Just plain dumb..
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member

Just plain dumb..

What ever happened to common sense...??

A school bus driver on Long Island is fighting to regain his job after being fired last week for being a Good Samaritan, apparently against company policy.

George Daw claimed he was terminated because he helped three Nassau County police detectives during last Monday's hail and rain storm.

"I felt this was something anyone would do under the circumstances," said Daw, 58.

Daw was driving a mini-bus carrying a teenage passenger and a bus matron last Monday as golf ball-size hail and torrential rain pelted New Hyde Park. On Hillside Avenue, Daw came upon on a stalled unmarked police car carrying detectives, according to Detective Lt. Raymond Cote. The car had been filling with water.

"They're saying, you've got to help us, you've got to help us," said Daw. "You've got to get us to the third precinct. We're police officers."

Daw did just that, pushing through the flood waters to pick up the detectives and deliver them to their precinct.

"I felt they were in danger," explained Daw.

Daw's employer, Educational Bus Transport of Copiague, didn't agree.

After Daw filed a report about what happened, he was terminated from his job of nine months.

Company paperwork supplied by Daw showed he was fired in part because he violated policy prohibiting drivers from picking up unscheduled passengers.

"We have policies and procedures in place to ensure the safety of the children we transport," responded the bus company's vice-president, Tim Flood.

"When these policies and procedures are not followed, we will address them in an appropriate manner," Flood continued. "This particular employee was not terminated solely because of the pick-up of unscheduled passengers."

Flood would not elaborate further.

When asked if Daw's actions endangered his passengers, Detective Lt. Cote said,

"No."

"It's sad when we hear his good deed cost him his job," Cote added.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...273043.html?dr

So what are you implying?

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerace View Post
    He's just pointing out some more dumb **** lib policies.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    He's just pointing out some more dumb **** lib policies.

Now here is a chance for a union to make a difference. The police union should lean on the bus company to hire the guy back.

"This particular employee was not terminated solely because of the pick-up of unscheduled passengers."

Do to this one statment I would say they are trying to find something else to say he did or did not do to cause him to be fired. Having said that it is not correct what this company did in my eyes. I will go with just plan stupid on the part of this company.

Credits
    Savings
    Sign up and jump right in with a statement like that will really endear you to the crowd.

Who the **** are you??

That's the trouble with NY and all the other "right to work states". Employers can
    interpret their own policies any way they like and it's not wrongful termination.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sscjoe View Post
    That's the trouble with NY and all the other "right to work states". Employers can
    interpret their own policies any way they like and it's not wrongful termination.
    New York isn't a right to work state. This guy could have been hired as an at-will employee. Personally I think firing him was stupid as all get out.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Sign up and jump right in with a statement like that will really endear you to the crowd.

Who the **** are you??

Credits
    Savings
    All Right sweepea, hows about filling out your profile.
    you've been a member here for a year already, dont you
    think it is time to follow the rules ?

Looks to me that they are trying to find another BS excuse to fire him because the real reason wouldn't look good in the public eye and may tarnish the comapny. So yeah let's add some BS to it.

They've hired him back today, the cops jumped them and public pressure. Guy took his job back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post

Who the **** are you??

I'm just your average joe on the block, dude. Not trying to impress no one, just a simple question my friend.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm just your average joe on the block, dude. Not trying to impress no one, just a simple question my friend.

Empty profile

Who and what are you???

I thought I just answered that in my last post. You must be goin senile

Thread Information