Another question about cammies
Create Post
    PJones64
    Guest Free Member

Another question about cammies

Just saw a question about cammies, reminded me of one I meant to ask some time ago but never did.
    Why don't they issue short sleeved cammies for garrison, and I ask this because a long sleeved shirt rolled up to your biceps looks kind of bulky.
    and probably feels bulky, as well as hot
    In hot climates, in the States, dont they issue short sleeve cammie shirts?

They never did when I was in, but we never had to roll our sleeves nearly up to our shoulders, either

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    The reason I ask is that I don't think the uniforms look good, rolled up all the way like that, producing a big bulge. That looks unnatural, for some reason.

I can see in the desert or in combat but stateside, in a hot climate, why not have a short sleeve cammie or utility shirt.

If they had that, it would just be one more uniform that you would have to be accountable for and maintain and spend money on. The blouse may look bulky, but just as long as they are rolled good, the sleeves are not bulky and feel just fine. I prefer to leave some slack in the sleeves which feels more comfortable then having them rolled to the point of cutting of circulation to the arms, which some Marines prefer to do (don't know why, the uniform is built for comfort).

On a side note, not sure how far it got, but HQMC was considering and soliciting votes from Marines, I believe it was last year, as to whether sleeves should be rolled at all.

Oh they're bulky if your arms are big. But no so restrictive as cotton twill work shirts like a Filson Tin Cloth or Carhartt duck rolled above the elbow

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Air Force used to allow Airmen, at their own expense, to cut down their fatigue uniform sleeves to wear in summer weather. They still had to maintain the basic issue of long-sleeved shirts too. But no more.

Personally, I'd rather roll up sleeves in case I needed long-sleeves (desert environment to prevent sunburn and reduce dehydration). It's a ***** to be out in the sun and watch your arms turn crispy.

I wish we would go sleeves down year round. Of course I am in 29 Palms and benefit from the crispy/ farmer's tan/ arm syndrome.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    They don't. I remember seeing something about an idea of having sleeves that zipped off, but they obviously didn't go with that. Would be interesting and a bit easier all together if they did.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    haha, it's just one more thing to separate us from the other braches. Also, you are always sleeves down in training and combat.

I don't think they look bulky as long as the wearer has pride and takes time to roll them nicely. Like someone mentioned though...its also about fit and being comfortable in these uniforms.

Having been stationed in Okinawa I must say that while in garrison a short sleeved version or a tropical climate uniform for the summer time would have been heavenly. Even with sleeves up it was still humid as all get out.

The zip off sleeve idea was one of the things considered, then dumped, (along with leggings.....yes, leggings like WWII/Korea) when the MarPats were adopted back in 2001.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG0369 View Post
    I wish we would go sleeves down year round. Of course I am in 29 Palms and benefit from the crispy/ farmer's tan/ arm syndrome.
    Twentynine Palms for several years 2004-2007 or 2008 was sleeves down year round and there wasn't any specific regulation on which cammies I wore to work. I could have worn deserts in mid-January if I wanted.

In 2007 or 2008 some regulations came down dictating when to wear greens, deserts, sleeves up or down so that the uniform would be uniform across the entire Marine Corps. Supposedly 29Palms was appealing it because of the harsh environment from hot sun, high elevation @ 2500 ft IIRC, skin cancer, sun burns, etc, but my guess is that didn't work out.

I will give up my rolled sleeves kicking and screaming. Its the one thing that kind of sets the Corps apart. If you are ignorant to the different cammo's we use, you at least can see the sleeves rolled. I like them just fine.

Thread Information