WWII Grave Memorial for '46 Enlistee
Create Post

WWII Grave Memorial for '46 Enlistee

Perhaps forum members can help my family with this issue: Our father enlisted in the USMC in the summer of 1946, when he was old enough to do so, went through Basic Training and was honorably discharged before Korea. He is eligible, under VA and Navy regulations, for a World War II Veteran's Grave Marker, since he was on active duty continuously before 31 Dec 1946, and meets all other requirements, including an honorable dischage.

One member of the family (who never served in the military) says he thinks it is unethical for our Dad (now 82, and beginning to fail) to have this marker, which he wants and that we should tell him he is wrong to want it. My feeling is that any man (or woman) who wears the Eagle, Globe and Anchor in 1946 knew he could have been serving in a shooting war on a moment's notice and that he could have been in the first boat to land, and is entitled to that marker.

The opinions of Marines on this, about a Marine, would be very valuable. Thank you, for this and everything else you have done.

The Weasel

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    He rates a marker by the VA.....he knows and the family knows he did not see action in WW II.....but technically anyone who served during that time was a WW II veteran.....there is a fine line between combat and the term "ERA" your dad knows which one he was.

So if he wants the marker give him the marker...he served his country during that time.....

Historically Navy Pearl Harbor veterans didn't all return fire to the Japanese....but they served during that time and they are considered WW II veterans......

You dad and family members know he was not "IN Country" but he is still classified as a WW II veteran.

Some may disagree about the term "ERA" but not all veterans were combat hardened.....the only true thing is he served honorably so he should at least be given the marker to show the time frame of his service.

This is my opine and give the best and Semper-Fi! to your dad!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Weasel, this is a hard one for me. No one has more respect for those Marines that came before me, than myself. However, I would hesitate, to call a Marine a veteran of Viet Nam, Korea, Iraq, or Afgan, if in fact they never set their boots on the ground in that Country. Nor would I consider a Marine, a WW2 veteran, if he enlisted after the war was over. I have great respect for your father. But I personally would not consider him a WW2 veteran. He is a Marine veteran and earned that title.On the other hand, if it is within regulations, he's your father. Honor him the way the way your heart leads you.

Thank you both. I appreciate your thoughts. I know it's a tough question, and I'm greatful for the responses (and any others that may come).

The Weasel

If your father entered active duty on or before 31 Dec 1946 he rates the WW-II Victory Medal and, as you said, if fully entitled to have that inscription on his marker. Don't let any one tell you that doing so is unethical. It would be no more unethical than someone wearing the ribbon of a unit award, like a PUC or MUC, who joined the unit on a designated cut-off date.

Although the Japanese signed the Instrument of Surrender on 2 Sep 1945, the war did not officially end until it was declared ended by by President Truman. Presidential Proclamation Number 2714, 61 Stat. 1048 established the official end to hostilities as 31 Dec 1946. He is a 100-percent veteran of the Second World War and is entitled to be officially recognized as such.

Can someone tell me the meaning of "ERA" as used above?

Thanks.

TW

Serving COG and who never got past States' side assignment should NOT bar anyone from anything they are otherwise entitled to.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

The start of the war is generally held to be 1 September 1939, beginning with the German invasion of Poland; Britain and France declared war on Germany two days later. Other dates for the beginning of war include the start of the Second Sino-Japanese War on 7 July 1937.Others follow British historian A. J. P. Taylor, who held that there was a simultaneous Sino-Japanese War in East Asia, and a Second European War in Europe and her colonies. The two wars merged in 1941, becoming a single global conflict, at which point the war continued until 1945.The exact date of the war's end is not universally agreed upon. It has been suggested that the war ended at the armistice of 14 August 1945 (V-J Day), rather than the formal surrender of Japan (2 September 1945); in some European histories, it ended on V-E Day (8 May 1945). However, the Treaty of Peace with Japan was not signed until 1951.

My understanding of the word "Era" is the time frame of the war or conflict until a surrender is standing or until a withdrawal of personnel from the war zone. Or until a peace treaty is signed.

I may be wrong on this subject....but if one was in during 1939-1945 regardless of the fights...battles...or stateside duty he/she is classified as a veteran of that era....hence I believe is why the VA is stating that your dad is a WW II veteran.

Does anyone else have an opinion either way?

TW

Thread Information