Technical MOS
Create Post

Thread: Technical MOS

Technical MOS

I'm new to these forums, so a quick background: I'm coming up on 21 years old in a few weeks, so I'm a little older than your average wannabe. I have an OK job... it's not really what I want but it's what I got. I'm a very technical kind of guy, always reading, and I love working out. So, naturally I'm looking for an MOS that would allow me to exercise my brain a bit, but I'm not ruling out more physically demanding ones either. I was thinking about either 2171 (electro-optical ordnance technician), or combat engineer... two VERY different MOS's. I understand that you can't pick your exact MOS, just the MOS field; the two are mostly just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for. If anyone could relate their experiences with either MOS or related ones, and give any kind of guidance, it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Do a search on the site....combat engineer has been covered many times before, and as for 2171 (electro-optical ordnance technician), try doing a google search on that one.

Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions

MOS 2171 - - Electra-Optical Ordnance Repairer

Type of MOS : PMOS

Rank Range: GySgt to Pvt

Job Description: The electro-optical ordnance repairer performs electro-optical maintenance and repair to ground ordnance laser and night vision devices, small missiles systems, and other fire control equipment. Duties also include performing mechanical, mechanical-optical and electrical repairs to include inspecting, troubleshooting and adjusting fire control instruments and systems.

The electro-optical ordnance repairer, grades Private through Corporal, also completes basic shop administrative forms and records using technical publications. At the grades of Sergeant and above, the electro-optical ordnance repairer trains, supervises, and performs various duties and tasks incident to the management of an electro-optical ordnance repair shop or facility.

Job Requirements:
    (1) Must possess an MM score of 105 or higher.

(2) Must possess an EL score of 115 or higher.

(3) Must have a National Agency Check, Local Agency Check, and Credit Check (NACLC) resident within the Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS).

(4) Must have normal color vision.

(5) Complete the Electro-Optical Ordnance Repairer Course, U.S. Army Ordnance Center and School, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD.

(6) Complete Ground Ordnance Intermediate Level Supervisors Course (CID A01GBC1) by Sergeant through Staff Sergeant with 24 months remaining on active duty upon completion of course. In the case of lateral move, must have served a minimum of one year in MOS 2171. Prerequisites for USMCR include serving in an active Reserve billet in MOS 2171.

(7) ENTNAC or NAC (National Agency Check) completed with favorable results.

(8) Must be a U.S. citizen.

(9) Must be eligible for a secret security clearance.

Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.57, Individual Training Standards.

Related Department of Labor Occupation Codes :
    (1) Instrument Mechanic, Weapons System 711.281-014.

(2) Electro-Optical Instrument 711.281-010.

(3) Artillery-Maintenance Supervisor 632.131-010.

Related Marine Corps Jobs:Electronic Maintenance Repair, 2886.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/2171.htm

Thank you for replying, ma'am. I've been to about.com, but it's only helpfull to a certain point. It tells you what qualifications you need, what training you'll get, and gives you a job description; it doesn't tell you what you'll actually be doing, what oppurtunities are available both in and out of the Marine Corps, what daily/deployed life is like, etc. I know that Combat Engineer has been brought up many times before, but this thread is mainly about technical MOS's; I threw CE in there for comparative purposes. Thanks again, and any MOS recommendations would be much appreciated.

If you like technical you could go Aviation mechanic. I went in open contract aviation. Got good experience with diesel engines and hydraulics which landed me a pretty good job with a hydraulic shop. Making more money now than i ever had. You said you like technical, what kind exactly? Electrician, mechanical what?

Avionics would be ideal for you. You may even want to look at Air Traffic Controller.

Most everything but 0300 is technical.

Thread Information