Poolee Drug Testing
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poolee Drug Testing

Recently swore in to the Marine Corps and just waiting to ship out, but have a major problem that I've got to get through. Although I passed the drug test at MEPS, I kind of slipped up one time... I know that that's unnaceptable and that part of of my life needs to be behind me, and it is, but im still deathly worried about this mistake becoming a problem. Will I be tested as a poolee before going to MEPS for the boot camp checkup?

Last edited by Yonkers; 01-21-12 at 06:39 AM.

Not sure about being tested at a boot camp check up. But when i left for boot camp we did get **** tested within the first week; also you get tested day one when you check in to SOI or MCT. My advise pray to the gods that you dont get tested. If you are your career will be over before it started. Show some friggin will power and discipline and don't do drugs. I have seen many a good Marine's career cut short because of drugs. Zero tolerance policy is zero tolerance.

You should easily be able to get a waiver for this.

Quote Originally Posted by 01USMC0481 View Post
    Not sure about being tested at a boot camp check up. But when i left for boot camp we did get **** tested within the first week; also you get tested day one when you check in to SOI or MCT. My advise pray to the gods that you dont get tested. If you are your career will be over before it started. Show some friggin will power and discipline and don't do drugs. I have seen many a good Marine's career cut short because of drugs. Zero tolerance policy is zero tolerance.
    I was talking more in terms of a poolee getting tested BEFORE the MEPS checkup, like at a poolee meeting. I will be fine by the MEPS check up. Should I be alright?

Facet, your profile says you ship tomorrow. Are you still set to leave then?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Facet09 View Post
    I was talking more in terms of a poolee getting tested BEFORE the MEPS checkup, like at a poolee meeting. I will be fine by the MEPS check up. Should I be alright?

I think you should go visit your recruiter, confess your sin, and ask to be removed from DEP as no longer worthy to be a Marine.

Or, if you'd like, I can do that for you.

You don't get tested at poolee functions. Although you should be, how hard is it to say to a "friend" nah man I am headed to the Corps no time for that. You will get tested at the MRCD and if you leave tomorrow you will be back home really soon. I'm not claiming to be the best poolee in the world. I have had my issues with Marijuana myself, but since i decided to enlist nothing in my power will stand in the way. You need to adopt like traits poolee.

What drug was it and when did you use it?

You're an idiot. I'm not getting in your ass that deep for smoking a joint while in DEP. But who the hell comes on a site like this, makes a post like they did, and has their freagin' recruiters name and contact information all over their profile!?

If you've got several months until your ship date you'll be all right as most drugs only stay in your system for around a month MAX. You shouldn't get drug tests at poolee meetings so just stay focused and keep on the straight and narrow and you should be okay. Good luck young man.

Well...I guess you're not going to answer my question, Facet09!!!!

If you come on here with a question, sometimes more information is needed to answer, but I understand why you might now be hesitant to do so, too.

Different drugs stay in your system for different amounts of time. The longest is marijuana, which stores in fat and you can pop positive up to 30 days after use.

I was in the Marine Corps when there was no drug testing, and then they started testing for hard drugs like amphetamines, heroin, LSD, and in about 81 or 82 were able to start testing for marijuana.

I knew several Marines that would be considered good Marines but they liked to use drugs recreationally. To do so was just plain stupid. It is like rolling the dice. One of my best NCO's got promoted to Sgt, and one month later popped positive and was busted back. Retarded! When I was in college, one of the Marines who was also in college kept using marijuana, felt he could get away with it, but eventually popped positive. He got a long-haired civilian to testify before the CO during his office hours and lie for him that he put it in brownies. He got off, and that ****ed me off! I reported a court-martial at MCRD, and a D.I. was being tried for popping positive. He was found guilty, busted, and removed from the field. He cried his head off afterwards. Sad, sad case.

Facet09, there is no place for drug useage in your life now that you have taken an oath. If you are not strong enough and succumb to peer pressure, get away from those peers. You may argue they are your friends. Bull! No friend will knowingly offer another person a drug that could destroy their career before they have started.

You say you slipped up! Bull! That is an excuse to not own up to your screw up. When you used that drug, nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to take it, right? You knowingly and volitionally used, and now you are squirming and hoping you do not have to **** in the container and pop positive.

The issue is not do they test at MEPS. The issue is you. If you are so weak that you use before you have shipped, when you finish boot camp, you will succumb to that weakness, use again, and be busted.

Man up and quit. Seek help if you cannot do it yourself. The fact that you could not say no indicates an addiction. You say no, I am not addicted. Then why did you use? You want to know how many times I heard people make the excuse, "I slipped up." It is not a slip up.

If you make it through this period without popping positive, learn from it, get strong, and stay far, far away from drugs. BTW...alcohol is a drug.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Man up and quit. Seek help if you cannot do it yourself. The fact that you could not say no indicates an addiction. You say no, I am not addicted. Then why did you use? You want to know how many times I heard people make the excuse, "I slipped up." It is not a slip up.
    He made a mistake dude! Lighten up please. I know you're trying to give the kid advice but it comes off as very crass and abrasive. If he can keep his sh!t together he'll be fine. I was in the same boat as he is and it worked out just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    He made a mistake dude! Lighten up please. I know you're trying to give the kid advice but it comes off as very crass and abrasive. If he can keep his sh!t together he'll be fine. I was in the same boat as he is and it worked out just fine for me.
    Yeah, you're right, raw words on a blog can be crass, abrasive. If he was to come speak to me, though, I'd tell him the same thing face to face.

In the late 70s and early 80s there was a bit more understanding for the mistakes people made in this area. Toward the mid 80s and late 80s I saw that tolerance becoming less and less.

I would have to defer to Marines of the day now, but I would venture to say that there is no tolerance at all and from what I am hearing about it becoming harder and harder to get in, I would imagine a positive drug test would send a poolee right out the door.

I understand what you are saying, and he came on here with a question that is geared toward not wanting to be caught. We know, of course, if the "mistake" is repeated, eventually he will be caught, burned, and thrown out to lunch. That is much more crass and abrasive.

So, yeah, I guess I could sugar coat it a bit. The way I see it, right or wrong, if I call him out, get in his face, and it is enough to keep him from using again, then his hurt feelings is a small price to pay.

Plenty of young people screw up. What is required is they REALIZE they screwed up and fix the issue. The screaming and yelling accomplishes nothing more then to make them feel worse then they already do.

Leave the crap alone.... keep your eyes on the goal and remember.... you want to be a Marine...and the Marines don't need you if you don't care.

Gentleman,

The policy regarding drug use in the Marine Corps is zero tolerance. Plain and simple. Although not a Marine, this young man is under contract with the United States Marine Corps. If as a poolee (with the one goal of becoming a Marine) can not show a little courage and put down the pipe, then there is no room for him in this Marine Corps. The Marine Corps is soon to be cutting down on it's numbers, think about it this way: are you willing to give up your spot for him? We can argue whether smoking dope was a mistake or not, however no one can argue that it is against the UCMJ.

Thread Information