President Obama Oks MOH for living Marine
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

President Obama Oks MOH for living Marine

For the first time since Vietnam, a living Marine will receive the Medal of Honor. About damn time.
    http://www.militarytimes.com/news/20...honor-071911w/

OUTFingStanding, Well earned from what I read, doesnt say when. But I will say the one thing that bothers me. Is this. the MOH is the highest award this nation has for its warriors and yet the media worms choose not to break in and show it live, not even CNN or MSNBC, the only way to watch it it to stream it on the White House web site. I dont understand this. Either way very happy for Sgt Dakota Meyer, well earned, Semper Fi Brother

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You think it’s a contest or something “About damn time “ fine better words Marine !

Quote Originally Posted by stretchusa View Post
    For the first time since Vietnam, a living Marine will receive the Medal of Honor. About damn time.
    http://www.militarytimes.com/news/20...honor-071911w/

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    You think it’s a contest or something “About damn time “ fine better words Marine !
    No I don't think it is a contest, I think it is a FUCKING tragedy that this is the first time in 41 years that a MOH goes to a living Marine. We have been in Afghanistan since 2001 and Iraq since 2003. This is the longest period of war since Vietnam and has the least amount of MOH granted ever. The Spanish-American war last four(4) months and has more MOHs. It is ridicules.

That either says the MOH has been degraded, or the men in charge have no minds.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No I don't think it is a contest, I think it is a FUCKING tragedy that this is the first time in 41 years that a MOH goes to a living Marine. We have been in Afghanistan since 2001 and Iraq since 2003. This is the longest period of war since Vietnam and has the least amount of MOH granted ever. The Spanish-American war last four(4) months and has more MOHs. It is ridicules.
    Actually, we (as a military), should break down the periods in which the Medal of Honor was awarded. Before WWI, many awards of the MOH would probably have never seen even a Bronze Star these days, and no one arguing about it. Hard to tell though as the citations were often so damned brief.

Part of the problem was there were not very many valor awards back then. Unlike today when there is a whole hierarchy of medals for valor, plus some that can be awarded for either meritorious service or for valor, with the "V" device distinguishing between the two types of award.

So way back then it was often either an MOH or a pat on the back. This isn't to say some of those MOH awards weren't very well deserved, but the requirements were a little wobbly. You can't compare the Spanish-American War to today. Apples and oranges.

However, I do agree that the requirements for an MOH today seem to be a bit wobbly too, but in the other direction.

The action for which Cpl Meyer is receiving the Blue Max is a rather unusual incident. Paperwork running the gamut from recommending a MOH to Letters of Reprimand were flung all over the place as a result of that battle.

Quote Originally Posted by CplLakota View Post
    OUTFingStanding, Well earned from what I read, very happy for Sgt Dakota Meyer, well earned, Semper Fi Brother

About damn time.
    My thoughts exactly

It's amazing how long it took this country to start awarding MOH's again, and for living service members at that.

Crazy...

Hopefully it'll start a process of honoring all those Marines who did a lot of things similar in many battles, ambushes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    So way back then it was often either an MOH or a pat on the back. This isn't to say some of those MOH awards weren't very well deserved, but the requirements were a little wobbly. You can't compare the Spanish-American War to today. Apples and oranges.
    True, but it is not quite apples and oranges, back in 1916 they went through all the MOH awarded up to that point and recinded almost 1/3 of them.

Today I watched an interview with Sgt Dakota Myer and his father. Dakota is one of the most unassuming Marines you could ever meet, saying how he didn't like the word hero. You could tell from his demeanor that he was embarrassed about being called hero. That's the way it is with heroes, unlike someone we know in our "War Room" who calls himself hero.

What really disturbed me was how some Army officers screwed the pooch on this, directly contributing to the deaths of three Marines and a Corpsman. I can't believe the three officers got off with a slap on the wrist.

This is a more detailed piece on the investigation.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...mbush_030310w/

Well said sir.

Someone in the 'war room' calls himself a 'hero'????

By all means, please PM with details on THAT.

The only true war heroes are our brothers and sisters who make the ultimate sacrifice.

Sorry Jason I missed this. The guys took care of it and he seems to have Di-Di'ed from our area of operation. Wrong thread to launch personal attacks on one of our most respected brother's and then call yourself a hero.

Good. And, I believe I now know who it was, and he has been extracted from our AO forever.

Thread Information