please help trying to get the job for me - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thanks

Open contract is just that. OPEN. No guarantees. You join saying I want to be a Marine and I will serve where the Marine Corps needs me. The Marine Corps will place you where the Marine Corps has a need at the time you graduate boot camp. It could be anything. Infantry, administration, motor t, etc.

I would not question a recruiter, but if a recruiter says go open, there is a good chance you can get x, y, and z, there is just as good a chance you will not. The Marine Corps will give you 03 if that's where the Marine Corps wants you.

Listen, the world probably will not end in the next year or two, though the way it is going...but the point is decide what you want to enlist for, and if you have to wait a period of time, then wait. There is nothing wrong with a desire to go into the Marine Corps and also signing up for the mos you want, as long as you qualify for it and you don't mind waiting. Somebody up there gave some good advice about being impatient and getting an MOS you don't like and becoming a sh!+bird.

Like the others said, do your best to get into at least the field you want to be in; which from the sounds of it, is infantry related. It sounds like you swore in without having anything in writing though, which might mean you are SOL.

I was in the air wing, and hated it but I chose to be there. There were a bunch of guys though that were in the same shoes as you, signed up for infantry, went in open contract, and ended up with me, playin' with electricity. It made for a pretty abrasive first couple years having to work with people who didn't want to be there.

Either way, no matter what job you get, if you love being a Marine and want to stick around, you have a good chance at moving once your first contract is up - although most people tend to do ground side first, and then move into "POG" type jobs later. I would have hated moving into an infantry MOS as a Cpl or Sgt that didn't know anything about it.

That's just my .02, I feel like I'm addressing you as well as everybody else here. Good luck

It's pretty much as everyone here has said, just keep pushing for the specific job field that you want. They've got quotas to fill so some recruiters will try to push you into into a certain field or just going general. I waited almost a year to get my contract with the job I wanted, after my recruiter tried to send me open contract a couple times but (with the help of my parents) we caught it, and I got the job I wanted and am exponentially happier than i would have been had I gone general and ended doing Motor T or Food Service.

This is 4-5 years of your life remember, they're trying to sell the Corps to you to enlist. To some extent you're trying to show you're up to it, but a lot of it does fall on them because in the end you're the one who says Yay or nay. If they send you the MEPs and you decide you don't want to go open contract the recruiter now has to make up for it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by coryvismith44 View Post
    thank you for being so condescending and not really answering any of my questions. i hope the rest of the answers i get on this are better than yours!

How did you make out with a better answer than the one I gave you Bunky ?

Excuse me for not stroking you like your mama does youngster.
    I just gave it to you with the ShortVersion, no bells and whistles.
    My response was rather Terse I realize. But I wasnt Rude and Whining
    like you were in your reply.

You may well just be too thinskined for material to make a US Marine.

Perhaps , you would be better off in something else ?????

Quote Originally Posted by coryvismith44 View Post
    thank you for being so condescending and not really answering any of my questions. i hope the rest of the answers i get on this are better than yours!
    Quit the DEP. You don't have what it takes to be a Marine.

If you do decide to ship to boot camp, go open contract and here's why: When you are open contract, you stop thinking about your job and start thinking about what it is like to be a U.S. Marine.

I hope you prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    How about filling out your profile like you are supposed to please?

Which part of a SHRINKING job economy in the country.......AND DownSizing the Military...Dont you understand ???????????
    Slots are fewer than folks wanting them.......
    Means you have to be there Earlier,, OR Score Higher than the other APPLICANT.
    It isnt much of a question , if you do some basic thinking.

On another note ,,, Learn to us Punctuation . That is about one sorryassed post.
    Wow man, way to show a poolee how he will be treated in the Corps. A informative answer would have been appropriate. THEN, you criticize his punctuation while your entire post had grammatical and spelling mistakes through out (Hypocrite much?).

Here are a few pointers to you, read and heed prior to making YOURSELF look like a jack-ass:

1- Learn the proper use of capitalization- there are more than three instances where you mis-used it.
    2- Commas are meant to be used singular, not two or three in a row.
    3- Learn to spell.
    4- It's, sorry assed or sorry-assed.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
    Wow man, way to show a poolee how he will be treated in the Corps. A informative answer would have been appropriate. THEN, you criticize his punctuation while your entire post had grammatical and spelling mistakes through out (Hypocrite much?).

Here are a few pointers to you, read and heed prior to making YOURSELF look like a jack-ass:

1- Learn the proper use of capitalization- there are more than three instances where you mis-used it.
    2- Commas are meant to be used singular, not two or three in a row.
    3- Learn to spell.
    4- It's, sorry assed or sorry-assed.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Second - that first post of yours is one very long run-on sentence.
    How about using some proper sentence structure - capital letters at beginning of sentences, capitalize the letter I, punctuation marks where needed, and periods at end of sentences.
    Hey there tough one, must be boys with good ole M14, huh? You feel obligated to correct a poolee on those things but not a Marine? I guess you didn't learn fair and equal punishment in your lengthy time in the corps, amazing.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    another drill instructor, 2 posts of it now. oh my

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Richard N, your very first post. I'm shocked at the level of criticism.

And by the way the word "misused" is never hyphenated. LOL.
    "jackass" is never hyphonated.

How about "aye aye, Gunnery Sergeant"? I know that you learned that SNCOs are NEVER wrong.

The point of my comment was to show that there seems to be a level of severe hypocrisy in this forum; I have been "lurking" here for quite some time and it finally got too much for me. I had to say something, so I just created an account.

That is my exact intention for creating a profile. I am planning to contact the "MODS" to let them know this fact. There is no reason that any "old salt" can break the rules that they preach on a day to day basis here. What ever happened to leadership by example? These young poolees come here seeking advice, the internet is the "new" choice for seeking information, for lack of better words, this is the "online recruiter". However, there is absolutley no professionalism in focusing on the fact that the poolee "didn't read the rules" or "use the search function". Rather, these facts could be brought up prior to, or better, after providing the future of the Corps with a informaitonal answer.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Just what this chicken shiat outfit needs is straightening out!

I'm sure the MODS will be interested to know us old salts need squaring away and can look forward to your assistance. Sgt Lep will appreciate that (he has a tough job doing it all by himself and could use a good a/gunner like yourself). Thank you for gracing our website with your presents; how in the world did we ever survive without you? From this point forward, we will strive to be kinder/gentler to all the poor little poolees who can't spell, put together a complete sentence, and don't bother to read any of our site rules. Those are exactly the types we want joining our Corps. While you're at it, why don't you suggest they just do away with all the rules so the poolees won't have to worry about reading/breaking any of them. This website will be so much better now that you're here and the pooleess will finally get treated like they deserve...you da man

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 08-14-11 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Dumped his

Thanks for all the great answers and sorry for showing any disrespect, i was just a little disappointed i couldn't get straight answers. Also sorry for starting a sh** storm of arguing on this thread. I have an immense amount of respect for all of you and what you have done for this country. And to everyone who was telling me to quit now... just more motivation to prove myself and earn the title of Marine!

Thread Information