Battle in Phillipines? (1980's?) - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The "M" everyone seems to be talking about is probably for MINDANAO. It is the Islamist/Christian island where conflict between religions have been going on for centuries. Mindoro is the island just south of LUZON island. Nothing in as far as Muslims on that island. Puerto Galera is the resort most noted on Mindoro. Mindanao is a continual war zone. Filipino military is constantly patrolling the island, many times being ambushed. Many Filipinos from all over Philippines go to Mindanao on military duty and never return. U.S. conducts exercises there all the time. I'd say its a great place to get your feet wet if you're looking for combat action.

Quote Originally Posted by VistaKay View Post
    I know Marines that were deployed to places the United States has never openly admitted to being...that is kind of the nature of covert military action. I do know Marines that spoke of being in the Philippines in the 1980's. As others have said, some Vets simply choose to not to discuss what they were involved in, went through. I respect that. Most of us can't even imagine what some went through-
    After Pinatubo blew up in Philippines, messed up Clark AFB, we pulled out. Government wouldn't clean up and we didn't think it worth it to remove all ashes and everything. World was changing, missions were changing, therefore, we pulled out of Philippines. I am familiar with Philippines, I go there often, wife comes from Philippines and her family is all there in Quezon City. We go to Clark for shopping sometimes. You can tell it was once a military base. Just like all U.S. bases. There are some retirees living about Angeles City and they have a great American Legion/VFW there.
    Yes, there was military there in the 1980's but if they got involved in any kind of conflict, it was mostly in the bars of Subic Bay (Navy base) and where there were Navy bases, there are usually Marines.
    They have on going exercises in Mindanao to help out Filipino Army fighting Muslim extremist in that southern part of the Philippines. Support for training and giving aid. It's possible there were some firefights here and there, probably mostly later on during Global war on Terrorism. Mostly after 9/11 when going after Abu Sayif extremist.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    977 Mindoro Crash
    On October 21, 1977 a CH-53 crashed on the Philippine island of Mindoro, killing 24 of the 37 onboard. Our battalion, BLT 3/9 had just finished Operation Fortress Lightning and we were being transported by helos back to Subic Bay, where we would later board the ships and head back to Okinawa. This CH-53, with it’s crew of four was carrying 31 Marines and two Navy Corpsmen with all of their gear. It also had a water bull hooked to the lift under it. If my knowledge and memory serves me correctly, there was some type of problem with the tail rotor which caused it to go into a spin shortly after take off. It struck the side of a mountain, rolling down the mountain and eventually bursting into flames. I believe, or at least was always told that all of the 13 survivors were either thrown out during the spin or fell out as it rolled down the mountain. I do know that at least a couple of them were found in tree tops.

A few of these guys went through ITS in Camp Pendleton with me and we all went as a group to Okinawa in 1976 for a one year assignment with 3/9. At the time of this crash, we had less than 2 months until we returned to the states.

Unfortunately, news of this helicopter crash was then, and remains today overshadowed by the news of a plane crash in Mississippi a couple of hours earlier that killed members of the band Lynard Skynard.

Rest in Peace, Brothers. You are not forgotten.

• Capt. J. L. Crapse
    • Capt. G. M. Gebhardt
    • Sgt. D. G. Smith
    • Sgt. C. W. Anderson
    • Sgt. W. E. Casey
    • Cpl. O. Hallam
    • Cpl. R. N. Bennett
    • Cpl. L. H. Ernsberger Jr.
    • LCpl. F. R. Aguirre
    • LCpl. A. R. Baker
    • LCpl. A. R. Dicag
    • LCpl. A. Suda Jr.
    • LCpl. S. R. Bowman
    • LCpl. M. L. Fitzpatrick
    • LCpl. H. J. Layne
    • LCpl. M. L. Quiane
    • LCpl. J. L. West
    • PFC J. P. Bauer
    • PFC K. M. Brinkley
    • PFC B. I. Jones
    • PFC M. A. Lafferre
    • PFC K. K. Schwartz
    • PFC D. A. Wright
    • HA S. R. Dolan (USN)

I was in Pohan Korea in 1989 having a beer in my room on my ship, (the MV William R. Button), I shared with a Staff Sgt while downloading equipment with the MPS program when he told me about a helicopter crash that killed a lot of Marines. In fact, here is the article from a New York Times article.

2 Marines Are Killed in Crash Of U.S. Helicopter in South Korea

By DAVID E. SANGER, Special to the New York Times
    Published: March 20, 1989

A United States Marine Corps helicopter participating in a major joint military exercise in South Korea crashed this morning, killing 22 marines and injuring 15, American officials said today.
    The crash took place a little before 7 A.M. in a mountainous region 35 miles south of Pohang, a steel-producing city on the southeastern coast.
    A spokesman for United States forces in Seoul, the South Korean capital, said that the cause of the crash was not yet known, but that there was no immediate evidence of sabotage or an attack on the CH-53D Sea Stallion helicopter.
    A week ago, North Korea had protested the start of the annual exercises, code-named Team Spirit. But the site of the crash was far from the border with the Communist North.

If you go to this web site called VT or Virtual Tourist, I have posted a lot of pictures. This particular page has a picture I took of a FILIPINO MARINE walking just outside their base in Manila called FORT BONIFACIO. This particular fort suffered some ammo explosion recently. It's on Youtube. It was supposedly under investigation. Carelessness? Sabotage?

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/c5c38/

So other true BATTLE IN THE PHILIPPINES

THRILLA IN MANILA. I actually saw the Aerena in Quezon City (Years later of course. Filipinos still talk about that one.)

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Not a "Battle" in the PI, it was an accident...!!!

U$',:Nrt:yy,.
    Ma1~~§iarl
    ships .eollide
    By JOVITO G. TAMAYO
    :','- .... ~~"" '. ~.
    .A commercial ship and
    a .;D.8·Navy' ship collided
    yesterday, .morning off
    the breakwater of South
    Harbor, Portof Manila.
    No ',' 'casual.ty . was
    ; reported." ': . '
    A'i'eportto the Philippine
    Por ts Authority
    . said the • rnv Promex
    Amari; a Malaysian-flag
    vessel .und~r the local
    agency of AJ)R Shipping;
    collided with the 32,903-
    ton. USS . 1st Lt. Jack
    Lummus about 30 kilometers
    . off. the South
    Harbor at·· 8:49 a.m ..
    Bothwessels sustained
    he~vy,(:lii"m.~gewhile enteringthe
    harbor.
    The Jnck Lummus, on
    (.~utiZ: flipage 8. col. 8)
    . ,.., ~ 1\,.\r. ~'TV U.:~•.l;'~" ~
    I(C()n~:ii from I~tig~")!'J I ';
    a .goodwill visit :id navigating 'in Manila
    Manila from' Guam, . Ba:y.1 '.'.
    had a three-meter \ Last. August,' the
    long heavy dent-at its . mv Guardia Luduva,
    portside; while the a ·guropean . vessel,
    Prornex Aman was hit collided: with the. mv
    on its starboard' bow. Pe~ro Queen,' a.local
    PortAuthcnitles tanker which 'spilled.
    were a wai t ing-the abbut 7,000 .liifi-rel$of'
    two captains' marine ,oi(i-hbay:.causing· a.'
    .protests :before' c.on. -i,:' ·m~ssiveqi1'.P911~~f9~~:.·':'
    du~ting. inye's~iga; . ..Th ;·.lrl~id~fit::!,':~as':· tl°t· t'mo~th anoth- . fdl1o~ed'bY .th~sink •..•
    as . :" . I .,' " . d ingof passenger. ferry ..
    ~r :collision occurre: mv Cebu.citYofWtl~:
    In the same:area. ." ... ..
    hi h flai red the' mv ham. Lines last P:-, w IC .. guren tr cember : after. !. It .
    Tra.de Ho".pe,' ah;' l'co.n-1 sma.s. "he' d . ·th·. S· .- Wl . lnga.- . tamer ship, WIt oca· . hi . Ko't tan. ker • mt P. etro t1.:.I e1- Spore"an ISff ipC'mv i a ·b
    en owne d b:y th c Ph:il ~ .: I' oIr' ia I...].0':;' orregiu.ior . I.p. plne N'atitnna1 0"11 s ann. .
    Co. (PNOC). '. Over 250 passen-
    Authorities said gel'S drowned when
    the latest collision the mv Cebu City
    was fourth in six went down in Manila
    months which in-Bay between'·˘orregi.
    volved foreign vessels dor~ndCavlte.t1)J,
    ... ~.•..... _ ......•·•_.u <, .:~,;.: ':;:;;;'~;'.:.!~~~.<:~:;.~:'>4'~":'rl". .

Sorry for above article I tried copying and pasting on my scanned documents I have saved. This is pertaining to our vessel that was hit in Manila Bay in 1995

Thread Information