Is it currently hard to re-enlist?
Create Post

Is it currently hard to re-enlist?

I ship to boot camp soon and i was just wondering if its hard to re-enlist after my four years is up, i know alot can happen in four years but iv been hearing that its been hard to re-enlist currently since the Marines are downsizing. Just seeing if theres truth to that or not, Im sure it depends on MOS, im going in under an infantry contract, any answers would be appreciated, thanks and thanks to all of you who have served and given us our freedoms we cherish today.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Not hard if you keep your nose clean and squared away and you are recommended for reenlistment by your command.

About a year before EAS a career planner or whatever they are called today will set up an appointment with you to see if you qualify and you want to opt for retention either in your present MOS or what you are qualified for.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Not hard if you keep your nose clean and squared away and you are recommended for reenlistment by your command.

About a year before EAS a career planner or whatever they are called today will set up an appointment with you to see if you qualify and you want to opt for retention either in your present MOS or what you are qualified for.
    Good answer.

And in 4 years, will the Marine Corps still be downsizing? No telling. A lot could happen in 4 years and the situation could be much different.

Just an observation, though, and that is, I know your question is one out of curiosity, but I would not worry too much about re-enlisting in 4 years when you havn't gone to boot camp yet. Focus, do the best you can, and be all you can be. Oh...that's the army!

But seriously, number one priority right now is boot right now, then in the FMF doing what Phantom Blooper says.

All you wannabes and poolees should pay more attention to the stickies that are being posted.........they are made stickies for a reason.

A Smaller Corps, Sooner..Posted 20 August '11. WANNABEES TAKE HEED!
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=105591

That sticky doesn't really answer the question. Things are changing in the Marine Corps. Gone are the days of reenlisting as a sh*t bird because no one's paying attention and your CO signs off on it becuae they have a quota to meet. To answer your question, it's hard to say since I havent seen anyone reenlist under the new order, but it's substancially more difficult to reenlist now on paper, and if the Marine Corps so decides, they can change your MOS to meet the needs of the Marine Corps.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...MIN273-11.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Rwimmer View Post
    I ship to boot camp soon and i was just wondering if its hard to re-enlist after my four years is up, i know alot can happen in four years but iv been hearing that its been hard to re-enlist currently since the Marines are downsizing. Just seeing if theres truth to that or not, Im sure it depends on MOS, im going in under an infantry contract, any answers would be appreciated, thanks and thanks to all of you who have served and given us our freedoms we cherish today.
    It depends on which MOS you're in.

The Marine Corps is currently downsizing, and in this economy a lot of people are enlisting out of necessity. As a result, the Marine Corps doesn't need that many people to reenlist, and acts accordingly. They're pretty indifferent right now. "Who cares about you? If you don't reenlist, there are plenty of other qualified guys who need to pay bills. Screw you."

This is not a bad thing. It just means that if you want to stay in, you have to show that you're valuable to the Corps. Like one of the previous posters said, the days of a turd being able to reenlist just because the Jammer needs to meet quota are over. The Marine Corps gets to pick and choose whom they want to keep.

So if you want to stay in, keep your nose clean and show your superiors that the Marine Corps would be better off if they gave you the boat space instead of giving your spot to Private Bootlicker. It isn't hard.

Thanks alot for all the replies, those answered my question completly, thanks for your service everyone Godbless

Thread Information