Tattoo's?
Create Post

Thread: Tattoo's?

Tattoo's?

Okay so Me & My Husband want to get Tattoo's together, & we were just wondering what the procedure is for him getting one? like does he have to get permission? if not does someone have to document it? any other info would be great! Thank you in advance!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marinewife621 View Post
    Okay so Me & My Husband want to get Tattoo's together, & we were just wondering what the procedure is for him getting one? like does he have to get permission? if not does someone have to document it? any other info would be great! Thank you in advance!
    He should go discuss this with his chain-of-command. He should have already been instructed on what is acceptable and what isn't.

Credits
    Savings
    If both of you have already made the decision to PERMENTLY mark yourselves

Zulu gave you the formula
    I would anticipate his COC trying to talk him out of this action

MY GOD WHY DONT YOU WAIT UNTIL HE GETS OUT. marines are known and famous for disaplin and holding off would be good disaplin because marines dont get tattoos until they get out, so if its your idea have some consideration for your husbands career and wait until he gets out like everyone does

Credits
    Savings
    Just get em, I have tons of Tattoo's, just make sure they are within regs and its fine, if its below the sleeve of the shirt or the edge of the pt shorts you have to be able to cover it with your hand and/or 4" circle.

If you just have to get one, at least put it where it can be covered up like up high on a shoulder or your butt. I don't care for Marines who want to look like rappers or gangstas. Stay in the hood if you wanna be a playa. Don't force me to listen to your cellphone conversation in a public place or look at your body art...I'm not impressed. Show some class. I support the USMC's stricter policy on tattoos.

I'm not a fan of getting names on your body, unless it's "USMC" or some such. And yes I've got 2 tats, both of which I got while 'in'.

As someone else suggested, if you get them, get them someplace that can be covered with a t-shirt.

Otherwise, knock yourselves out, I don't see an issue with it, just be smart about it.

Well i did all my time in the USMC without getting a tat...I think a wedding ring will do just fine...but if you must...tatt up remember your child hood...when you loved big bird off seaseme street...be glad you parents gave you water mark tats...as time changes so will your decsions... Natalac Out..

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    He can't get anything on his hands or about the collarbone. If it's visible in uniform, it can't be bigger then his hand fully extended. And he can't get the wedding band tattoo anymore I believe, not too sure about that. I'm not gonna tell you not to get it, I don't really care that much, just make sure it's something you're both alright with.

Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    MY GOD WHY DONT YOU WAIT UNTIL HE GETS OUT. marines are known and famous for disaplin and holding off would be good disaplin because marines dont get tattoos until they get out, so if its your idea have some consideration for your husbands career and wait until he gets out like everyone does
    actually, i don't think i've seen a marine yet, without one, and actually it is a mutual decision.

Quote Originally Posted by FaDeD View Post
    Just get em, I have tons of Tattoo's, just make sure they are within regs and its fine, if its below the sleeve of the shirt or the edge of the pt shorts you have to be able to cover it with your hand and/or 4" circle.
    Thank you!
    he wants it on his chest, not huge or anythin. i am getting "Semper" on my wrist & he is getting "fidelis" on his chest. not real sure why everyones making a big deal about it.

Thanks for your help guy's, although i'm not quite sure why everyone is haveing such a problem with this. we are not getting each other's names, we are getting a USMC related tat. I am getting "Semper" on my wrist, & he is getting "Fidelis" on his Chest. Just wanted to know if he needed it documented after he got it. A wedding band is fine with us, and we are not doing it to be able to say we belong to each other, we're doing it becouse it will be our first tatto, and we want to do it together, bc we both want a couple of other things, so we wanted our first to mean somthing to the both of us without doing the names. Anyway's thank you so much for y'alls help!!!

I take it from your profile picture that you and your husband are new to the Marine Corps. The reason you are Getting mixed feedback is two fold. First the current command climate regarding tattoos in the Marine Corps us not a great one. The top staff believe that the image of the Corps could be degraded by the new popularity of sleeves and "excessive" (not going to define as it doesn't bother me) visible tattoos. It is just becoing an issue requiring documentation and reporting. Also, several mentioned about the Chain of Command, the Corps is it's own beast. Only here is your "boss" so involved in every aspect of the "employee's" life. And lastly, this forum. These Marines typically receive some pretty ridiculous questions regarding tattoos. They see all the potential poolees who get disqualified due to tattoos on this site. So I am sure you can see now why you get this mix of responses.

The plan you guys have doesnt sound too bad. I would say the majority of Marines have tattoos. We just have to be smart about it in today's day and age of documentation and image. Also, you didn't mention the specifics about where your husband would be getting his tattoo (AKA covered) until several posts later, again why you received some of the responses you did.

If in fact you are new to the Marine family, welcome. You have a very tough but fulfilling four years (at least) ahead of you. Good luck.

Your minds are made up; you are going to do what you're going to do regardless so knock yourselves out and good luck with it.

When you ask a question or for advice on this forum you can't always expect to get the answers you're looking for or like. That's life in the big city. Nothing wrong with asking though.

Good luck to both of you.

Thread Information