Chevrons for Promotion
Create Post

Question Chevrons for Promotion

I'm trying to find the order that states how much time a Marine has to update his uniforms after being promoted. I have a feeling my Gunney is going to try to make me turn them in before my promotion. I've already talked to ground supply and they said they'll give you chevrons (if the have them) and a certificate to get them sewn on free (once you have the warrant). I'm not going to spend any money I don't have to.

Sorry I had to post here. It wouldn't let me post in the uniform section.

I don't know how to change it from poolee. You would think it would know since my entry date was in 2008 LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by scoreseasy View Post
    I don't know how to change it from poolee. You would think it would know since my entry date was in 2008 LOL.
    PM Sgt Leprechaun and let him know you need your status changed to Marine.

I don't know the order, but I think it's 90 days after promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    PM Sgt Leprechaun and let him know you need your status changed to Marine.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    and thanks again! I've always heard 30 days but haven't found an order. I'll probably take them in the same day I get promoted. I just think it's stupid to pay for everything when you don't have to.

Couldn't find it for the life of me and ran out of time before work, but it should be here on this site somewhere:

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/

Thanks!

and thanks again! I've always heard 30 days but haven't found an order. I'll probably take them in the same day I get promoted. I just think it's stupid to pay for everything when you don't have to.
    The Corps may do a lot of things that Marines think is stupid, but we usually get the task that is assigned completed on time and within budget.

Every Marine receives a CLOTHING ALLOWANCE in their pay. This allowance is supposed to be used for upkeep of all uniforms. Not for Liberty call.

I just think it's stupid to pay for everything when you don't have to.
    I heard that

MCO 10120.28G, the ICR, states that uniform accessories (this includes rank insignia) will be issued however, alteration to put on the insignia is at the cost of the individual unless there is some sort of special circumstance (you don't apply in this case). This issue is for the first promotion to that given grade.

Something to note along with this, is that when you get an issue from supply, they don't have to give you new items and it is specified that used but still serviceable items should be the first line of issue. So hopefully you get something good.

As for time limits and when to sew on rank, I couldn't find that but it's probably located somewhere in the uniforms' technical manual, TM-10120-15/1 (can't access it from home and can't find via search engine). If you are for sure getting promoted, get your rank sewn on. It's as simple as that. Turn it in so that it is done around the day you get promoted.

If you are about to pin on sergeant (I assume), also take some initiative to figure out how to find this stuff on your own that way you can help one of your junior Marines when they have a real issue. Google is an easy way to find things.

The best place to get information like this is usually your First Sergeant or Sergeant Major.

Quote Originally Posted by haebyungdae View Post
    MCO 10120.28G, the ICR, states that uniform accessories (this includes rank insignia) will be issued however, alteration to put on the insignia is at the cost of the individual unless there is some sort of special circumstance (you don't apply in this case). This issue is for the first promotion to that given grade.
    Wait what? I've never been issued chevrons. In fact, I just bought some yesterday for a new bravo shirt. I'm going to go to supply and find out what they're doing with them all!

Question Life Before Google...

Life before Google.....The First Sergeant... No PC, No Laptop but had the answer to almost anything.

Today it's nice that we can get on here and help by texting but I think to many Marines forget. The First Sergeant or maybe you have a Master Sergeant what ever other name you may have for this person in your life. Is a great source of information. I have had more than one First Sergeant pull my sorry butt out of the fire.

With this thought in mind. Here's to you Msgt McDaniels Thanks, for being there.

SemperFi,
    LonewolfUSMC

Last edited by LonewolfUSMC; 08-28-11 at 09:49 AM. Reason: brain fart, I forgot to close the text

When I was promoted to SSgt, the prior Wednesday we had a wall locker inspection! All my uniforms were hanging in the locker, got promoted thursday, had to wear Charlies on friday! Borrowed a Charlie shirt from another SSgt, Gunny found out was ****ed that I did not have a shirt ready! Tried to explain about the inspection, that went over like a ton of bricks! Learned a valuable lesson, always have (1) maybe (2) Charlie and bravo shirts and at least (1) extra Blouse, to put in the cleaners to have the next rank sewed on, that way you can be ready! I knew that I had been selected When I went to the Oki! However did not take extra shirts with me to the rock!

Maurice

p.s. It also a good idea to have at least one of each with the rank below your current one! Never know what might happen!

Thread Information