were flying Warrant Officers and were caught up in the Vietnam Army Reduction in Force (RIF) .

I'm a mustang. Went from Private to Sergeant with a tour in Vietnam, received my BS in Aero engineering on GI Bill, retired as a Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel after total of 27 years service.

The difference in training between an enlisted Marine and an officer is significant - as you will be able to relate. An enlisted Marine is trained to follow orders without question. When an enlisted Marine goes to bootcamp, they are immediately regimented toward the instant following of orders as soon as they get off the bus and hit the yellow foot prints on the pavement. The academic material that they received to include weapons handling are the same as that given to officer candidates. The close order drill is integral to getting the platoon to respond as one, not 70 individuals. Is it hard, yes. It is more mentally challenging since many people have a problem converting from being an individual to thinking and reacting as a well trained green machine. Physically, if one considers the "extra" PT time they get, it is probably harder. Recruits cannot "quit" bootcamp. Those who have problems in the transition from civilian to Marine are recycled or discharged.

OCS is for a different purpose. It is a leadership screening process that leads to a commission as a Marine Corps Officer. In OCS each officer candidate is evaluated and assessed on their ability to give orders and follow orders. They are also assessed on their ability to think and perform complex military tasks under extreme stress that includes problem solving courses after long distance forced marches, combat tactics, and land navigation. The PT is the same as enlisted bootcamp (including the O Course and Confidence Course) as is the academic training. Ditto for women Marines. The part that is toughest is that each candidate must accept responsibility for their platoon and demonstrate their ability to lead. After the 3rd week, the weeding out process begins where peer (fellow candidates) and platoon staff evaluation of a candidate's leadership ability begins. These evaluations result in the lowest two scored candidates being invited to pack their bags for a trip home (during Vietnam, home was a trip to Marine Corps bootcamp for a four year hitch). Additionally, a couple of candidates from each Platoon are also sent home due to inability to meet the Physical Training standards associated to the O course and long distance forced marches (recruits marches are much, much shorter). Some candidates quickly discover that they can't handle the constant stress/leadership expectation and Request to Drop Out (called DOR - drop on request). An officer is taught to give orders with clarity and expectation that those orders are carried out with efficiency and thoroughness (called attention to detail). During OCS, each candidate is assigned a platoon or company level billet for 2 to 3 days (e.g. Company or Platoon Commander, Company 1st Sgt, Platoon Sgt, etc). They must perform flawlessly without alienating their fellow candidates. This applies to ECPs as well. If you are unable to meet the leadership requirements, you will be given orders and returned to your MOS. The positive side is, it is rare that an ECP fails. You were selected as the best from the enlisted ranks. There were a lot of officers involved in the screening process. So long as you keep your focus and do what you know, from experience, is right, you will be commissioned a Marine Corps Officer after 10 weeks. TBS is different than MCT. You will be a 2ndLt, BUT you will feel like you are treated more as a LCPL because you will be taught things that you never experienced as an enlisted Marine by NCOs and company grade officers. You will be assigned company command billets and graded on how well you performed your assigned duties and tasks. Can you "flunk out of TBS" - YES! Always keep an open mind, study the material that you are expected to obsorb, display your best leadership, stay physically fit, and you will do fine.

Believe it or not, your toughest challenge is going through the wickets to be accepted to the ECP program. After I made Major, I was often involved in the interview process for the annual ECP candidate review. KNOW your military subjects. KNOW the drill movements - it is harder to be able to describe a drill movement without actually doing it. DO IT in your sleep! The ECP board has you in their midst for about 15 minutes. There is no demonstration period. We want to know how you think under some mild pressure (the interview process can feel really tough). Relax and think about your answer before you respond - the board is looking for concentrated thought.

Semper Fi,

Lieutenant Colonel, US Marine Corp

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sir, I must say that was an exceptional response to my question. You have provided me more info in those few paragraphs than I have received in the last few years. Marines like you give me the drive and motivation to conquer the Enlisted side before becoming a great leader on the Officer side of the Marine Corps. I will be happy to keep you updated on my long term goal of earning the Mustang title. Once I pick up Corporal and deploy, I will send my package to the board.

Thank you

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post
    Sir, I must say that was an exceptional response to my question. You have provided me more info in those few paragraphs than I have received in the last few years. Marines like you give me the drive and motivation to conquer the Enlisted side before becoming a great leader on the Officer side of the Marine Corps. I will be happy to keep you updated on my long term goal of earning the Mustang title. Once I pick up Corporal and deploy, I will send my package to the board.

Thank you
    Glad I was able to help out. If I find any more info I will post it. My uncle was a Mustang, WW2 on the Canal and Tarawa. Good luck to you but are you closing in on the ceiling for age in the ECP?? Not sure but I thought I read it was 26, could be wrong

Credits
    Savings
    A little more info

The basic eligibility requirements for the program are as follows:
    Marines with a 4 Year Baccalaureate Degree
    U.S. Citizen
    Be of Officer Caliber
    Be of Good Moral Character & Integrity
    Not previously failed any Officer Programs
    Min. AFQT of 74 or
    Min. SAT of 1000 or
    Min. ACT of 45
    At least 21 years of age but less than 30

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Sir, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfairman View Post
    Hello All.
    My name is Lieutenant Fairman, and I invite any of you who are interested in becoming a Marine Officer to post your question. I will do my best to answer it myself, and should I not have the knowledge, I will do my best to find out and get back with you.
    I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves in '98 and worked as an FDC man for HQ Btry, 14th Marines throughout college. I was commissioned a second lieutenant through the PLC program on 01AUG02. I am currently in flight training pursuing those coveted wings of gold. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here, just wanted to give an idea of my background. SO... any questions concerning officer programs, fire away.
    I read on usmilitary.about.com, that WO's and LDO's in the USMC can fly the AH-1W and UH-1Y under the MOS 7513. Is this true?

Thanks,
    Potential Poolee

Credits
    Savings
    I've never heard of it. BTW, this thread is 8 years old and Lt Fairman hasn't been on here since 2006

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 06-01-11 at 08:53 PM. Reason: No profile, no questions.

Im hoping that this could possibly be the right place to ask this question.. Which route would be a better route Officer or Warrant Officer?

From my understanding and from what ive been told it seems like Warrant Officers are technical gods in their respective MOS' I understand that a Commissioned officer is higher than a Warrant officer but are they i guess more so skilled than the Commissioned officers?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Im hoping that this could possibly be the right place to ask this question.. Which route would be a better route Officer or Warrant Officer?

From my understanding and from what ive been told it seems like Warrant Officers are technical gods in their respective MOS' I understand that a Commissioned officer is higher than a Warrant officer but are they i guess more so skilled than the Commissioned officers?
    Munky it would take you years to attain WO status. Go the OCS route if you can. Much quicker, more pay and more responsibility

Marine Friend Free Member JeffHoss's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    double post. please disregard

Thread Information