A Chinese Wishing to join the USMC - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    That would make perfect sense, Wayne. LOL
    Pretty good on the language, too--
    Oh yea...I'm a wealth of common sense this early.
    The tough part about Mandarin is learning the pronunciations/inflections
    when speaking....inherently difficult for most.

Coffee....mud...java...cafe.

Hi and thanks for replying though I only came to see this reply one year later.. sorry for that.
    You are definitely great at Mandarin! well, better than most westners, at least I would say.
    And thanks for the "good luck"!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    That would make perfect sense, Wayne. LOL
    Pretty good on the language, too--

Well yeah Tsing Tao is absolutely great - having a good taste and mony efficiency. You could be surprised how much American beers we have in China, though. And they are truly very popular.

Hi Cousin. Perhaps I can lend a perspective as I am also Chinese, 1st generation Chinese American -- born in San Francisco and grew up in the Deep South (that's another story). My father died when I became a monster teenager. Without him as my anchor I was a castaway...until by sheer instinct I joined the Corps. There, I received the guidance, discipline that exposed me to the core values which I strive to live by even today. The saying "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" holds tremendous truth.

My entrance into the Corps in 1964 probably represented less than 1% -- if that, of all the recruits. For sure I was the first Chinese combat cameraman at the time. Was joining the right decision? For me, yes; for you I can't answer that. Only you can.

Joining the Marine Corps means much more than the privilege of wearing dress blues. It is much more than embracing and fighting for God and Country. You will be presented with the unique opportunity to define who you are, what you will become for the rest of your life. It is a life changing experience that you will be critically and often measured by those senior to you and your peers.

The bottom line, Simon, it's not who you are, but what you are to succeed in the Marine Corps. Today, Asians are well represented in the Corps as officers and enlisted. Good luck. PM me and I'll give you a link to my background if you wish to learn more.

Semper fi,

Quote Originally Posted by fl1946 View Post
    Hi Cousin. Perhaps I can lend a perspective as I am also Chinese, 1st generation Chinese American -- born in San Francisco and grew up in the Deep South (that's another story). My father died when I became a monster teenager. Without him as my anchor I was a castaway...until by sheer instinct I joined the Corps. There, I received the guidance, discipline that exposed me to the core values which I strive to live by even today. The saying "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" holds tremendous truth.

My entrance into the Corps in 1964 probably represented less than 1% -- if that, of all the recruits. For sure I was the first Chinese combat cameraman at the time. Was joining the right decision? For me, yes; for you I can't answer that. Only you can.

Joining the Marine Corps means much more than the privilege of wearing dress blues. It is much more than embracing and fighting for God and Country. You will be presented with the unique opportunity to define who you are, what you will become for the rest of your life. It is a life changing experience that you will be critically and often measured by those senior to you and your peers.

The bottom line, Simon, it's not who you are, but what you are to succeed in the Marine Corps. Today, Asians are well represented in the Corps as officers and enlisted. Good luck. PM me and I'll give you a link to my background if you wish to learn more.

Semper fi,
    fl1946, thank you so much for such much-needed first-hand experience. What you're telling me is exactly one of the main reasons why I want to sign up - to be trained to become a quality citizen and safeguard the world under the banner of God and Country.
    I am strongly determined that joining the Corps will be one of the best choices that I can ever come to make in my entire life. I know what resistance is ahead of me, but I won't quit.

And to those of you who are still interested in getting some updates from me, I graduated this year from a Chinese High School. But obviously I can't sign up as a Chinese resident, so I am going to attend University of Wisconsin - Madison this fall(I actually wanted to go to, and was admitted by, Duke University, only to find that the tuition was absolutely crazy...). I plan to obtain my bachelor's degree in three years, and then spend one year in pursuit of my master's degree(without it it's going to be very hard to obtain residency in the US).
    Afterwards, as I plan, I will have to find a cilvilian job first and then wait for my Green Card to be issued, which usually takes 3~5 years. As soon as I get it I will sign up, no doubt.

During the past year my determination has none but become stronger. My dream of becoming a Marine has taken over every part of my life. I now do 45 minutes of freeweight training plus a 3-miles run almost every day because I wish to serve with a MOS 03XX. A lot of my friends in China don't understand why I'd sign up in the States, but a few closest friends of mine have given me strong support. And that along with the encouragement I got from you all is all I need. There is still a long way ahead of me, and many obstacles still await. But I just know that one day I will stand under the flags of America and of the Corps, sworn and well-trained to defend them proudly against all enemies.

Since you are going to school here in U.S., see if the school has an ROTC program. This will give you a chance to experience the military. If you are in Navy ROTC, (not sure if Marine Corps OCS accepts Army ROTC), sign up for the Marine Corps PLC (Platoon Leader) program where you'll spend your summers at officer training in Quantico, Viriginia. Corps would even pay you.

Semper Fi,
    Your Elder Uncle

Belay my last message. First requirement to enter ROTC...U.S. Citizenship. Sorry for posting incorrect info.

Since you are going to school here in U.S., see if the school has an ROTC program. This will give you a chance to experience the military. If you are in Navy ROTC, (not sure if Marine Corps OCS accepts Army ROTC), sign up for the Marine Corps PLC (Platoon Leader) program where you'll spend your summers at officer training in Quantico, Viriginia. Corps would even pay you.

Semper Fi,
    Your Elder Uncle
    Hi Uncle,
    Thanks for the advice, though I'd even like to pay THEM if they'd let me into the NROTC - I think it's limited to US Citizens only.

Belay my last message. First requirement to enter ROTC...U.S. Citizenship. Sorry for posting incorrect info.
    Well no problem lol. I actually checked on that about a year ago when preparing my college application materials. It surely is a pity though.

Thread Information