Going to Vietnam
Create Post

Going to Vietnam

Next week, the little lady and I are going on a 15-day tour of Cambodia & Vietnam. We'll be seeing Phnom Penh, Siam Reap (Angor Wat), Ho Chi Minh City, Hoi An, Hue, Halong Bay, and Hanoi.

This is a 'civilian' tour and we'll be focusing on history and culture. But we'll be seeing the Cu Chi tunnels and the Hanoi Hilton.

I'll be thinking of all you 'Nam vets and those who were wounded or gave their all.

Tips & comments welcomed....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    While at Oki, I was toured to the Cave of the Virgins. Don't be swayed on what was right and what was wrong.

My guidebook warns not to make snide comments in museums like the the War Remnants Museum in Hanoi because the docents will yell at you and even slap your wrists.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If I went there I would absorb a lot but in my head I would be thinkin,,,,,,, Fk Em All.

It was a war on or about China.

Credits
    Savings
    Wow
    Trip of a lifetime !
    Enjoy

I'll never go back to that sh!t hole again. Where I was at,it smelled to much like gook sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace15 View Post
    I'll never go back to that sh!t hole again. Where I was at,it smelled to much like gook sh!t.

But then, so did Oki.

I don't believe I'm quite ready for that trip yet.

Quote Originally Posted by R Landry View Post
    Next week, the little lady and I are going on a 15-day tour of Cambodia & Vietnam. We'll be seeing Phnom Penh, Siam Reap (Angor Wat), Ho Chi Minh City, Hoi An, Hue, Halong Bay, and Hanoi.

This is a 'civilian' tour and we'll be focusing on history and culture. But we'll be seeing the Cu Chi tunnels and the Hanoi Hilton.

I'll be thinking of all you 'Nam vets and those who were wounded or gave their all.

Tips & comments welcomed....
    Enjoy....I'd love to have the leisure time & bucks to go back and visit the LZ's and Op areas from my time.

Personally, I have no regrets and do not share in the feelings of bitterness or anger that I see expressed occasionally.
    I guess we all take back something different from the profound experience of surviving Vietnam.

Yes...as already stated....take pics.

Carry on....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have a few friends that went back... there is no trace what so ever of us ever being there.
    All the big compounds are completely gone. According to my friend, RT 1 is lined with hooches. Very few hamlets like we used to see...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    I have a few friends that went back... there is no trace what so ever of us ever being there.
    All the big compounds are completely gone. According to my friend, RT 1 is lined with hooches. Very few hamlets like we used to see...
    Yes...I know a 1/2 dozen that went back over the last 3 years or so and remnants of our time were blown up, ransacked and built on.
    A couple from my unit and some Brothers from I/3/5 during the Op Hastings/Colorado era.
    They're mission was to bury some memorial items for Brothers (my boot camp buddy) Presby and several others killed during the ambush at Hill 362.

Route 1 is all paved which is a difficult one for me to imagine.
    All I recall is 1.5 lanes of red mud slick.

Carry on.....

Thread Information