Can any recruiters verify this?
Create Post

Can any recruiters verify this?

Im going into the reserves and while signing the paperwork today my recruiter crossed out the options for 5 years and down and left only the 6 year option (6+2). When I asked about it he said that its new and for the reserves, the only option is 6/2. Is this new or was he just trying to get me for six years?

I'm going reserves also and had to do the same option. I think its the only way you can go in the reserves but I know its the only way you will be able to get the GI Bill.

I have been in for 7 years ... 5 active 2 reserve.... and every reservist I have talked to has had a 6 by 2 contract

I didn't but that is probably because I was prior service.

This is for initial enlistment.....
    When I went reserves from prior service I just ran off my IRR time.... drop out at anytime!!!

Raymond:

To answer your question, unless there was a recent change, applicants may enlist in the reserves for 3, 4, 5, or 6 years--with the remainder of their 8-year military obligation spent in the IRR. With that said, there are a few conditions on enlisting for less than a 6X2 contract. As I recall, if you contract for less than 6X2 you don't receive educational benefits under the GI-Bill. Secondly, if your MOS is a school that will keep you on initial active duty from training in excess of 20 weeks, you must enlist for a 6X2 contract. Of course, this could have changed since I retired. The exact reference is the current edition of MCO 1133R.26.

Thank you for the replies. When I asked about it the recruiter stated that this was new. To me its not a matter of the time as it is a matter of trying to restrict my choices and slip it by me. Now I am not saying that is what happened here, but that is what I wanted to find out. It's a matter of integrity to me. Which is why I decided to go with the branch thats all about honor. As to the issue with being required to do 6/2 if the training lasts more than a certain time. My MOS was not even chosen yet at the time.

Thread Information