What are my chances of being successfully recruited?
Create Post

What are my chances of being successfully recruited?

Well, like many teenagers do I made the stupid decision to try out marijuana a few times with other people..and believe me, it's a choice that I regret..I saw somebody else's post on here and so decided to ask. When I was younger I was placed on medication for ADHD, and so I'm wondering, with these things together do I really have a good chance of getting recruited? And if so, will the drug use require a waiver?

-(No, the police were never involved, I have a clean record)

- (I have been off of all medication for ADHD for a year and a half, and by the time I turn 18 it will have been about 3 years.)

And if this helps: I am in good shape and have descent grades in school.

Thank you for any helpful response.

I dare you to find more than a handful of young Marines with a squeaky clean past. We all have made mistakes and if you don't have a police record and are clean now, you're good to go. Just don't mess up because they are kicking Marines out left and right for drug violations.

As for the ADHD thing, the only medical records they can have access to are ones that you specifically give them access to. Talk to your recruiter, their job is to get you in. Be honest with him and you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Dog View Post
    see what they are accepting at this time.

Keep in mind, the OP has a long time to wait and see what regs change while he goes through puberty.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Keep in mind, the OP has a long time to wait and see what regs change while he goes through puberty.

Good luck
    Haha thats funny..but on a serious note I gave some info to a recruiter that called me, and he passed it onto the new recruiter in the area..I really want to join the Marine Corps and be honest along the way. Can't the people at MEPS pull up the recruiters notes or something and check that stuff out? Thank you for your responses.

Ok here's the thing: recruiters want you to be successfully enlisted. Trust me when I say that they will do anything legally possible to get you there. They won't break the law but they will work the system

Like everyone else said, if you don't have a record, it didn't happen. I know some won't agree with me but.... many young adults have smoked weed. Not just this generation, but those that came before as well. I'm not saying its right in any way shape or form, but it happens. If you choose to acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them you'll do well.

Keep your nose clean and your mind sharp and you'll be alright.

From the sound of some responses on here already it sounds as some people may be leading you to not disclose some of this information to a Recruiter to help better your chances. Trust me when I tell you this, if you fail to disclose any type of information that could be a disqualifying factor you are putting the career of you Recruiter in jeopardy. Most Recruiter on the streets have been in the Marine Corps for a long time and will not take the chances of throwing that away by trying to cover something up for a 17 or 18 yr old kid. I never did and never will.

As far as a drug waiver goes it will depend on how many times you used marijuana in the past. Even if you used it one time you will require a waiver. Depending on how many times you used it the level of the waiver will change.

With the ADHD medications get all the medical records from your doctor. Be sure that they include the day you started taking the meds and the day you stopped. When the doctors will look at when you stopped and why, and then they will compare that to your current grades. If you have D's of F's on your transcripts they may be a little less inclined to sign off on that and you will require a medical waiver.

Thank you very much. I plan to tell the whole truth. I have only failed half a semester of a single class in my entire life; other than that my grades are good. I was reading up on some thigns and it seems that if one only used marijuana a couple times in experimentation, that a waiver would not be required, but, you're the expert. Again thank you for the response.

Thread Information