Deployment makes me proud to be an American and a Marine
Create Post

Deployment makes me proud to be an American and a Marine

Since my recent arrival here in Afghanistan, I believe I have become more patriotic and proud to be a Marine. The latter seems normal since now I am performing a service to the Marine Corps, and America herself.

One thing I noticed that is alot more prevalent here in Afghanistan that seems to be lacking back home, is Patriotism. When Old Glory is flown here, people take it seriously. Back home, it angers me every time I see a mistreatment of our Nations Flag. Even at the MCX at Cherry Point, the American Flag can be seen flying at night without properly being lit up. Here however, every single flag that is flown is treated with the respect that is deserving of the colors that make America what it is. You can request to have a flag flown in honor of someone, and you recieve your flag back to you after the flag is flown with a certificate of appreciation from the 2MAW CG, and Sgt. Maj.

It just makes me proud to be an American when I see Old Glory taken care of how she/he deserves. (I am actually unsure of the national flags gender, although I know it is regarded as a 'living thing'. Quoting the USMC Flag Manual)

I get one little thread on my American flag or Marine Corps flag it is taken down and cut off, I hate when there is disrespect to our flags, Good Luck Marine, Semper Fidelis.

How often, really, do we see disrespect to an American flag, compared to respect for it? I don't think it's a widespread problem in America.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for your service Marine

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    How often, really, do we see disrespect to an American flag, compared to respect for it? I don't think it's a widespread problem in America.
    It may not be a widespread problem persay..... haven't counted...but nowadays I would say for every good flag flown you have a tattered and weather worn and faded to match.

When most military or prior military are flying the national ensign they have the utmost respect for it and fly it according to the code.

Most of the problems with flying the flag is at businesses that fly a flag out front to show that they are American owned and the flag flies 24/7 and is wind beaten and tattered and the business does not replace it.

Or when you see the little hand held American flags taped to a vehicle antenna wind beaten and tattered and still not replaced although the intention was good that particular flag was not a charging battle flag.

Although most battle flags in museums from the battles of yesteryear are in better shape than some flags flying today.....

If the flag is flown it should be flown with the utmost respect or taken down until it can be replaced and ceremoniously burned or given to an organization that will dispose of it properly.

I fly my American Flag as much as possible ,And fly my Beloved corps flag right next to Old Glory ...

God Bless America ,God Bless Our Troops , Here & Gone ,But Never Forgotten .

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Old Glory

L/Cpl Nedward I once had a VA,Doctor ask Me what's tha Highest you've ever been Son? I goes excuse Me!!! He goes you know what was the best Drug You ever did in Country? I looked at that Miserable Creature and said well I remember this one time Doc,after We took out a NVA.Sapper unit's Hdqs,and Us Marines planted Old Glory and She was Crackin' in tha Wind then We all stood up and were singing Tha Marine Corps Hymn...We all left our Bodie's!!! Now that's the kind of Trippin' and Gettin High I was doin!!! GodBless You and Your Fellow Marines,We ain't gonna leave You Hanging like they did Us...Semper Fidelis

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtJane08 View Post
    It's a disgrace that it ever happens.

Thread Information