A few questions about Okinawa
Create Post

A few questions about Okinawa

Good afternoon everyone.
    I am hoping to be stationed at Okinawa, and have a few questions about life there. I have heard some cool things about Okinawa, as well as some potentially negative things. The problem with the information that I have already gathered is that it comes from a very select group because I don't know many Marines yet, so I figured what better place to ask then here.

How does being in the field as an infantry Marine compare to stateside bases?

How does libo compare to stateside bases?
    I've heard that they are very strict there because of trying to keep a good Japanese opinion of Marines, but what specificaly does this mean?

What is there to do off base?
    I'm thinking outdoor activities. Heard about some awesome scuba diving and such but what else is out there?

And last, but probably most importantly...what are my chances of acturaly being stationed there if I ask to be stationed overseas durring SOI as opposed to west or east coast? I don't hear about many other places you can be stationed overseas but I'm sure they're out there right?

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwork703 View Post
    Good afternoon everyone.
    I am hoping to be stationed at Okinawa, and have a few questions about life there. I have heard some cool things about Okinawa, as well as some potentially negative things. The problem with the information that I have already gathered is that it comes from a very select group because I don't know many Marines yet, so I figured what better place to ask then here.

How does being in the field as an infantry Marine compare to stateside bases? WASN'T IN THE INFANTRY.

How does libo compare to stateside bases? DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. ABOUT ANYTHING YOU WANT TO DO STATESIDE YOU CAN DO ON OKINAWA, EXCEPT WINTER SPORTS. WHEN I WAS THERE I POWERLIFTED, WATERSKIED, WENT TO BEACHES, TRAVELED TO PHILIPINES AND IWAKUNI, PLAYED THE PART OF A TOURIST AND TOURED THE ISLAND, SHOPPED AND BOUGHT A LOT OF JAPANESE THINGS, PLUS STUFF AT PX, PLAYED SPORTS.

I've heard that they are very strict there because of trying to keep a good Japanese opinion of Marines, but what specificaly does this mean? IT MEANS KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN. DON'T BE STUPID AND GO OUT SH!+FACED CAUSE YOU DO NOT JUST REPRESENT YOURSELF, THE MARINE CORPS, BUT UNITED STATES. I DRANK BEFORE GOING ON OKINAWA AND QUIT ON ARRIVAL SO I DIDN'T HAVE THAT ISSUE. BUT I HAD A STUPID SGT WHO GOT DRUNK, RAN A RED LIGHT AND SMACKED A LOCAL. SHE THEN DID A HIT AND RUN.

What is there to do off base? ANSWERED THAT ABOVE. GOOD FISHING, TOO.

I'm thinking outdoor activities. Heard about some awesome scuba diving and such but what else is out there? ROCK CLIMBING, SHELL COLLECTING, GOOD FOOD TO EAT...

And last, but probably most importantly...what are my chances of acturaly being stationed there if I ask to be stationed overseas durring SOI as opposed to west or east coast? DEPENDS ON YOUR MOS. WHEN I WAS IN, WE FILLED OUT A "DREAM SHEET" OF WHERE YOU WANTED TO GO. IT DIDN'T MEAN MUCH, BUT I FOUND IF YOU DIDN'T SCREW UP, YOU WERE MORE LIKELY TO GET WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. I ELECTED WEST COAST AND WENT TO EL TORO. YEARS LATER I VOLUNTEERED FOR OKINAWA TO AVOID THE EAST COAST AND THAT'S WHERE I WENT. I don't hear about many other places you can be stationed overseas but I'm sure they're out there right? RIGHT. ALL OVER THE WORLD, DEPENDING ON YOUR MOS.

Thanks for your time.
    Go to the forum link and search Okinawa. Many questions of this nature have been answered recently. In fact, some of the exact questions you ask. I'll put a few answers above after your questions. Answers are capped.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Go gather a few bucks and meet the "Koe" sisters.

Watch out for habu snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Dog View Post
    Don't forget those massive banana spiders!
    banana show?

Thanks for all the great info MOS4429.

And Lava Dog, the jungle warefare course is exactly the kind of thing that I would love to be able to experience. I'm just worried about putting overseas on my wishlist and getting stationed somewhere other than Oki. Well I guess all I can do is make the best out of whatever happens.

And Lava Dog, the jungle warefare course is exactly the kind of thing that I would love to be able to experience. I'm just worried about putting overseas on my wishlist and getting stationed somewhere other than Oki. Well I guess all I can do is make the best out of whatever happens.
    If you pick overseas and you're going in (active) grunt, there's only 2 possible places. Okinawa and Guam, other than that the other place is Iwakuni, but that's an air station.

Quote Originally Posted by Lossofwords View Post
    If you pick overseas and you're going in (active) grunt, there's only 2 possible places. Okinawa and Guam, other than that the other place is Iwakuni, but that's an air station.

Gotcha. Looks like I've got some more research to do. Anything to keep my busy for this last 20 days...I'm getting antsy.

Remember, you will go where the Marine Corps needs you, or more specifically, needs warm, breathing bodies.

Out of initial training, they were kind and they gave us three choices: East, West, or Over there.

Not all 03xx go to Okinawa on the "over there" option. There are other places, too, like right now I think we may have a few Marines in the middle east, if you know what I mean. You can also be 03xx and not be assigned to an infantry unit. You might go to 8th & I, Washington, DC, embassy duty in multiple places around the world.

Gotcha. I'm getting antsy.
    Yeah, use your "antsy" nerves for you. Don't put the cart before the horse, though. You got a ways to go before you go to your first duty assignment in the real world of Marines.

Focus on what is before you: Boot camp. One step at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Remember, you will go where the Marine Corps needs you, or more specifically, needs warm, breathing bodies.

Out of initial training, they were kind and they gave us three choices: East, West, or Over there.

Not all 03xx go to Okinawa on the "over there" option. There are other places, too, like right now I think we may have a few Marines in the middle east, if you know what I mean. You can also be 03xx and not be assigned to an infantry unit. You might go to 8th & I, Washington, DC, embassy duty in multiple places around the world.
    I am fully aware of the first statement, and I'm ready to do my job wherever they put me.

Is there a chance of being thrown right into the Middle East right out of SOI if I do try for the "over there" option? `

Is there a chance of being thrown right into the Middle East right out of SOI if I do try for the "over there" option? `
    The only way that this is possible is if you are going to a unit that is heading over there. However, I do believe there was something saying that you have to be in your unit for 7 months before they can send you into combat. That way they aren't sending someone right out of SOI/ITB, into combat without unit training. Don't quote me on that. I do know that they can't send you straight there if you pick "overseas."

No. You're going to go to a unit that's needing Marines for a work-up to go over, at best. You are not going to raise your hand at SOI and be shipped off to hunt Hadji. Over there option,, haha, I'm sure it happens, but not very often.

Good luck

Gotcha. Thanks what I figured. Thanks for the info everyone.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    This is in case you do wind up at Okinwana.

I was at Camp Hansen/31st MEU and found Okinawa a lot of fun.

Here is a few points...

-Get used to the humidity. It gets old real fast and I would rather go back to Iraq in 130 degree weather than Okinawa. Your performance will suffer and expect a slower run time in the 3 mile. Just PT hard and you will become a stud.

-EXPLORE. A lot of Marines will just sit in the barracks and drink. They never actually experience the island and get out of their comfort zone. Go snorkeling, experience new places or historical landmarks....just force yourself to do different things. No one ever comes back from a deployment/foreign port and says "Man, I wish that I stayed on ship longer" or "Too bad I didn't spend more time drinking in the barracks." Sometimes it's difficult to get out of your comfort zone but down the road you're going to cherish those memories.

-Definitely check out the WW2 tours and the huge aquarium (forget the name...it has a movie theater sized tank with a bunch of whale sharks).

-If you can, get scuba certified. It's much cheaper on Oki and there is tons of places to go scuba/snorkeling.

Thread Information