Aviation Mechanics?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Aviation Mechanics?

I've signed my SOU for the AF contract and am scheduled to ship Halloween day, Oct. 31st, 2011 and I just wanted to ask some aviation Marines a few general questions about the job. In general, what's the average week look like? Or is it 100% unpredictable? I've been told that it's like a normal work day(in terms of duration), but I've also been told I'll be working 12-14+ hrs everyday. I came to do work and am ready for it, but I haven't talked to a lot of Marines in aviation mechanics so I'm not sure who's right, or if at times it's both ways. Not a grave concern, but I would like to know and any help is always greatly appreciated.

Try doing a search on the site.....these are just a few.

Aviation MOS
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...tion+Mechanics

Marine Aviation Mechanics and Combat Support
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...tion+Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by tim8901 View Post
    I've signed my SOU for the AF contract and am scheduled to ship Halloween day, Oct. 31st, 2011 and I just wanted to ask some aviation Marines a few general questions about the job. In general, what's the average week look like? Or is it 100% unpredictable? I've been told that it's like a normal work day(in terms of duration), but I've also been told I'll be working 12-14+ hrs everyday. I came to do work and am ready for it, but I haven't talked to a lot of Marines in aviation mechanics so I'm not sure who's right, or if at times it's both ways. Not a grave concern, but I would like to know and any help is always greatly appreciated.
    \

Tim my day was a standard 8 to 5 with 2 hours for lunch if you PT'd during lunch. It was a really good job to have because I was in a A.C.'d unit working on components pulled off of aircraft. The wingers get a hard time from the grunts because we have it so easy. I would be very surprised if you have to work longer than a 10 hour work day and would thing they would have 2 shifts for repair if warranted.

I am a 6217, O level F/A 18 powerline mechanic, basically, I work on the engines. Not only do we work on engines, we are responsible for almost everything that happens everywhere, I could go more into detail, but in all honesty, you wouldn't understand it, I sure as hell didn't until I got here. I work from 630-1700 at the earliest, unless is an extremely rare friday where we get off early (only 3 times in 6 months). I get about 45 minutes for chow. I am outside for almost all the day doing something on a jet, either setting it up for launch, inspecting it, dropping an engine, stuffing an engine, if it has to deal with fuel or oil, im working on it. If you become and O level mechanic either powerline or air frames, you will work 10 hours a day, unless you in some special squadron where they run 8 hour shifts (not one on my base). There is A/C in the shop, but you will never be in there unless your a Cpl and above. Grunts and alot of other units like to say the wing is easy, and in all honesty, many of the jobs are pretty simple with very little work outside, except power line and air frames. If you get a electronic job on aircraft, you will sit inside most of the day or doing some kind of work for another shop, I really dont see them outside often. Its hot, your always working, and you deal with alot of bull, but its one of the most respected jobs in a squadron because were the ones that put our names on a paper saying the jet is safe for flight. If we mess up and it crashes, we could possible go to jail. If another shop was to mess with us, we write up as many possible gripes for there shop so they have to work harder, we hold all the cards. They help us, we help them, and when its working, it works great, when its not, everything hits the fan. I'd suggest the MOS, I love it to death. Im doing all the boot work and still enjoy it. If you have any more questions just PM me, I'll be glad to answer anything you have.

Credits
    Savings
    So it seems as long as I'm not in a powertrain or airframe MOS it'll be a pretty easy going job(to a certain extent). Don't get me wrong I'm no stranger to work, and in all honesty I expect it, but it's refreshing to hear that I'm not gonna be pulling 12-14+ hr shifts every day. Long as I have enough time to eat/prepare meals(im huge on fitness/nutrition), and have say an hour and a half to train every day Ill be plenty happy. Hell all I do NOW is work and train and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks everyone your input was very very helpful. I can tell Im already gonna like the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by tim8901 View Post
    So it seems as long as I'm not in a powertrain or airframe MOS it'll be a pretty easy going job(to a certain extent). Don't get me wrong I'm no stranger to work, and in all honesty I expect it, but it's refreshing to hear that I'm not gonna be pulling 12-14+ hr shifts every day. Long as I have enough time to eat/prepare meals(im huge on fitness/nutrition), and have say an hour and a half to train every day Ill be plenty happy. Hell all I do NOW is work and train and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks everyone your input was very very helpful. I can tell Im already gonna like the Corps.
    Got a lot of friends who work on the flightline as mechs.

Basically, the job's done when it's done. There are times when you'll be sitting around for hours with nothing to do, and there will be times when you end up having to do ten hours of work in six hours. If they're doing operations and stuff needs to get fixed, they aren't going to care that it's after hours... and you'll be working until the bird's back in the air. Other times, you'll be sitting there twiddling your thumbs and looking for makework to do.

All in all, it's a pretty good job, especially since you can start working for a civilian airplane maintenance company after you get out. Just make sure you do the USMAP program so you get credit for it.

MarinesFTW, excellent answer!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Again, thank you everyone for the input! I'm open to anything you Aviation Marines have to say, it's my chosen path, and I've heard good things for the most part. I'm really looking forward to hitting the fleet. Thanks again.

Thread Information