mag 12 casualty 67
Create Post

mag 12 casualty 67

I am looking for any one who was in Chu Lia in 67 and new Maj Cullen Starnes. He was killed in a landing accident in Sept. He was in a TA4 and the other pilot that ejected and survived was Capt. Michael Pool. Does anyone know these marines and what happened on the landing. Any information is appreciated. I am an ex Navy pilot married to Major Starnes daughter.

On 29 September 1967, Mljor Cullen G. ST1-lRNES, 062055, USMCR, died
    when he ejected from his aircraft. Captain Michael L. POOL, 090991,
    USl'1J, was injured when he ejected from the same' aircraft. Major STARNES
    and Captain POOL were pilots of a TALF aircraft, returning from a train ...
    ing flight. The TALF crashed while landing on the East runway, HC1I.S,
    Chu lai, RVNQ Captain POOL was transferred by SR to Camp But,lar while
    Gvacuated to USNH Pensacola, Florida.
    ,http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/USMC_Rvn.htm MAG 12, Sept 29 1967 page 6

Last edited by David R 1968; 07-29-11 at 07:48 PM. Reason: date

Same story, different version:
    “The Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron of MAG-12 had a small number of two-seat TA-4F Skyhawks for continuation training, liaison flights and other purposes. As one of its TA-4Fs was approaching to land at Chu Lai it touched down heavily short of the runway demolishing the landing gear. The aircraft caught fire and one of the crew was killed in the crash.” The story indicates that Maj. Cullen George Starnes was the pilot of the aircraft.
    fyi: The Marines would lose a total of ten TA-4Fs in the war, resulting in 3 fatalities.

Thanks very much

Does anyone know about the accident investigation. Was is attrributed to aircraft error or pilot error and who was the pilot in command. If it was a ta4 who was in the front

I witnessed this wreck. I was on the knoll just to the east of the runway by the H&MS12 armory. As a habit, I watched the planes land. The plane was landing north to south When he came it, it looked low, and I don't know if he caught the end (vertical face) of the runway, or ??? but his landing gear got ripped off. The plane rotated slightly to the left and one of the occupants punched-out, almost sideways. I just saw the one chute. The aircraft then creamed-in and just turned into a fireball. It was bad.
    (Cpl) Ed Reese, H&MS-12 '66-'67

Thread Information