Miserable performance in DEP PT. [Help me out here?] - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rest days are very important so is stretching before and after. Bananas are good, if im really sore I might take some vitamin C.

I do crossfit WODs everyday except M and W cuz those are my rest days before poolee PT. I also take swim classes MWF. Run everyday M W are half mile days.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The others have all had great suggestions, but there is one thing no one mentioned.

If you are drinking tons and tons and tons of water, like more than a gallon a day you are flushing all the electrolytes out of your system. Which is bad. You need those to make your muscles contract properly. And they'll also prevent cramping ( like calf, quad, shoulder cramps).

I did crew in highschool. The only reason I mention this is because it is such a consistent sport that you can watch different things affect your times by even fractions of seconds on a day to day basis. When I drank tons and tons of water I went slower than when I sipped a reasonable, but still plenty, amount of water.

Also skipping a meal will crush you.

These things might not improve your performance, but they will help to make sure you are always at the top of your game. I'm not a scientist though :P

The de/hydration thing is something that I'm trying to get a good grip on.

At the start of DEP, it was an issue for me which I corrected enough to get me through the second week with significant improvement. Though in the last PT(the one this thread's based on), I was dehydrated to the point where my head was throbbing, I wasn't sweating at all, and I was pale by the time we stopped.

I use to drink a gal of water a day but I slowly backed away from it when I noticed if I never really got dehydrated since my body retained alot of the water. I do drink water after though but drinking alot before made me cramp bad to early with the wanting to **** feeling happen during PT.

Keep pushing it man, I started out not even being able to run a mile without stopping but I pushed and got there. When you start adding mileage to your runs youll begin to notice how your body gets use to what you use to do and make it seem easier then before. YOU HAVE TO RUN AND PUSH THROUGH THOSE PAINS AND CRAMPS FOR YOUR BODY TO BECOME STRONGER!!!!!

Also your body needs to rest, give those muscles time to heal. Eat better, give that body better fuel to burn.

Had PT again today, with proper hydration, some changes to my running technique, and a different mentality, I managed to drag myself through it. Fell from the front to the back again, but everything was in sight and I didn't feel like **** by the time it was over. We actually ran more today and did less exercise, but still, huge confident boost there.

Thanks for the advise from everyone here and to those who PMed me a great deal of helpful info.

Great site, great community.

Bro, WE all have to start some where if we never did any rigorus physical training.

I always been on the heavy side *people said it was just because I was big boned....BULL***** and the only physical activities I did was either on that basketball court/football field or just running around in the woods/outside after school, which was years ago. I'm currently in the best shape of my life and my body is showing it, I had so much muscle under the fat that when I started dropping pounds I could see what was underneath all that flab. Unlike how we think and may want it but nothing comes in the blink of the eye and to get the results you want you HAVE TO PUT OUT and REACH OUT OF THAT COMFORT ZONE.

You'll do better man trust me, I was one of those guys who couldnt do it but always you have to get that out of your head and train yourself. You need to train yourself how to breath correctly, how to pace yourself/keep pace in formation, learn tricks of the trade from the Recruiters/RA Marines, and push all doubt out of your mind.

Set goals....break them....compete against yourself....look straight ahead and tell yourself to get to that destination and once you pass it find another waypoint and pass that....the last stretch regardless of how much it may hurt SPRINT IT OUT!!!!!

Today I added some mileage/routes to my current running area and yea it did hurt because my body wasnt use to going further then I set it, I have to break pass this and push on. If I can do it you can......hit those streets man, throw on some tunes, enjoy what God put out there for your viewing pleasure and just get it in.

Keep at it!

I started doing the Georges St Pierre RushFit program, if any of you have 8 weeks and 100 bucks I would definately. I work full time so typically I dont PT with my RSS but these DVD's kick my butt I am usually dripping with sweat after wards. I have been doing it for almost 2 weeks now in an 8 week program and I am loving every minute of it.

You hate the workout while you are doing it because it will kick your butt but afterwards you feel so great. Sort of how you feel after a run. I could be tired from a days work but after I work out or run I feel re-invigorated.

Also to the OP nice work just keep it up eventually you will be surprised how quickly you come around. Check out some of the older posts some of us have here a lot of us were in the exact same place you were a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GRJin View Post
    I DEPed in three weeks ago with a shipping date set for the end of January. To me, this is perfect because it allows me to get school out of the way and more importantly because I can reshape myself.

Physical condition: 20 year old male, 5ft 9inch, weighing in at the high 180s. I got enough muscle mass to drag me through the exercises, and that's good, but it's not enough.

Now here's the problem, running drains me in a flash. I practically walk half of the jogging(or running in place which is worse for me) sessions because right after that we're engaged in another, more physical exercise. Now although that exercise doesn't drain me, we run again right after, and I find myself dragging behind. So basically, I start off good. I do all the stretches, warm ups, and exercises without any problems. But right after we go start running continuously and that's where everything goes downhill.
    Today I literally fell behind the entire group of the twenty of us. It's pathetic, I am by no means satisfied with that.

I dehydrated in a flash, but the problem with that is that I've been drinking so much water that it's nauseating. So excuse my language here, but wtf?

I don't know what happened today, but I don't want to fall behind again. So I ask people who've probably been in similar situations what I can do here to improve myself.

Any first hand experiences would be better than theoretical information I can find online.
    I started the same way although I weighed 194 6"0. Running has always been my weakness but I started changing my diet to fish and chicken(low carb) and dropped down to 167 within the matter of a month. I lost it so quickly from just changing my diet. I lead most of the PT sessions at my RSS now and when I see someone struggling I will never leave him/her behind but instead make the whole group run in place till they keep up the pace. Puts a little pressure on them. I think if you just go on a good diet you will be fine. Also when you run by yourself go for sprints then jogs in a cycle because light jogs will hardly improve your cardio. Just work at it bro.. there are alot of poolees that started out at tougher situations than you. If you need any help with your diet just shoot me a PM. Goodluck!

all comes down to one thing, and thats never giving up. everytime it hurts, thats less it'll hurt in bootcamp, everytime you push past your limits, thats less blood your unit may shed in combat bro. thats what i think about every time i feel like ****.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    This is what I tell everyone having trouble running, you have to keep practicing, and not just at the office on group PT days...don't run only at night or in the morning when it "feels better", you have to run in the heat because that's how you'll be running your IST's, in the heat of the middle of the day..

If you run when it 'feels nice' then your body is going to shut down during your IST..not that you should run every day in the heat because if you run in the cold you'll shut down too, never repeat the same exercise, it's not good for you.

here's what I do...
    5-day regiment
    Monday - do a distance run (1-3miles) timed, like you would run an IST, don't stop.

Tuesday - do a long slow distance run (2-5) miles, don't push too hard, this should be an easy run

Wednesday - Do a moderate distance run (.5-2.5miles) sprint for 100meters every 100meters until you are sure you can't sprint anymore, push yourself, you need to know how to push past it when your body want's to break down, this will help so you don't have to figure it out when you get to boot camp

Thursday - Do another long distance run, be slow and easy like the Tuesday run

Friday - Do the Moderate distance run with sprints just like the Wednesday run

Rest on Saturday and Sunday
    Change between morning/night/ and mid-day, you have to get used to running in the heat, drink water, and don't eat greasy foods or drink milk because they dehydrate you..

I had a miserable performance today.

I was so dehydrated today, i ran outa water real quick too. Luckily people share. I was tasting salt and feeling my lips burn almost the whole time. Being dehydrated really messes you up. -Just Saying...

Thread Information