Am I to late?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I to late?

Am I to late?

Hello Marines,

Thank you ahead of time for your answers.

I am sure you have heard this scenario before. But I wanted you to look at my specific case so that I can decide if it is even worth talking to an OSO. I am 28 years old (April 19, 1983), overweight, have a wife and an amazing daughter. Is there any possible way for me to get a commision still.

1.) I have 42 college credits from a Community College

2.) I am currently working with a Nutritionist and a Personal Trainer to get ready for boot camp. My plan is to go enlisted reserves, finish my degree and then try for OCS (Not sure if this is the best route). 5 weeks ago I weighed 307lbs I am now down to 268lbs and can finally pass a basic IST. I am averaging 5 lbs of weightloss per week, and training my butt off!

3.) I realize my goal here is lofty, I am just wondering if it is even possible in the scenario that I shed the weight can run first class PFT, make it through boot camp, finish my degree, obtain a waiver for my dependent and a small tattoo on my back(a lizard, Very stupid).

There seems like so many hurdles to jump, but I just want to know if there is any hope for me on the basis of me completing all of the above. And if so, what is the exact route / best route that I can take to get there?

Again thank you for your time and answers and service. God Bless.

Anything is possible -- how bad do you want it and how much are you willing to sacrifice to get it.

Talk is cheap.

Good luck.

Thank you for the encouragement I want this more than anything! I am ready to give everything that I have to make it possible. I just want to know if it is even possible at my age to get a commision at this point considering I have a few years of college left before my bachelors and if so, what would the best possible route be for me?

Should I go Enlisted Reserves first?

Should I even talk to an OSO right now?

I looked on the Marine Officer site and I just can't figure out what route would work for me at this point.

I promise all of you I am training and Dieting harder than I have ever before. I have started reading the OCS preperation guides. I am doing as much research as I possibly can on the internet. I have been in the background reading a lot of posts on this website for a while now. I know that becoming an officer or even a Marine for that matter is going to take a lot more than just a good Physique and strong attitude, but I really really want this and will push myself until absolute failure happens.

Boy do I pray that doesn't happen though.

Justin

I would concentrate on just enlisting at this point. Realistically and no BS involved, it's going to be difficult enough for you to simply enlist. The credits are fine college wise but officer selection and training is designed to weed out folks. It's going to take you quite a while just to get in shape to be accepted into the Marine Corps, and realistically, unless you have some sort of very, very, special high speed skill the 'Corps wants enough to age waiver you for officer training, it's not going to happen.

You are going to have enough trouble just plain old enlisting. At this point you'll need the dependant waiver, possibly an age waiver (you are reaching max) and who knows what else.

Go reserves first and hope like hevll you can enlist, then work it from there.

Thank you for your honest answer sir. I will start there.

Just to clarifiy...

Yes, I am worried a bit. But will try my hardest, I know waivers are hard to come by at the moment. I also know that the Marine Corps is getting to pick the "Cream of the Crop". All I can do is hope I get lucky. I am very flexible on my ship date and definetly flexible on my MOS.

If I can pull off Getting into a reserve unit enlisted and then start finishing my degree when I get back.

Will this will better my chances of getting into OCS?

Also, Is this the best possible route to go at this point?

At this point in your life it's the ONLY option. Highly unlikely you'll get an OSO to do anything but politely talk with you at this point. Certainly try if you want but don't be surprised at the answer. Esp. with your weight, and that's going to take time, which you do NOT have at the moment.

Concentrate on getting into a reserve unit, then worry about the other stuff later.

And, realistically, the Marine Corps may not take you. If that happens (and it's possible) and you still want to pursue the military, don't discount the other branches. They can offer things the Marine Corps can't and aren't as picky.

Thank you sir,

Well at my current rate of losing weight, I am hoping to DEP in around the Middle to End of August. I am 268 today and 72inches tall. That means I have to get to 234 to swear in. I am confident with my training regimen and this diet that I will get there. I guess right now I will just focus on losing the weight and working towards a strong PFT. Then I will talk to a recruiter and hopefully get my ship date.

Again I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to answer questions due to my lack of knowledge. Take care for now. I will keep you updated.

Please keep us in the loop, and let us know how you are doing as well as the progress you are making!

Yes sir! Will do

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Here is some info that might help you. You're chances of obtaining a commission are pretty slim mainly due to your age But good luck to you and keep up the good work. Even if you don't get in losing all that weight will allow you to stick around and watch your daughter grow up

There are several ways to gain a commission in the United States Marine Corps, whether one is currently enlisted, or whether one is currently a civilian college student/graduate

For those Marine Officers not attending the U.S. Naval Academy, the road to a commission as a lieutenant in the Corps begins with one of several programs at Officer Candidates School: The Officer Candidates Class, the Platoon Leaders Course, or the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps. Each course is a screening process, with the mission to motivate, train, evaluate, and screen potential officers.

Basic Qualifications

There is no longer a specific officer candidate academic test for Marine Corps Officer applicants. Those wishing to apply for a commission in the Marine Corps must achieve one of the following minimums: (1) Combined score of 1000 on the verbal and math sections of the Sccholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
    (2) Combined math and verbal score of 45 on the American College Test (ACT), or
    (3) 120 (can be waivered to 115) on the Marine Corps EL composite score of the ASVAB.
    Aviation officer applicants must also take the Navy and Marine Corps Aviation Selection Test Battery.
    Other minimum qualification requirements include:
    • Minimum of a Bachelors Degree (upon commissioning)
    • Must be a United States Citizen
    • Age: Between 18 and 28 (no older than age 30 for current enlisted)
    • Must Meet Normal Accession Medical Standards
    • Must Be Eligible for a Security Clearance (Either SECRET or TOP SECRET, depending on the job assignment)
    • High Moral Character. Applicants convicted of any felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude can forget it. History of addiction to any narcotic, illegal drug, or alcohol is disqualifying. See Marine Corps Criminal History Information for basic details.

Just wanted to keep you posted.

I can officially run a 3rd class crappy PFT, but a passing one at that.
    IST
    1.5 Mile 12:33
    Crunches 91
    Pull Ups 4

I am down to 255 as of right now. Total loss of 52lbs from where I started. I am learning more and more that it is most likely going to be impossible to get a commision, going in enlisted is going to be hard enough at my age. But none the less, I will keep working at my goal until they tell me that it is absolutely not going to happen.

Still Motivated, long way to go.

It is amazing to me the amount of work it takes to become a Marine. It definetly backs up the fact that this is not for everyone!

Thanks for all your advice. It has helped.

Take care for now.

Justin

Congratulations on the weight loss! Keep pushing!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you really want to go officer, do what you can to get a TS clearance. From the couple of mustangs I've worked with, especially the older ones, already having a clearance is a major plus for you since it's far cheaper to just give you a commission and not have to go through the investigation then to do it for someone else and possibly have them fail the investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxzero View Post
    If you really want to go officer, do what you can to get a TS clearance. From the couple of mustangs I've worked with, especially the older ones, already having a clearance is a major plus for you since it's far cheaper to just give you a commission and not have to go through the investigation then to do it for someone else and possibly have them fail the investigation.
    Can a civilian buy a TS clearance? Don't think so. How much does one cost and where do you go to apply? Do they take credit cards? If I pay more will they expedite it for me? How about if I need to upgrade to a TS/SCI?

Sounds like another case of a LCpl giving advice about something they know nothing about...imagine that!

Thread Information