Last few stubborn pounds!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last few stubborn pounds!

Fellow poolees,

When I began the journey to become a Marine, I was 253lbs at 5' 7". To date, I've lose over 60 lbs, clocking in at 187 right now. These last few pounds are excruciatingly hard to lose! At 5' 7" I need to be 176, and I still have more weight to lose to be inside the 18% body fat allowed to get a 5% waiver.

Does anyone have any advice on helping me with these last few lbs? So far, a good healthy diet with constant running(about 2-4 miles per day, alternating) with no weight training(just pullups/situps to reduce extra muscle mass!) has gotten me down to this weight, but I've been struggling with the last 10.

Any advice? Anything special like a particular diet or juiceing work for you? Or am I going to have to OOH-RAH and work my ass off even harder?

Appreciate any input!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Johrai View Post
    Fellow poolees,

When I began the journey to become a Marine, I was 253lbs at 5' 7". To date, I've lose over 60 lbs, clocking in at 187 right now. These last few pounds are excruciatingly hard to lose! At 5' 7" I need to be 176, and I still have more weight to lose to be inside the 18% body fat allowed to get a 5% waiver.

Does anyone have any advice on helping me with these last few lbs? So far, a good healthy diet with constant running(about 2-4 miles per day, alternating) with no weight training(just pullups/situps to reduce extra muscle mass!) has gotten me down to this weight, but I've been struggling with the last 10.

Any advice? Anything special like a particular diet or juiceing work for you? Or am I going to have to OOH-RAH and work my ass off even harder?

Appreciate any input!

Try doing stuff like crossfit it's all cardio and circuit training great for losing weight and getting in great shape. And if you have the money buy insanity one of the best cardio workouts I've ever done
    It's quite a bit cheaper off of ebay too if you think about buying it

and long runs at a slower pace are better for losing weight then low miles faster time
    try going for like 5 or more miles, no need to run really fast, the point of it is to keep your heart rate high for a long period of time which means more calories burned

pretty much all you have to do is eat less, like 1500-1800 calories, and burn more

Quote Originally Posted by TWDP View Post
    Try doing stuff like crossfit it's all cardio and circuit training great for losing weight and getting in great shape
    Good thing you mentioned Crossfit because I feel like a broken record mentioning it so many times, but it does work. If there isn't one near you or you can't afford it http://crossfit.com has their Workout Of the Day (WOD) posted on their home page.

I'm in the same boat you are Johrai, I'm even shipping a week before you so I understand your time crunch. I came from 230 something down to 204 and need to be at 197. One of the things I'm doing is I'm just going to start working out twice a day. One is just going to be a regular distance run, maybe a ruck every once in a while, and some push ups and crunches at home. The second is going to be a workout at the gym, mine is a Crossfit affiliate, and I'm hoping that the two of them combined with going even stricter on my diet will work.

Another thing about your diet is eat smaller meals more often. If you eat 5 small meals a day, instead of 3 big ones, your metabolism stays high throughout the day and you burn more calories. The more whole foods you can eat the better. Lara bars are half decent, but they have no additives or anything, unless you get chocolate ones. They work good for like a breakfast bar and an in-between meal because they're just enough to hold your body over for another 2 hours. Drinking water will also help curb your appetite.

80% Diet/20% Working out/PT

Change the intake and do some good cardio. I wasn't looking to lose weight but all I did was add more miles on my running route and I dropped 4-5 lbs in a week.

I was having a similar problem. I cut out all carbs and sugar. I also started crossfit - it works! If you cut carbs and sugar, just be careful adding them back into your diet or you gain back the weight you lost and then some. Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I totally think it's doable in the two months I have, but gaining muscle mass seems to be a problem as well. I think I'll take the general advice and radically change my diet. It's good, now, but not as good as it can be!

Also, lengthening my runs as well. These days, I've been doing about 1.5 miles at least, every day, with longer or two runs every other day.

Think extending to 3+ miles every day would do the trick? Also, what is Crossfit? I am unfamiliar with is haha.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Johrai View Post
    Also, what is Crossfit?
    Crossfit explains itself as: "CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide."

Pretty much its a bunch of work out enthusiasts who started a website. Their workouts are designed, for the most part, to have practical applications. Later they realized that they should probably have gyms to do their workouts at and so started their affiliate program. It has grown since then to include an international competition that was hosted on ESPN3 this year and sponsored by Reebok. They also have dietary help as well as a couple other things.

Here's their main site, they post a workout for every day on here. Most of them you can do at your own gym.
    http://crossfit.com/

Here's a list of their affiliates, local gyms.
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/

I have lost some weight for the Marine Coprs and am still losing weight. My weight loss is slow as I am at 16% body fat. However, the one thing my recruiter has me doing was when I first wake up befor I eat going on a 1-1.5 mile.

When you wake up your body has burnt the food in your system so during the run your body burns body fat for fuel and then when you get back from the run make sure to eat your breakfest.

Another thing is I am on a very strict diet but its pretty simple to stick with. If you would like it give my your email and I'll send it to you. You eat 3 big meals and drink a protein shake twice daily.
    Also NOOOO carbs after 3 or 4ish, for dinner you eat protein and vegestables.
    Good Luck

try crossfit endurance . com they have really good WODs ( workout of the day) as well. my buddy just did these everyday ( or whatever it said to do) and said he actually got out of shape in bootcamp lol

Quote Originally Posted by TWDP View Post
    pretty much all you have to do is eat less, like 1500-1800 calories, and burn more
    FALSE, your body needs those 2000 calories, if you eat less than your supposed to you can still gain weight/have trouble losing it.

My advice would be to stick to a healthy 3 meal a day 2000 calorie diet, and hit the gym doing light weights for a good amount of time to burn calories then hop on a treadmill for a while. The reason for this is so that you burn everything up while your lifting LIGHT weights and when you get on the treadmill you burn pure fat.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyj View Post
    FALSE, your body needs those 2000 calories, if you eat less than your supposed to you can still gain weight/have trouble losing it.

My advice would be to stick to a healthy 3 meal a day 2000 calorie diet, and hit the gym doing light weights for a good amount of time to burn calories then hop on a treadmill for a while. The reason for this is so that you burn everything up while your lifting LIGHT weights and when you get on the treadmill you burn pure fat.
    You're partially right. Your body does need the 2000 calories a day, however how often and how many times you eat does affect how your body process it. If you eat less than what your body needs, it may store the energy as fat later. Same thing goes with water. If you don't drink enough consistently, your body will store in for a time when there is a shortage.

5 meals a day is better than 3 because it keeps your metabolism up since your body consistently process the food coming in. Your body may also store some of the energy from one of your meals as fat for later in the day. It may seem stupid logically, but I since when has the body ever made sense. If you eat more meals a day then your body learns that it will get more calories later and will use the energy rather than store it.

Now, that said, eating 5 meals a day does not mean 5 large meals. On a 2000 calorie diet you should consume 5 meals of 400 calories. It actually isn't hard once you get used to the routine, but it is hard to get into that habit at first.

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkTwiceT1000 View Post
    You're partially right. Your body does need the 2000 calories a day, however how often and how many times you eat does affect how your body process it. If you eat less than what your body needs, it may store the energy as fat later. Same thing goes with water. If you don't drink enough consistently, your body will store in for a time when there is a shortage.

5 meals a day is better than 3 because it keeps your metabolism up since your body consistently process the food coming in. Your body may also store some of the energy from one of your meals as fat for later in the day. It may seem stupid logically, but I since when has the body ever made sense. If you eat more meals a day then your body learns that it will get more calories later and will use the energy rather than store it.

Now, that said, eating 5 meals a day does not mean 5 large meals. On a 2000 calorie diet you should consume 5 meals of 400 calories. It actually isn't hard once you get used to the routine, but it is hard to get into that habit at first.
    Good point about the 5 meal plan, I did not think to mention that

Also try starting your day with oatmeal, its a good protein source and slow digesting so it keeps you metabolism going for a while.

I never counted calories, I think of it a way to add in snacks you want to have if you're "points" dont add up to 2000 yet.

Just eat 5 meals a day at certain times. For snacks eat fruit or a whole grain sandwhich. Usually on a sandwhich its just wheat bread, a slice of cheese, 3-4 slices of meat, and some lettuce. I skip all the dressings and stuff since I dont like it anyways. You follow a good diet plan and hit the gym ATLEAST 3 times you'll lose that easily.

80%Diet and Mental 20%Working out.....TRUST ME I lost over 50 lbs just to DEP in

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2HaveEGA843 View Post
    For snacks eat fruit or a whole grain sandwhich.
    Be careful with grains because the carbs are sugar, don't believe me check a dietary label. Carbs and sugar are in the same category.

Fruit is better because its a sugar that gets into your body fast. Carbs take a bit longer and so have a better chance of being turned into fat. I've pretty much cut all grains out of my system.

Hell, get watermelon while it is still in season. It is mainly water so it will fill you up without giving you to many calories.

You keep mentioning carbs as if carbohydrates are bad. Complex carbohydrates are good for you they are energy that lasts a long time, why do you think runners who are getting ready for a marathon or what not carbo load? Because they are good for sustained energy the only time carbohydrates are bad for you is if you eat a lot of them and sit on your @$$ carbs and some sugars are not in and of themselves inherently bad.

It is when you consume them in exorbitant amounts and then sit around all day playing Xbox that you dont see a difference. But If you eat a lot of carbs (obviously assuming that youre eating a balanced diet) and work out you will do fine, when you are active your metabolic rate will rise and you will burn off most of the calories/carbs ETC.

ETA: also anything can be turned into fat, you dont decide what your body turns stuff into your body does. It decides what it thinks you need and absorbs what it think it needs and discards the rest.

Thread Information