Prior Service
Create Post

Thread: Prior Service

Prior Service

I was discharged under the DADT policy. (hateration by a ****bag, my command testified for me though) The certification took place yesterday and I am interested in re-enlisting. I read those discharged under the policy will be able to re-enlist starting September 20th.
    I was active duty and will now be looking into the SMCR option. I have requested info from a reserve station and they sent a flag and a letter stating I had options and to contact the recruiter.
    Does anyone know the process of prior service re-enlistment and what can I expect? Bootcamp over again? I have a B.S. now will I be able to become commissioned just turned 31?
    MOS 3051

Thanks, I am finding army recruiters are all over prior service Marines. I just don't want to do that. I want to finish what I started. I am hoping it is not as hard for reserve though. Thanks again.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you were kicked out because of DADT, you can get back in. At least it's open to you now. Good luck getting back in, I don't know many Marines who got out then joined back up but I know plenty of soldiers who used to be Marines.

A Army recruiter told me that people were having trouble passing the ASVAB. I thought we were supposed to be more advanced this day and age as far as education is concerned? Maybe that is why they are seeking more prior service types???

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It's probably a test like how they do IQ. As general information and the quality of education increases, they adjust the testing accordingly. Like how and IQ of 100 is considered a baseline, but the 100 today is not the same as a 100 50 years ago.

The recruiter I talked to said it is not that much different and it might even be a little easier these days. There are also more study aids out there. He said, "it is really a bad thing to see".

Quote Originally Posted by DRB View Post
    The recruiter I talked to said it is not that much different and it might even be a little easier these days. There are also more study aids out there. He said, "it is really a bad thing to see".
    I took the ASVAB again in May after being out of high school for 20 years, I got a 91 AFQT on it.There were a few kids there on their second attempt to make the minimums for Army and Navy. It took me an hour or so for the test,They were not even half done when I left after doing all the new "personality" trait testing and the coding tests. My first ASVAB was in 1990 and I got a 93 AFQT, So it hasn't changed that much.

Are you still looking for advice on this one?

Thread Information