Infantry Deployements
Create Post

Infantry Deployements

I want to become an infantry officer and i was wondering how many deployments do infantry officers usually get (within x amount of years) and how long do they last, also where do marines deploy around the world? thanks devil dogs!

Run a search here...and google. Seriously....this has been covered about a gazillion times just in the past year.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The Sgt above hit it on the head but I'm bored so I'll go into more detail. PS..I was a grunt in an infantry battalion. A "normal" tempo (training to combat) used to be 7 months on deployment, 7 months back at garrison (training). I've been out for over a year but with our unit it changes frequently. Sometimes you'll have 7 months off..sometimes you'll be off for a 1.5 years. Then you have to look at being "extended." Yeah..the higher ups can say you're doing a 7 month pump/deployment but that means nothing until you're there. If you can't sustain an area in a reasonable amount of time, they're going to extend your unit until you can. The longest I've heard is a year but don't quote me. Just know you're most likely not going to get the crazy Army 1.5 year deal. In a grunt unit you have two deployment choices...a "flyover" or a MEU. A flyover typically means you take an Air Force jet to Kuwait or wherever else, hang out for a few days, and then they put you in a Iraq/Afghanistan. Usually you'll wind up at a laid back base with a nice PX and Burger King for a few days. After that you jump on another fixed wing (or a bird) and they'll put you near your area of operations. Usually a HUMVEE/7 TON convoy will take you there depending on crappy the area is. A MEU depends on your unit. West Coast Marine (Camp Pen, 29 Palms, or Hawaii) you'll do a "WESTPAC" which usually means.. -Getting on a ship (usually 3 and a few you can't see) and float around hitting some cool ports (Guam, Hong Kong, Philippines, Australia, Singapore, etc..) or possible just hitting a few and then going into Afghanistan. If you're EASTPAC (East coast Marine), you'll do the same deal but hit the Euro countries....but still have the same chance of sailing straight into a warzone. Trying to guess is impossible. Just figure on a 7-9 month pump/deployment and a 7-15 month down time/training. Instant message me if you have any further questions. I'm out now but still friends with a lot of my fellow grunt officers and I can put you in touch with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jahuski35 View Post
    I want to become an infantry officer and i was wondering how many deployments do infantry officers usually get (within x amount of years) and how long do they last, also where do marines deploy around the world? thanks devil dogs!
    For a good start Marine or Marines is to be capitalized, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information