If the shoe fits
Create Post

If the shoe fits

If the Shoe Fits...5 Ways to Find Your Function

Author:Pastor Gary Keesee | Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 10:31am

I was in a church one time when this big bus rolled in with a band’s name on the side. I thought I was going to be witnessing some great concert, but I was wrong. The band was awful. They couldn’t sing. In fact, it was one of the worst noises I have ever heard in my life. This band had spent all of this money on instruments, and on this bus, when they could have better used that money somewhere else. It was like watching American Idol tryouts. Have you ever wondered where these people’s friends are? Why hasn’t anyone told them? Where is their mom? Why didn't someone tell them they couldn't sing?

That’s how silly it looks for us to try to do something that we’re not gifted for. We can try to move in directions and do things because we think that’s where the money is, because we think it’s cool or popular, or because that’s where we think the glory is, but we just end up embarrassing ourselves if we try to function as something other than what God has designed us for.

The dictionary defines ‘function’ as an activity or purpose natural to or intended for a person or thing; a practical use or purpose in design.

Look at a cup. It has a very defined function. It’s made to be a cup. If I try to use it for something else, it isn’t going to be effective. We have people all over the Body of Christ who are trying to be something other than the cups they were called to be, but they’re not effective. We have to find our fit—our specific purpose and function.

Paul talks about function in I Corinthians 12. He’s reminding the church that the body is ONE unit and he’s teaching them about the importance of functioning that way. In verse 15, he says, “If the foot should say, ‘Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,’ is it therefore not of the body?” See, the devil will lie to you if you don’t understand proper function. He’ll tell you you’re not important, that you’re not valuable. He’ll tell you there isn’t glory in what you’re doing because you can’t sing, or you’re not on the platform, or at the forefront, but that’s a lie. You can think you’re insignificant, but the whole body has been arranged just as God wanted it to be. That inferiority was happening in Corinth. Paul was correcting that. He was also correcting the people on the other side—the prideful ones.

We all know someone who has ‘spiritual dreams’ every night. You know, the person who wants to tell you all about how God tells them what color shirt to wear, what color socks to wear, all of it. Why do people do that? Because they have spiritual pride. See, pride says, ‘Look at me! Look at all my spiritual gifts! I don’t need you! I hear God for myself.’ But that’s a very dangerous road to go down. That road will take you right out of here. You can’t get your identity by being more spiritual than others. People like that think they have a spiritual mind, but Paul says the opposite. He says they have lost connection with the head—with Jesus Christ. You don’t want to follow anyone like that. People were looking down on each other in the church and Paul was correcting that. Because those parts of the Body that seem to be weaker are indispensable. God has orchestrated the function of every person in the body no matter how small.

Ask any leader what the most valuable giftings are in your church and they’re likely to say helps and administrations. Those aren’t the people in the forefront or on the platform, but everything would crumble in five seconds without those vital people—those vital functions.

Instead of clamoring for attention, being jealous of each other, trying to posture ourselves as being more important, and following after the people we think have the most anointing, we should be functioning in unity. We should be edifying others and building them up. We should be loving people and honoring God. That’s why chapters 12, 13, and 14 flow together. Paul dives right in there. He wants us to recognize the significance of every function.

We’re all going to stand before Christ someday and tell what we did with our assignment. Someone is depending on your function. How will you answer when you’re asked how you used it?

The people you thought were so eloquent and spiritual may just be in the back, while some little, old lady who quietly interceded at her house every day will be at the front because she was faithful over that call, that assignment, that function.

So, no more rock star mentalities. We’re in this together. Find your function and add value to the whole Body.

So, how do you find your function? Here’s FIVE ways:

1.What bothers you? What problems do you want to fix? Others might not see the same things you see because that’s your function. See a wall with a dent in it? Grab a paintbrush. Become the answer.

2.What brings you the greatest satisfaction? In the earth-cursed system, we made all of our decisions based on money. We had to do what was asked of us in order to make money. Because of that, people don’t really know what brings them true satisfaction. So, experiment. Try some things. Find out what brings you satisfaction.

3.Start doing something. It’s hard to evaluate something from standstill. Jump in somewhere.

4.Remember to own the vision, not the position. A small church starts up and they need a musician. After some time, a lady finally speaks up and says she took about 6 months of lessons, so they give her the job. Eventually the church grows, and a ‘more seasoned’ piano player is put in position. But that lady with the 6 months of lessons gets offended when they ask her to do something else. Don’t be her. Don’t get offended. Be willing to be moved around. Own the vision, not the position.

5.Volunteer. If you won’t do it for free, why should you get paid to do it? Most of our staff began as volunteers. God is going to promote you. He’s going to help the leaders see that you should be promoted. Get involved.

Last edited by Yonkers; 01-21-12 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Fixed for you

Your post is very hard to read Doug.

I don't know what happens on this forum. Whan I cut and paste text it dfoes that here. Any sugestions?

If you're using word it's your settings. Try using just the plain vanilla text program. I use a mac so I don't have those problems. I hope this helps.

Credits
    Savings
    Doug, despite your text problem, it was a great message.

Dave, I emailed the cut-paste to you. Hope it helps. It could be the font I suppose.

If the shoe fits

If the Shoe Fits...5 Ways to Find Your Function

Author:Pastor Gary Keesee | Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 10:31am

I was in a church one time when this big bus rolled in with a band’s name on the side. I thought I was going to be witnessing some great concert, but I was wrong. The band was awful. They couldn’t sing. In fact, it was one of the worst noises I have ever heard in my life. This band had spent all of this money on instruments, and on this bus, when they could have better used that money somewhere else. It was like watching American Idol tryouts. Have you ever wondered where these people’s friends are? Why hasn’t anyone told them? Where is their mom? Why didn't someone tell them they couldn't sing?

That’s how silly it looks for us to try to do something that we’re not gifted for. We can try to move in directions and do things because we think that’s where the money is, because we think it’s cool or popular, or because that’s where we think the glory is, but we just end up embarrassing ourselves if we try to function as something other than what God has designed us for.

The dictionary defines ‘function’ as an activity or purpose natural to or intended for a person or thing; a practical use or purpose in design.

Look at a cup. It has a very defined function. It’s made to be a cup. If I try to use it for something else, it isn’t going to be effective. We have people all over the Body of Christ who are trying to be something other than the cups they were called to be, but they’re not effective. We have to find our fit—our specific purpose and function.

Paul talks about function in I Corinthians 12. He’s reminding the church that the body is ONE unit and he’s teaching them about the importance of functioning that way. In verse 15, he says, “If the foot should say, ‘Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,’ is it therefore not of the body?” See, the devil will lie to you if you don’t understand proper function. He’ll tell you you’re not important, that you’re not valuable. He’ll tell you there isn’t glory in what you’re doing because you can’t sing, or you’re not on the platform, or at the forefront, but that’s a lie. You can think you’re insignificant, but the whole body has been arranged just as God wanted it to be. That inferiority was happening in Corinth. Paul was correcting that. He was also correcting the people on the other side—the prideful ones.

We all know someone who has ‘spiritual dreams’ every night. You know, the person who wants to tell you all about how God tells them what color shirt to wear, what color socks to wear, all of it. Why do people do that? Because they have spiritual pride. See, pride says, ‘Look at me! Look at all my spiritual gifts! I don’t need you! I hear God for myself.’ But that’s a very dangerous road to go down. That road will take you right out of here. You can’t get your identity by being more spiritual than others. People like that think they have a spiritual mind, but Paul says the opposite. He says they have lost connection with the head—with Jesus Christ. You don’t want to follow anyone like that. People were looking down on each other in the church and Paul was correcting that. Because those parts of the Body that seem to be weaker are indispensable. God has orchestrated the function of every person in the body no matter how small.

Ask any leader what the most valuable giftings are in your church and they’re likely to say helps and administrations. Those aren’t the people in the forefront or on the platform, but everything would crumble in five seconds without those vital people—those vital functions.

Instead of clamoring for attention, being jealous of each other, trying to posture ourselves as being more important, and following after the people we think have the most anointing, we should be functioning in unity. We should be edifying others and building them up. We should be loving people and honoring God. That’s why chapters 12, 13, and 14 flow together. Paul dives right in there. He wants us to recognize the significance of every function.

We’re all going to stand before Christ someday and tell what we did with our assignment. Someone is depending on your function. How will you answer when you’re asked how you used it?

The people you thought were so eloquent and spiritual may just be in the back, while some little, old lady who quietly interceded at her house every day will be at the front because she was faithful over that call, that assignment, that function.

So, no more rock star mentalities. We’re in this together. Find your function and add value to the whole Body.

So, how do you find your function? Here’s FIVE ways:

1.What bothers you? What problems do you want to fix? Others might not see the same things you see because that’s your function. See a wall with a dent in it? Grab a paintbrush. Become the answer.

2.What brings you the greatest satisfaction? In the earth-cursed system, we made all of our decisions based on money. We had to do what was asked of us in order to make money. Because of that, people don’t really know what brings them true satisfaction. So, experiment. Try some things. Find out what brings you satisfaction.

3.Start doing something. It’s hard to evaluate something from standstill. Jump in somewhere.

4.Remember to own the vision, not the position. A small church starts up and they need a musician. After some time, a lady finally speaks up and says she took about 6 months of lessons, so they give her the job. Eventually the church grows, and a ‘more seasoned’ piano player is put in position. But that lady with the 6 months of lessons gets offended when they ask her to do something else. Don’t be her. Don’t get offended. Be willing to be moved around. Own the vision, not the position.

5.Volunteer. If you won’t do it for free, why should you get paid to do it? Most of our staff began as volunteers. God is going to promote you. He’s going to help the leaders see that you should be promoted. Get involved.

THANK YOU DOUG,THATWAS A GOOD SERMON, I am looking for my functions and i ask god to help me look for them i haven't found them yet but iam looking.
    SEMPER FI AND GOD BLESS YOU

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Thanks Dave.

Doc. keep asking and listening. Get into the Bible and most often I find what zZI'm waiting to hear hiddeen in what God's word is speaking to me.

Absolutely the best post I have read in years. And you can not go wrong rying to help others, can you? Semper Fi, Tom

I don't know what happens on this forum. Whan I cut and paste text it dfoes that here.Buy Tera Gold
    Tera Power Leveling
    Tera Items

Quote Originally Posted by jannypan View Post
    I don't know what happens on this forum. Whan I cut and paste text it dfoes that here.Buy Tera Gold
    Tera Power Leveling
    Tera Items

Troll!

Great message as usual. I just now had a few minutes and needed some inspiration.
    Keep it up!

Best thoughts and prayers, Tom

Thread Information