USMC Regulations to Enlist as FMF Corpsman?
Create Post

USMC Regulations to Enlist as FMF Corpsman?

Hi All,

I'm having difficulty enlisting as a Marine due to a tattoo on my back that extends past my 7th vertebrae. It's not visible unless I lean forward, but for the sake of my enlistment its being treated like a neck tattoo.

I haven't given up yet, but I'm looking at other options. Specifically I'm looking into enlisting in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman. I know that Corpsman that serve with Marines are required to meet the grooming and physical standards of the Marine Corps. So my question is, will I run into the same issue if I am placed with a Marine unit? Would I be prevented from serving with Marines because of this tattoo. Thank you for your help.

How about removing the tattoo?

Simplify your problem all the way around.

That would be fine by me. However my recruiter told me that the waiver would be the same as though I hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tras View Post
    Hi All,

I'm having difficulty enlisting as a Marine due to a tattoo on my back that extends past my 7th vertebrae. It's not visible unless I lean forward, but for the sake of my enlistment its being treated like a neck tattoo.

I haven't given up yet, but I'm looking at other options. Specifically I'm looking into enlisting in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman. I know that Corpsman that serve with Marines are required to meet the grooming and physical standards of the Marine Corps. So my question is, will I run into the same issue if I am placed with a Marine unit? Would I be prevented from serving with Marines because of this tattoo. Thank you for your help.
    Navy tattoo regs are a bit different than Marine tattoo regs.After FMTB it is optional to follow Marine Corps uniform regs and must be requested.There is also a possiblility you may not be attached to a Marine command for a number of years.

Just because you become a Navy corpsman (hospital man) does not mean you'll get to serve with the Fleet Marine Forces. You may serve your entire enlistment at a Navy hospital or aboard ship.

Talked to a USN recruiter yet? If not, it's time to.

Thank you for the responses. Master Sergeant I haven't spoken with a Navy recruiter yet, I'm going to get on that. HM1, I know its not a guarantee to serve with Marines as a Corpsman. I was under the impression though, that if you could hack it, they need more Corpsman to volunteer for FMF service?

The last numbers I saw were FMF HM manning was at 106%,but it is over 200% who are qualified to be assigned to FMF positions.The Navy's policy is to get all HM's to FMTB at some point in their career and be qualified as HM 8404.

One of the last HM "A" school class to graduate only sent 2 to FMTB for training,the numbers vary from class to class.

Thread Information