A Chinese Wishing to join the USMC
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Chinese Wishing to join the USMC

Hello everybody, I'm a Chinese student graduating from high school next year. Just before you start wondering "why on earth does this damn commie want to join us", please take the patience to allow me explain this dream of mine.
    During the first 15 years of my life, I have grown a negative boy. I used to hate every single thing around me: I hated the Chinese government for lying to its people, hated its officials for corruption which is almost an essensial factor in their lives, hated people around me who surrendered to the autocracy of the government. I hated the world.
    But after graduating from Junior High, I went on a one-year exchange program that sent me to Ogden, Utah in the States, and that was later to entirely change who I am.
    It would take another post of 1000+ words to explain the process, but when I was in the US, I was soon to pick up joy and hope. People helped me unconditionally to every detail in my life; my host family gave me great love that kept my heart warm throughout the whole year; and the most of all, I was deeply attracted by the democracy and liberty of this nation.
    During the year, I met with several marines, who were known, by people around them, to be fiece warriors, but also quality citizens and gentle friends. Their stories as well as characters earned my respect.
    When I was to research for a career decision on a career choices system, I scanned the screen for careers recommended for me: architect, engineer, drafter... Non of them awakened any emotion, until I saw the words: Infantry service. Something deep inside my heart bursted.
    It was then that I realized that I would like to be a marine, a US Marine, to make one of the best warriors on earth, to return the favor given to me by my families and friends in the US, and to protect the constitution of such a great nation, to safeguard its "liberty and justice for all".
    To make the world a better place.
    Now, I'm a senior in a high school in China, NO.1 student of the whole school, planning to go to the US for college. All my teachers hope to send me to Harvard, and see me make millions in the future. But something they don't know is that deep inside my heart, the dream to become a US Marine grows stronger and strong every second, way stronger than the desire to make money. I plan to try to enter a top university in the US next year, earn a four-year degress, and seek for chances for immigration. Once that is done, I'll enlist.
    I know it sounds strange for a Chinese to wish to serve the US, and I know that it might even make me sound like a traitor. But this is me. My body was born in China, but my soul, a soul that knows to love the world, that is always ready to help people, that is determined to protect and safeguard, and that wishes to make the world a better place, was born in the United States of America. I am willing to defend this nation with my life, at all costs.
    Anyway, thank you for you patience, and here come my questions:
    1. What is the age limit on foreigners to enlist in the Corps?
    2. I know that permanent residents cannot serve with a Recon MOS, but what about the Scout Sniper MOS?
    3. Most importantly, and a little personally, how might Marines feel about foriegn members? It is my dream to earn the trust of my future shipmates, but I just wonder how hard it may be.
    Thank you very much again, and Semper Fi.

Simon Zhou
    Determined, Focused, Devoted.

1. The age limit is no different for foreigners as far as I know.
    2. Can not factually say yes or no, but I would assume no given the job descriptions that I have read. Would probably have to wait until after gaining US citizenship.
    3. I would have no problem serving with a non-US citizen just as long as they showed loyalty to country (the US), Corps, unit, and their fellow Marines and were on the track to gain US citizenship (denouncing their current country's citizenship at the same time).

You cannot gain any clearance until you have citizenship. So Scout Sniper is a no-go...

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Navy, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

The U.S. government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Their web site is at http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

Credits
    Savings
    Commitment. Gotta like it !

Direction already given

As a side note
    One of the finest Officers I served under was a Japeneese man

He embodied mission first then "take care of your people"

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonZhou View Post

3. Most importantly, and a little personally, how might Marines feel about foriegn members? It is my dream to earn the trust of my future shipmates, but I just wonder how hard it may be.
    Thank you very much again, and Semper Fi.

Simon Zhou
    Determined, Focused, Devoted.
    The MarineCorps , isnt as Vanilla as you might immagine youngster.
    There was one R O Korea Marine in my CombatEngineer School/
    Two Canadians also in the same class on green cards.
    IT is not about where you are from. IT is however, about what you bring with you.

Good Luck Grasshopper, You wont know if you dont try.
    and if you're going to try, do your best or dont bother.

Thanks a lot for your replies, people. A lot of INFO and encouragement coming from you!

Another question, how do you edit your thread, please...? I found that I broke a couple of site rules but I could only edit my replies but not the thread....

Credits
    Savings
    Listen youngster.....
    I barely know how to type, Keep it low, and maybe nobody will find out....
    (Shhhhhhhhh)

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    Listen youngster.....
    I barely know how to type, Keep it low, and maybe nobody will find out....
    (Shhhhhhhhh)
    haha, thx for that reminder

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Your best bet would be to get in contact with the US embassy, in person if possible but by phone at least. They'll be able to give you the most up to date information about signing up. And if a student visa qualifies you to enlist. Honestly, if someone's paying for college, I'd finish that first and then think about it. Give yourself the most options.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxzero View Post
    Your best bet would be to get in contact with the US embassy, in person if possible but by phone at least. They'll be able to give you the most up to date information about signing up. And if a student visa qualifies you to enlist. Honestly, if someone's paying for college, I'd finish that first and then think about it. Give yourself the most options.
    Advice taken, thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    To answer your question about editing posts here----(Just so you know, the EDIT function on this site is not working right....if you wait just a short time, you cannot go back in and edit anything you posted. It has to be done rather quickly.)
    Er, sounds like the evidence of my violation will live forever lol.
    Thank you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonZhou View Post
    Another question, how do you edit your thread, please...? I found that I broke a couple of site rules but I could only edit my replies but not the thread....
    Zao shang hao....

I've been working on my Mandarin for the last couple of years but my neurons aren't the academic sponges they used to be.

The editing function has some quirks on occasion and has bitten us all on the ass at one time or another.

Carry on.....good luck on your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Wayne, if Simon doesn't mind the digression, how do you say "I would Like a Sam Adams beer?"
    In Mandarin.

I know you and I talk about ol Sam Adams quite a bit, one of our hobbies, apparently.
    Here you are: gei wo yi ping jiu (can I have a beer' referring to your first)
    Requesting another beer: zai lai yi ping jiu
    (awaiting possible refinement from OP)

Of course, one would probably be having a Tsingtao (which I like) in a Chinese establishment.

How about that....

Thread Information