Did you disliked your DIs in the beginning?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you disliked your DIs in the beginning?

Asking Marines. Did you disliked your Drill Instructors in the beginning, as time went on, you started to like them? Maybe, you thanked them at graduation? Kinda like tough love? How was some of your experience with Drill Instructors at Boot Camp? How did you feel at graduation? Thanks for answers!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dislike? It was more like absolute fear. Get Godzilla in the room and you'll know what I mean. Once you get with the program, you gain respect, but love's got nothing to do with it. In the end, you are Marines.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    when i got to PI the DI's told us we were goin to VietNam,from that moment on i was all ears,i was all about surviving,(ihad three other brothers that were in vietnam, they told me pay attention in training and i did) i would have to say among other things they said, keep your head out of your ass,and never ever give up they were right, just my thought, s/f there is another Marine in LN that was in BOOT with me,

In the first 1.5 months of boot camp.... it was pure, unadulterated fear. In the late 60s, you were sure these men were going to kill you. You couldn't possibly live up to their expectations and they were not ashamed of physically showing you how disappointed they were. After that, however, you started to figure out boot camp. You realized what the DIs were doing. They were teaching you to survive in all situations. When that moment occurred, you understood your DI was your best friend. He didn't treat you like your best friend.... but he was teaching you all you needed to know to live!

Had no time to grow to like them....too busy worrying about living another day. Fear is too small a word.

I guess when I arrive at Boot Camp, I'll have to fear for the worst...!

Credits
    Savings
    Affirmative on survival mode
    These Gorrillas were in everyone's faces it seemed like every minute
    Every error resulted in individual lumps and group pain.

As already stated there was a reason
    I survived Nam and since survived the slimy civilian world because of these Gorillias

One of my DI's had been on the USMC boxing team. He maintained his form by punching us recruits (always inside the barracks with lookouts posted). Can't say I had a lot of respect for him but you can believe I listened to every word he ever said.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Motivation twice, because i was a smart ass.got my ass kick by a DI, but iam alive today,for some reason,

You should never like your Drill Instructor's. Hasn't anyone ever told you that "Liking leads to Loving." There is no way that your Drill Instructor will love you.

Ill be the bootest to post on here. Times have changed and its no longer physical teaching. You will fear/hate/despise them but at some point you will understand what they are doing and you'll learn to respect them. Will you like them? IDK Im not buddies with my DIs and if I caught one out here in the fleet Id probably go back to recruit status. What they teach you is vital whether weapons maintanance, first aid, even drill. Instant obedience to orders you wont have time to waste out in country

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Never gave a thought to liking them. Just worried about surviving them.

I ran into our Heavy on Okinawa in early 1975. I was a Sergeant by then. We went out for drinks and dinner a few times before he rotated back. Really nice guy - then. I did thank him for his loving attention though. He also filled me in on some of the inside action that went on that, even as scribe, I did not witness.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Hate....Fear...Respect....

A drillinstructor is there to teach and mentor and turn a punkazz...snot nosed kid into a Marine.....not to be liked or be a friend.....

I hated that I got thumped and quarterdecked.....I realize now why....

I feared them as they were in my opine the baddest mothers on the island...and even if they were alive today I would feal the same if I met them face to face.

I respect them.....because without them....I would not be where I am today.....

How did you feel at graduation?
    A Marine...a man....one of best in the gun club.....and a sense of accomplishment.....and thankful that I did something with my young azz besides sit and smoulder.....

The job of a D.I is to turn you from civilian into a Marine. No easy task.....I spent some time in the " Pork Chop Platoon" and the D.I"s there worked me half to death...My D.I's (not my S.D.I) were all from the south and they hated my yankee accent..I spent a lot of time on the quarter deck for that....I hated them for that...but having said that i will say that they turned me from a fat little **** into a Marine....It was there job and they were good at it...

For me back in the early 80"s it was at first fear. I knew what was coming, hell I was 4th generation, but you can never prepare enough for the first five minutes of your Drill Instructors right in your face. As my fellow Marines have said though Respect soon followed. I ran across one of my juniors a few years after boot in Okinawa. He made Staff Sergeant and I was a Lance Corporal, I didnt expect him to remember me, but I told him thanks and I bough him a few beers. I told my Oldest boy, who's now the 5th gen Marine, Im more than a little proud of that. Keep a good mental outlook and youl do fine.

Thread Information