Marine Officer Programs - Page 13
Create Post
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Scratch that. Not going to apply to law school anymore. I'm currently talking to my local OSO and applying to OCS ground.

Marine Friend Free Member reload0024's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hello Sir.

I have been talking to my OSO via e-mail for the past couple weeks.
    I did the pre screen before meeting with him, and I did have a red flag in the medical history that would require a waiver.

Since then he hasn't been too responsive. He last left me with I do not want to waste your time, so I will get back to you when I find out more information.

He hasn't said I do not qualify sorry, so I am guessing he sent this information to MEPS doctors?

I have been e-mailing him with more accurate and specific information including the actual medical records but haven't received a response.

I am guessing that either MEPS said no, or he is still waiting.

My question to you is do you think it would be rude for me to go down to the OSS in person? Or should I wait until he responds back. He said to fill out the pre form before coming down, and hasn't asked me to come down at all so I don't want to be a bother to him.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Respectfully,
    Nate

He's probably waiting on someone somewhere to get back to him about the issue. It wouldn't hurt to go in, in person, or to call once a week or so. You really don't have anything to lose by doing that. The medical requirements for officer seem to be more strict. I was subjected to more testing when I put my officer package in.

Sir, your statement about recruiters just trying to get people who come to us for Officer routes to go Enlisted is bogus. Myself and a Recruiter both referred a guy the other day to the OSO and have told those who have degrees they should go Officer simply due to the retirement pay alone. We get a few of them say they want enlisted so then we deal with it then.

as for the OSO not calling him back, well; We ARE over populated in both the Officer and Enlisted ranks, and he's probably got lots of qualified applicants ready to go. He's probably putting him off as an alternate if he needs him.

If it's really something you want then I'd say stand by and wait. pop in on the OSO ever so often as the Capt suggested but don't expect your messages to be returned unless he's got news for you. And don't hang out at the office after you checked in with him, it'll only annoy him.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Marines and Marine Officers,
    First, thank you for helping all of us with this thread, it is very informative and helpful to many of us.
    I have looked at the different Officer programs that the Marines here have written about, but I am still a little hazy about some things.
    I am in the DEP at the moment, leaving for basic 16 Nov. The MOS my recruiter and I have decided on is Cryptologic Linguist which awards an Associates after language training and outside General Education credits. I shall be turning 25 yo in basic.
    I have not spoken to an OSO, but would like the opinions of the Marines here as to which Officer program might best suit me.
    Thank you sirs,
    S.O'Brien

Empyrean, the Marine Corps has "boot camp", "OCS" (Officers Candidate School) and "TBS" (The Basic School), not basic training. That's the Army.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I apologize.
    Would the correct technical term simply be Recruit Training?

I had believed that the training Marines received at MCRD could be termed "basic" training based on the banner at the top of the MCRD San Diego website (http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/) in which it states: "To recruit, train and support the making of the highest quality basic U.S. Marine." That is to say that it seemed to me that MCRD provided the most basic training for a recruit, and as such could be called Basic Recruit Training.
    I meant no offense and hope you realize it was an error based on inexperience, and I thank you for correcting it.

As an aside, I was curious about the dates you entered and exited the Marine Corps, 1988-1989. May I ask why one year?

Thank you Ma'am
    S.O'Brien

Trust me, it's Marine Corps "boot camp."
    And a PM has been sent to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Empyrean View Post
    I apologize.
    Would the correct technical term simply be Recruit Training?

I had believed that the training Marines received at MCRD could be termed "basic" training based on the banner at the top of the MCRD San Diego website (http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/) in which it states: "To recruit, train and support the making of the highest quality basic U.S. Marine." That is to say that it seemed to me that MCRD provided the most basic training for a recruit, and as such could be called Basic Recruit Training.
    I meant no offense and hope you realize it was an error based on inexperience, and I thank you for correcting it.

As an aside, I was curious about the dates you entered and exited the Marine Corps, 1988-1989. May I ask why one year?

Thank you Ma'am
    S.O'Brien
    Don't over analyze stuff, not only does it come off smug and make me want to smack you but you just wasted everyones time by subjecting us to reading essentially a "talk back" where you still feel you're correct in the end yet think you played it off politically enough to not get in trouble.

All I can say if your DI's will have fuuuun with you.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was wrong.
    I was asking for clarifaction, which I also did in a PM to LASWMarine. I had used the wrong word in my original post.
    The message was not meant to be smug. I tried to illustrate why I thought the way I did. I will use the correct term now and thanked LASWMarine for helping me. I am sorry if I have further offended anyone, I was simply trying to ask for information in the most polite way that I know. I still hope that someone can answer my initial question.
    I realize this will probably be said to be a good idea, but I am just going to shut up now.
    Thank you Marines
    S.O'Brien

and all we really wanted was "Roger, Shutting my trap."

being concise is ALWAYS better than giving too much info away. Only give away info that is asked for. The more you spout the more you could get yourself into trouble and have to backpedal.

Empyrean,

You seem smart. There's nothing wrong with that, but understand that your excuses and explanations will NEVER work. Accept corrections given to you...alter your manner of thinking or reacting...and move on.

That said, to answer your original question, there really isn't a BEST route for you to go. Check out https://www.marines.usmc.mil/G3/Offi...tedOfficer.htm to see the various enlsited to officer programs and their most up to date info. If you plan on applying your credits earned through the Defense Language Institute (your MOS school as a crypto-linguist) toward any sort of degree, understand that MCP requires 75 credit hours of actual course work. MOS schools aren't actual course work. You need hours from an accredited college or university.

However, you're going to have a solid year and a half or more of initial training (Boot Camp, MCT, MOS School) and then you'll need to establish yourself at your first permanent duty station before you can even think about an officer program. So, by all means keep it in the back of your mind and gather as much info as you can, but do not under any circumstances focus completely on becoming an officer yet. If you look too far to the future, you'll have no idea what is going on around you...and you will not excel. In order to go from enlisted to officer, you need to excel, acceptable is not nearly acceptable...if that makes sense.

I wanted to get in here seeing that you are about 3 weeks from beginning Recruit Training. Having done three tours of duty as a Drill Instructor I feel it my right to say this. This posting site may be nice and informative but it doesn't say a damn thing. Know this. You are about to embark on the hardest thing known to mankind. If you are able to come out of it on the "other side" your life will be forever changed. I hope that you can put all of the 'verbage' away for the three months you are training and learn to live very quietly. You question nothing and do everything. I wish you the best, but have my doubts by the posts I have read. Good luck

LASWMarine;
    Thank you. That is one of THE best quotations I have ever read. I have been around to read quite a few too. Thank you for your service, Semper Fi.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Staff Sergeant Slaughter,
    Thank you very much for the information! All of it was very helpful, ecspecially the website. I was trying to gauge how realistic it would be for me to move from enlisted to officer later on, if I had the desire. I hadn't realized MOS school didn't count towards MCP, so that's a little disappointing, but better to know sooner than later.
    Thank you once again sir
    S.O'Brien

Thread Information