1812 MOS - Tank Crewman, FT.Benning
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1812 MOS - Tank Crewman, FT.Benning

Hello, My husband just arrived at Fort Benning GA, for his MOS school, 1812 tank crewman. Just looking for any information about this MOS, we have no clue about any of it, his recruiter lied to us, becouse he chose field artillery, The recruiter said okay, and "put it down" as his mos, after MCT when he got his orders, he was told that he would be a tank crwman, & not field artillery!. So we do not know what to expect, please give me deatils if you can, How tough is the school? does this mos get deployed abunch? or is it normal? or is it less? where do they usually station this mos? what does he need to expect at school? and how does the weekend liberty work? can he stay off base? if so what does he need to do, in order to do so? any other information that i need to know?

Thank you in advance!!
    -Lindsey J.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marinewife621 View Post
    Hello, My husband just arrived at Fort Benning GA, for his MOS school, 1812 tank crewman. Just looking for any information about this MOS, we have no clue about any of it, his recruiter lied to us, becouse he chose field artillery, The recruiter said okay, and "put it down" as his mos, after MCT when he got his orders, he was told that he would be a tank crwman, & not field artillery!. So we do not know what to expect, please give me deatils if you can, How tough is the school? does this mos get deployed abunch? or is it normal? or is it less? where do they usually station this mos? what does he need to expect at school? and how does the weekend liberty work? can he stay off base? if so what does he need to do, in order to do so? any other information that i need to know?

Thank you in advance!!
    -Lindsey J.
    If I'm not mistaken, the contract code that artillery comes under also includes tanks. So he got what he signed for, not necessarily what he wanted. He can join a long line of Marines there.

As far as liberty, wait until he learns and you can learn from him. That will be the most up-to-date info on liberty available. Don't expect week night liberty.

He will be assigned to one of the division tank battalions, east coast (Lejuene), west coast (29 Palms). He could go to Okinawa as well. Tanks deploy. Every MEU takes a platoon (4 or 5 tanks). Marine tanks just deployed to Afghanistan recently for the first time. I think only a company went (about 14 tanks).

I don't know how academically "hard" tank school is, but there is a lot of physical labor involved to operating and maintaining a tank. He'll learn every job on a tank, although once out of school he'll probably be assigned as a driver to start.

Thanks for your info. Although im a little confused on what you ment on the deployment section, Do they get depolyed alot? or not? also soesnt MEU mean he will be on a ship?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marinewife621 View Post
    Thanks for your info. Although im a little confused on what you ment on the deployment section, Do they get depolyed alot? or not? also soesnt MEU mean he will be on a ship?

I don't know what the deployment tempo for tanks is. Your hubby should learn that soon. He can find out the latest and greatest from his instructors (who are Marine tankers).

If he goes on a Marine Expeditionary Unit, yes, he'll be aboard ship. His platoon could be landed for an exercise or a real-world event.

I was with 2nd Tank Battalion at Lejuene. Great unit, I enjoyed my time with them. Way back in the day we had the old M-60. How I would love to ride in the new m1a1 Abrams. Best and safest tank in the world. They also were tip of the spear on the drive to Bagdad on the right flank of the Army tanks. And believe me, they kicked butt.

Ok...first, thank you for completing the profile. Nice looking couple.

Next...double and triple posting isn't allowed. Read our site rules.

Third...read our site rules

Now, no doubt someone 'thinks' they were lied to, but they weren't. Trust me on this....tank crewman is a FAR better gig than Arty. He'll likely have a ball.

Your other threads are going to be deleted as one will do the trick. Any pertinent info will be merged here.

Oh, as far as the rest of the questions....

Tanks are in Pendleton, Lejeune, and, I believe, Okinawa. That's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Tanks BTW, in that order. His deployment rotation will be somewhat different, as the Corps doesn't have huge tank divisions like the army. Worry about that when he gets his orders, now isn't the time.

LIkely as not he'll get some weekend liberty while in school. Should you follow him? No. Stay where you are and save your money. He needs to concentrate on SCHOOL and graduating as well as learning his new job. No offense, but you being there will be a distraction. There are no quarters for you, so you'll have to be in a motel. If you really HAVE to go, try and find a long weekend, or the last weekend that he is there. You'll do him no favors by being cooped up in a motel bored to tears while he's working long days and nights. Trust me on this.

Welcome aboard!

Tank Officer here. He can go to 1 of 2 active duty battalions.
    1st Tanks-29 Palms
    2nd Tanks - Lejeune

Tankers are a rare breed. He is in a 70 ton tracked war machine that is proven on the battlefield. Our deployments are normal. He should deploy. Tell him not to worry. Tanks rock. Dirty, tough, hot (10-15 degress hotter than ambient temp in a tank) as there is no A/C. Tell him to get strong quick, and learn as much as he can. It is better than ARTY, but in today's PC world, we are underused. In conventional warfare everyone wants us. But that is the way it is.

Slinging 85 pound rounds will put some muscle on him.

This is 2nd MarDiv/2nd Tanks website if you want to take a look. Being my old unit I sorta keep up with them. Read and watch all the news I could find during their during their run at Baghdad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Ok...first, thank you for completing the profile. Nice looking couple.

Next...double and triple posting isn't allowed. Read our site rules.

Third...read our site rules

Now, no doubt someone 'thinks' they were lied to, but they weren't. Trust me on this....tank crewman is a FAR better gig than Arty. He'll likely have a ball.

Your other threads are going to be deleted as one will do the trick. Any pertinent info will be merged here.

Oh, as far as the rest of the questions....

Tanks are in Pendleton, Lejeune, and, I believe, Okinawa. That's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Tanks BTW, in that order. His deployment rotation will be somewhat different, as the Corps doesn't have huge tank divisions like the army. Worry about that when he gets his orders, now isn't the time.

LIkely as not he'll get some weekend liberty while in school. Should you follow him? No. Stay where you are and save your money. He needs to concentrate on SCHOOL and graduating as well as learning his new job. No offense, but you being there will be a distraction. There are no quarters for you, so you'll have to be in a motel. If you really HAVE to go, try and find a long weekend, or the last weekend that he is there. You'll do him no favors by being cooped up in a motel bored to tears while he's working long days and nights. Trust me on this.

Welcome aboard!
    Thanks for the infor, i will definitly read the rules, im sorry that i havnt read them before now. I'm not planning on living there, concidering it is only 8 weeks, i am just planning on going up there one weekend while he has liberty. Thank you again!!

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG0369 View Post
    Tank Officer here. He can go to 1 of 2 active duty battalions.
    1st Tanks-29 Palms
    2nd Tanks - Lejeune

Tankers are a rare breed. He is in a 70 ton tracked war machine that is proven on the battlefield. Our deployments are normal. He should deploy. Tell him not to worry. Tanks rock. Dirty, tough, hot (10-15 degress hotter than ambient temp in a tank) as there is no A/C. Tell him to get strong quick, and learn as much as he can. It is better than ARTY, but in today's PC world, we are underused. In conventional warfare everyone wants us. But that is the way it is.

Slinging 85 pound rounds will put some muscle on him.
    Thank you, they are telling him that we will be stationed at Lejeune, but i know that it could change. i'm glad to hear some positive imput, like i said we are going into this one blind lol, but glad to know that its alot better than FA. oh and I will be AOKAY with him putting on some more muscle! lol but i will let him know, thank you again!!

So, they moved tank school from Ft Knox?

Quote Originally Posted by jamielang1951 View Post
    This is 2nd MarDiv/2nd Tanks website if you want to take a look. Being my old unit I sorta keep up with them. Read and watch all the news I could find during their during their run at Baghdad.

Oops, sorry about that, old man shouldn't stay up so late. Here's that link.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/2ndmardi...s/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgtSki View Post
    So, they moved tank school from Ft Knox?
    yes, they just did it recently, either 2010, or 2011.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Tanks are cool. There were days on the ramp at Camp Schwab where I would wonder if being a tanker would be better than a tracker as I busted rust off the trans and pack on my hog. There is nothing scarier than to feel the ground shake underneath a tank as it passes you by. He will be OK.

Don't go to school with him. Have your stuff packed for the first duty station after school and be a good Marine wife. Yes, there are bad Marine wives. I won't go there, but they are easy to spot. Your man's job will be a lot easier if he knows all is well at home and you will be there for him when he returns. Jacksonville, NC outside of Lejeune is a soap opera a lot of times. Try not to get caught up into all of the BS of the other couples/families.

Put off having kids for as long as you can. It might be tempting to start that family, but being newlyweds, you need time to be with each other and not have the stress of yard apes. At the end of the first enlistment and if all is well and he decides to make it a career, would be a great time to start a family. Don't start having kids and then him not like the Corps and deciding that the economy sucks so bad and the Corps offers than guaranteed paycheck is the reasoning why he stays in. He will resent it, you will resent it, and the kids will not like it either with mom and dad fighting. Personally, I don't think kids should be getting married their first hitch in the military to start, but it is not my call and you've already done the deed. When he makes E-5 it would probably be safe to say he will earn enough money to support a family. E-4 at the minimum, but again that is your choice.

Good luck and Semper Fi.

Thread Information