Active or Reserve really need help
Create Post

Active or Reserve really need help

Here is my problem my wife and i are seperated and she will not sighn the divorce papers. I have been trying to get into the Marines since FEB. I qualify for a RECON contract and that what I really want. Im already on an age wavier im 29 and if she dont sighn the papers it puts me at 3 dependents and my only choice if i want to go right now is reserves and the unit here is combat engineer not really sure ill be happy with that but its a way in for now. Question is how hard is it to go active once the divorce is over with? I really dont want to burn to much time sitting in a reserve unit unitl i can go active or should i just wait until its over then go?

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy0095 View Post
    Here is my problem my wife and i are seperated and she will not sighn the divorce papers. I have been trying to get into the Marines since FEB. I qualify for a RECON contract and that what I really want. Im already on an age wavier im 29 and if she dont sighn the papers it puts me at 3 dependents and my only choice if i want to go right now is reserves and the unit here is combat engineer not really sure ill be happy with that but its a way in for now. Question is how hard is it to go active once the divorce is over with? I really dont want to burn to much time sitting in a reserve unit unitl i can go active or should i just wait until its over then go?
    USUALLY ON THIS SITE, NO PROFILE = NO ANSWERS.

ok i just made my profile hopefully that helps sorry didnt know. just in the need for some fast advice.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OK, why won't she sign divorce papers? What do you mean exactly by that?

If you are just trying to dump her to cut down the number of dependents you have, I rather don't blame her for being reticent about the whole mess.

we havent been "together" since the middle of march she lost custody of her son befor we got married and i didnt know about it. we only dated for 3 weeks befor we got married horibel mistake i know. anyway she is using me to say she is married and i support her which i do not since we have been seperated. so it will look better on her in court to try and get her son back. so dont know what to do if i force the divorce through then its goin to take another 6 months or like i said my only other option is the reserves and do a lat move to active and switch my mos to either 0321 or 0311 to try for scout sniper.

Yeah, kind of hard to give any thoughts without more detail. My first reaction was you need to see a divorce attorney. They call them family law attorneys nowadays - kind of an oxymoron.

Each state has different laws. In my state, if a person files for divorce and if the other party does not respond in any way, i.e., sign the divorce papers, it goes by way of default.

In other words, a person cannot stop a divorce from taking place by refusing to sign.

An attorney can help you with this or maybe your court has a self-help office and can assist.

we havent been "together" since the middle of march she lost custody of her son befor we got married and i didnt know about it. we only dated for 3 weeks befor we got married horibel mistake i know. anyway she is using me to say she is married and i support her which i do not since we have been seperated. so it will look better on her in court to try and get her son back. so dont know what to do if i force the divorce through then its goin to take another 6 months or like i said my only other option is the reserves and do a lat move to active and switch my mos to either 0321 or 0311 to try for scout sniper.
    So, yeah, looks like you have received some advice already and have been given some options. You may not like those options, but you may have no choice but to choose what works best for you under the circumstances.

Another option that is not granted very often is an annulment. I am not an attorney and cannot give advice, but I know from experience that if there is fraud involved in the marriage, such as you not knowing she had a child, an annulment could be granted.

It's challenging to go active, but can be done. My suggestion to you is reserves simply because a divorce could be long and drawn out and a lot can change with your life circumstances if you decide to wait. Do it now and at least get in. If you were 19, I would advise you differently.

Thread Information