Black Flag Days - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Flag Days

Let me clear up some stuff. First all physical training like organized pt, hikes, and other things of that nature take place mostly in the morning. It doesn't get black flag until about 10 on most days so most hikes and pt will be done already. When it does become black flag nonessential outside activities stop. That means sand pits shut down but not quarterdecks. Indoor drill practice like rifle manual other movements can happen. Only certain events are considered essential and will continue. Crucible can not be canceled same as rifle range, field training, and something else I can't remember off the top of my head.

I appreciate the info guys.

I think some of you got the wrong impression, Im not worried one bit about my son. My concern was that they would be limited and not do as much because of black flag days. I want him to get the best possible training (especially physical training) that he can. As so many have stated, they dont stop in Afghanistan because of the heat. He is going to be in infantry. If up to me I would work them regardless of the heat (just make sure they are properly hydrated).

Quote Originally Posted by rickrat View Post
    I think some of you got the wrong impression, Im not worried one bit about my son.
    That may be. Remember that we are just sitting here behind our computers looking at these questions in a vacuum and then drawing on our experience in an attempt to help you and others out. In your original question you ask, "How do they make them into Marines when they are having so many Black Flag Days? What will happen if everyday for the next month or longer is a Black Flag day? No physical training?"

So, while some of the answers may have been broader than the narrow question, I think the answers have been on point in an attempt to explain exactly how the flag system works, why they use it, what types of alternative physical training is utilized, and how those who run boot camp and have so for a few centuries now will ensure that each recruit receives the training that he/she needs to become a Marine.

But to be specific, "How do they make them into Marines when they are having so many Black Flag Days?" Through alternative training times and locations, and make-up days. When going through boot camp, we missed a day for whatever reason I do not remember, and it was made up.

"What will happen if everyday for the next month or longer is a Black Flag day?" That won't happen. Hypothetically, if it does, Marines are creative; they have been doing this for a few hundred years, and they will ensure all recruites receive the training they need to become Marines.

"No physical training?" I assure you, those recruits are not sitting in the barracks drinking soda and watching their favorite show. Physical training is only one aspect to boot camp. As one already said, they may simply change organized PT to the a.m. When I went to boot camp, I recall that it was hot as you know where. We went through two weeks of Santa Ana winds, and if you know what those are, you know it is HOT, it is dry, they make you irritable, and any and everything you touch zaps you. I do recall that our formation runs were in the morning. I recall being on the obstacle course before noon. And I recall that their is much more to boot camp than physical training. Classroom instruction is paramount.

Your son is in good hands; they know what they are doing; he will not be short-changed in any aspect of the training each recruit needs to become a Marine.

Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by rickrat View Post
    Thanks again for the info.
    You're welcome!

I think this one is wrapped up!

Black flag???????????????Spent over 2 years at 29 Palms 1966-68 with 5th 8inch sp's. I never seen a black flag of any kind. We would be doing firring on days when it would be 110 and above and inside thee truant of thee M-55's the temp. would be around 130. There was a war going on and also the middle east was at war. In 1967 when the 6 day war started we all thought thats whee we are going,

DO THEY STILL HAVE THE HEAT INDEX MACHINE AROUND. WHEN WE WERE AT CAMP TAMAZ P.I. IWAS RESPONSIBLE FOR PUTTING UP THE HEAT FLASGS EVERY MORNING, AT 6am YELLOW AND BY 10am IT WAS BLACK FLAG. THE HUMIDITY WAS THE KILLER NOT THE HEAT.

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

When you pull into somebodies driveway and the dogs won't come out from under the porch or even bark at a stranger - i'ts too f***ing hot - but some of still need to grind out a living

Thread Information